Rolo Patterdale DOB 25.12.11 Gatwick Kenns

Our terrific Terriers available for homing! Find Jack Russell, Patterdale, Lakeland, Fell and former Working Terrier breeds here! Other small breeds may also be listed in this sub-forum!
Rescue Remedies

Re: Rolo Patterdale DOB 25.12.11 Tunbridge Wells Foster

Post by Rescue Remedies » Tue May 27, 2014 5:47 pm

Rolo has had a funny old day today.....he was a sleepy boy when I went into his bedroom this morning (he, Kingsley and Joab take it in turns to share the bed with Jackson, Zena and me) and he didn't feel like eating his breakfast....a little bit of chicken was OK and a gentle walk round the park, but then it was straight back to bed. Not like him at all....always ready for his meals and walks.

I really don't know what all that was about, by lunchtime he was back to his effervescent self, chasing his tennis ball and then waiting with anticipation by the front door for his afternoon two hour walk with Kingsley.

Thank goodness....his tail was wagging, he was jumping up and down, he was squeaking with excitement....he is such a happy boy.

He is beginning to lose his "chunkiness"....there's still some way to go....but he's really energetic and enthusiastic on his walks, and when I go to pick up the dogs at the end pf their exercise he runs the last fifty yards or so as he's so pleased to see the man who feeds him!!

He has come such a long way in the time he has been here....he is really affectionate and lust loves to settle down beside you and snuggle up close to you. And he gives you the most gentle of washes with his soft little tongue.

He is a bundle of energy and has a delightful naughty boy expression with his two dark eyes peering at you through his wiry rough coat!!! He is a real character who will keep you entertained when he's not snoozing beside you on the sofa.

Oh....and he likes leek and potato soup.

Rescue Remedies

Post by Rescue Remedies » Tue May 27, 2014 5:48 pm

What a delightful little chap! A true terrier.....doesn't like to be bossed around....but a real character; chasing after his special ball which he carries with him whenever he goes on his walks. That's just as well really in that it limits his ability to bark at other dogs or other people who approach too close to us. But he loves his walks, still running after two hours, and they are definitely having the desired effect on his weight. They don't seem to be changing his overall shape a great deal, but I would guess he has lost at least a kilogram in the time he has been here.

Anyone looking for an energetic and affectionate little boy should look no further....he'll keep you entertained throughout your time together and the way he looks at you, with his head cocked to one side, is so endearing.

He's ready for adoption and would love to share your life.

Rescue Remedies

Post by Rescue Remedies » Tue May 27, 2014 5:48 pm

It's Rolo's night out tonight....sadly it's not what it sounds like....it means it's his turn to settle down by himself in the kitchen. He gets on so well with the majority of the residents here.

When I go to take him out, he will welcome me, with a ball in his mouth, like a long lost friend, with a wagging tail and a gentle lick.

He is such an affectionate little lad when he gets to know you and, when all the various folk who undertake my walking duties arrive, I don't put a muzzle on him and he runs up to them, really excitedly, obviously well aware of what the next couple of hours has in store. And he is now not walked with a muzzle either except when it's "home time" for the children leaving the school round the corner. He still does lunge at people who pass by too close for his comfort, but even that is less frequent.

He is a truly active and energetic little lad who never appears to tire or become bored at chasing and returning his ball. He has the cheekiness of a youngster and will entertain you the entire evening if that's what you want!! But he also snuggles up close to you if you just want a quiet evening on the sofa!!

Rescue Remedies

Post by Rescue Remedies » Tue May 27, 2014 5:49 pm

Rolo was accorded full membership of the (front) Sitting Room Club yesterday. This means he has unfettered access to the front room at any time rather than have to be invited in " as a guest"!! He's allowed to stand on the armchairs in the baywindow and watch the world go by, he's even permitted to share a space on the settee with Jackson without so much as a growl on the part of the original and sole resident.

This morning he was left in the room, along with Jackson, Zena and Kingsley while I went to pick up Joab after his two hour walk in the "off lead, secluded and secure area" in the local woods. All was well when we returned. Previously, Rolo had always upset the others causing friction and barking and humping everything in sight.....what a good boy he has become!!

I still have to be careful when we meet new people on our walks....he could well jump at them and show them his teeth....but people he knows he is so pleased to see them....yes, he does rest his paws on their legs (not really "jumps up" at them) and licks and greets them excitedly anticipating a pat, a cuddle and, perhaps, a walk.

He continues to lose weight....still more to go....but losing weight slowly I think is sustainable. Losing weight, mainly because he now gets regular one and two hour walks every day, rather than reducing the size of his meals a great deal.

He really is a lovely and affectionate little boy. He still has things to learn, but is always keen to please....sitting before his meal is set down and giving a paw when offered a treat.

Rescue Remedies

Post by Rescue Remedies » Tue May 27, 2014 5:49 pm

Gosh! It's over a month since my last "post" on the adorable, yet feisty, little Rolo.

He is a terrier from the tip of his nose to the end of his little tail. Always excited to meet and greet anybody he knows....rushing along the hall to welcome his dogwalker, with his little, stumpy tail wagging furiously. He's not so keen to have his muzzle put on, but we live near a school with children running back and forth at all times of the day and he can jump up and show his teeth to people he doesn't know, so it is in his interest that he has to wear it when he leaves and returns to the house.

On his walks he enjoys chasing and fetching his ball and exploring in the long wet grass!!

He loves a cuddle, can be a bit "mouthy" but quickly settles to snoozes away the evening beside me on the settee. We can just about squash four dogs on to the cushions at any one time, with me taking up no more than my "share" of the space and Zena probably have about double that of anybody else!!.

He is a lovely little man, needs a bit of understanding, but repays kindness with affection and loyalty.

Rescue Remedies

Post by Rescue Remedies » Tue May 27, 2014 5:50 pm

Rolo is one bundle of fun....a spring waiting to be released....if that's what springs do.

His tail never ceases to be in "double time" mode, he follows you around like a shadow whenever you are in his room, and begs or pleads with you for a tasty morsel when you open the fridge door.....I can understand why he came to us a little over weight.

I tend to walk him on a muzzle round here as he is quite forward and there is a school just round the corner. I admit, he has "nipped" a couple of people here who have come to walk him and they've not really given him his "space"....they approached him too quickly. Now they have learned how to handle him he's fine with them...so it's certainly something of which you should be aware, but equally something that is manageable.

He really is a joyful little lad, so full of enthusiasm and keenness. Do, please, ask yourself if you can offer him a "forever home"....his love of life is infectious.

Rescue Remedies

Post by Rescue Remedies » Tue May 27, 2014 5:50 pm

My dear little Rolo is snoring away this dirty, nasty New Year's Day beside me on the settee, which we're sharing with Jackson, Kingsley and Joab. The other residents will get their chance to share some "together time" later this afternoon.

Rolo went out for his customary walk this morning even though it was pouring with rain....I don't think a blizzard would prevent him for enjoying his exercise, or chasing and searching for his ball in the piles of dead leaves in the park.

I am really pleased with the way he has come to terms with being part of a multidog household....he was quite vocal and periodically "popped" at the others when he first arrived....he is much more docile now, but still retains his feisty nature when meeting dogs outside.

He's an intelligent little lad and learns very quickly. Yesterday I thought I would teach him to catch little pieces of sausage....initially, it was a case of him turning away from the oncoming sausage, I suppose he thought I was throwing something "at" him rather than "for" him. Very soon, however, when he realised that they were something to eat, he got the idea to open his mouth and catch them....and he's retained that ability today....what a clever boy!!! And he remembers, from day to day, where he's left his special ball....he doesn't just come across it, he goes straight to it.

He's a cute boy who listens to you by cocking his head on one side and looking at you through those sparkling dark eyes peering at you through his black fur....so sweet!!!!

Come on....give him a chance, please....he's adorable.

Rescue Remedies

Post by Rescue Remedies » Tue May 27, 2014 5:51 pm

I was a little in love when I met Rolo in the summer so it was good to meet the leaner boy again and yes there is less of him and I love him a little bit more!

Rescue Remedies

Thank you, Brian, for these super photos of my dear little (well certainly much smaller) Rolo.

Surely you can't resist this little lad now...he's such a fun loving boy, chasing up and down the hall, welcoming his dogwalker with his tiny tail wagging furiously.

It is true that he can become somewhat over exuberant and introductions need to be controlled carefully and, to that end, I tend to walk him in a muzzle as we live near a school....better safe than sorry. But he has made real progress here and it's time for him to move into his own home where he can continue to share his love of life with his new found friends.

Rescue Remedies

This is what Rolo thought of our Astro Turf catwalk...