Re: Rescue Remedies Diary May 2021 - July 2021

A behind the scenes look at our work
xxlynne

Post by xxlynne »

Wondering what to write and fallen back on events of the day which gives an in depth look at the Rescue

Didn't sleep last night as sometimes I carry a lot of tension in my body and the pillow feels like lead. My Max was also on the move and got himself stuck under my bedside table and also very unlike him laid a parcel. It may not have helped there being such wind and rain last night and the dogs didn't want to stay out for anytime. Hot milk and an oatcakes and cheese and the radio helps. However up at 6.45 and Royce as first out then his breakfast. Meanwhile I'm washing and dressing then Lady the greyhound out into the back paddock and the gates unlocked and heat lamps switched off. Noticed 4 men running around and smiled; Alfie's gang had said they would be early to clear the carnage of the hair cut to a Willow, sadly the downing of another Ash that was cracked and leaning into the carpark area and 4 ashes that were young trees but had rooted on a concrete platform and were vulnerable to fall into front paddocks. Generally putting house dogs into side garden and back paddock and feeding when Claire arrives 7.30 (Claire comes 4 days a week and does the house dogs and grounds with me)and we notice Jay one of the men has climbed high into the 2 tall oaks by the bridge as they had said they would balance them to make them more secure and less risk to cars and walkers. Claire walks Ralph whilst I read my emails and prep his food.

Eddie calls with sad news Darrel had to have his Tia 14 year old Staffie put to sleep last night as her legs completely went, so Eddie is calling in on way to work to be there for him as he is so upset. We had to lay Darrel our builder off yesterday due to shortage of funds so mixed blessing for him to have time to sort his emotions and adjust to life after his 14 year best friend. He lost his wife about 6 years ago so this will hit him especially hard. Yesterday one of the big projects was to transfer info. from my old iPhone to my 'new' one which I had previously not managed to succeed in. I had worked out "move the sim card first!" and so all went well. My spare is very problematic as everyone knows who has called my phone over the last 2 months so once it was all successful I ordered another so I could finally ditch my old spare. (Owen our Feral boy has a passion for iphones and has chewed 2x in 5 months why I put it them down in his room ...stupid me). Confirmation second iphone is being sent today. Also confirmation 3 gate lock units have been processed for sending This was a big project this week to try and get replacements and in the end having been told they were passed warrantee I questioned it and their warranty period suddenly changed from 2 to 6 years. Really lovely firm to deal with actually, so they will arrive soon. Looked at my long list of tasks to do today whilst having a coffee with Claire and my dogs. Confirmation of Data Protection cover renewal for Rescue and Kennels one job I did yesterday Email exchange with Gemma the vet practise manage and OK vet visit for 11.30
Stump of the Ash we lost
Stump of the Ash we lost
Met Eddie on his arrival and chatted ref dear Darrel. We then went to look at projects. I asked him to unpack the sliding hatches and check they are right as we have had them 5 days now and will need to act promptly if not suitable. We then went to Tigga's room and I asked could he put the new window in today as I was worried about the glass units lying around with all that wind last night. Eddie jumped into action, and Claire moved Tigga temp into Baxter's kennel for the day. I cleaned the paddocks ready for the day as the staff hadn't had time yesterday. I knew Geoff was arriving at 10.30 with the view me taking Genie to the vets to review his skin. In the end we are both taking photo's for our vets as I had 3 others that needed our vet and didn't want Genie crammed in with 3 other dogs. Discussed with Geoff about Tye's needs and suggest possible best way to get him over his nerves in going for a walk. I suggested he shut all the other dog in and simply opened his door into the secure area outside his kennel and then gently picked up the lead if Tye indicated he was happy. Tye has been very frightened since arrival. Claire took pictures of Zion's skin also for my vet. I then sorted out the cash and cheques and prepped for bank visit on route back from vets. Sorted out 2 vaccination cards we needed sorting. Trudie 2 vaccinations need to go on to one card. Marie's original card came back torn to shreds and booster with another vet unrecorded. So wrote all the details done of the vet of the previous owner had had her booster with so our vet practise nurse could sort for us. Then I loaded the van with Basil for his booster, Bluey for his 1st vac and little Chelsea and 17 year old toy poodle we took in yesterday for vet check and vaccination. Chelsea travelled in the front sweet little love.

Our senior vet met me soon after arrival and took in the various tasks and we managed them all. I then travelled on to the bank and always get a great reception as the cashiers love to hear any dog stories. Back at the kennels and I put the dogs back and caught up with the staff. news of the day! Stan the Patterdale isn't neutered WHAT! He came from another Rescue who had him a long time my fault how silly of me we are an exceptional Rescue who neuter on entry. So will organise for Stan's neuter soon I double checked ..and yes the staff were very right. Lunch and put washing out 2 phone calls both were to offer donations to our dogs (Phone has been quiet today!). Checked emails Diana from the homing team is very much at her desk loads of emails. We only are 1 week behind on applicants now so just 31 sitting awaiting allocation, but then Dianna and June have just taken over 25 on each over the last 2 days. Just aren't the right family situations to accommodate our dogs or families not interested in the dogs we suggest. Expectations high and our dogs's needs are what they are.
Tigga's new window
Tigga's new window
Homings are very very slow.
Bank Balance very low.
Still using heat lamps so electricity bill very very high.
Kennels are full with urgent dogs tapping at our window.

Joined Claire for work on the land. Suggested we clear stinging nettles at the side of the paddocks but both paddocks were in constant use so moved back to clearing an area of land behind the mobile home which proved challenging with carpet and old roofing buried. Chatted with Becca who returned for m her break away with Baxter; Diane who is giving Owen and Wilson for over an hour a day now; Geoff feeding positive news back on Genie and Tye; Jan feeding positive news on Bonnie.
Our Willow with a hair cut
Our Willow with a hair cut
Stephen called. He was in a van hire shop sorting out project for us. We have found 20 mesh kennel doors in Loughborough but no means to get. Stephen and I had a long chat on Sunday and the plan has emerged. We is hiring a van and organised with the 'door seller' to collect late afternoon night. So after discussion with Stephen I went in to pay for the van hire and to pay for the kennel door units. Then fed back to Stephen and he is running with the project for us tomorrow late afternoon ... fantastico! Joined Anna, Claire, Steph and Eddie for coffee. Daizy drank my coffee!...BUT this allowed me to remove a tick from her face which we didn't think we would be able to do. I'd asked the kennel staff to sort the food room out ready for more food. Claire and I then moved foods over to the kennel block from my spare food store. I put large food order in. Fed and moved the house dogs around while Claire moved Tigga back into his room and Baxter into his. Staff just leaving 6.45 with feed back on a heat lamp smoking on turning it on so was not operational in one of the kennels...worrying! Sat down to write the diary. Will do various things on the list tonight including putting Tye and Chelsea's threads up. Will then rewrite the list for tomorrow as will be in the office addressing many things screaming at me.
Daizy enjoying afternoon tea (Coffee)
Daizy enjoying afternoon tea (Coffee)
(Note on Joycee: Finally got the care plan changed to give my mother relief during thee day as she was sitting 8am until 4 pm on the days I don't go to her. Should have started Saturday..it didn't I called Sunday 10.30 and they said yes she gets it every day I said but she hasn't. Do you have someone arranged to go in today...hesitation and cough splutter ..yes we do however they are off sick(!!!) OK I said I'll jump in the car and go there now so can you organise someone for tomorrow and the usual Tuesday, Friday and Sunday. Yes! So I went Sunday this week so have 3 days in a row this week to do 'things' Joycee has her cleaner and gardener go in on Wednesdays. Here is Joycee's problem She is eating a chocolate moose. Note: how blue her hands are and the difficulty she has managing a spoon. Her wheat hand warmer is under her bowl

Click here to learn how to add YouTube Videos to your phpBB forum
xxlynne

Post by xxlynne »

Mid May and at last we are not needing to use heat lamps. The lighter evenings are here so walkers are staying later.

Very challenging times are here. Today has been monumental.

1) Giftaid Review: Today we put our final submission into the Giftaid review which brings to a conclusion the review and we will now receive a massive bill to pay within the next 30 days. We had mistakenly claimed on the whole adoption donation but found we could only claim on any additional donation above the minimum amount. In truth the money has benefited many dogs in the past so its like repayment time. The people we have worked with have been very appreciative of our work and fair to us but a big repayment is due just at the time we are very short of funds. Fortunately as I own the kennels we are allowing the Rescue to delay payments. The only way we have been able to do this is to lay our builder off and not replace the staff member who is leaving. We will be very short staffed until we can 'right the ship'. We are all grateful to the kennel staff for the hard work and long hours they give to our dogs to fulfil the needs of our dogs.
Mandy
Mandy
2) Giftaid Audit: I completed my in depth review and audit of the giftaid details on excel of all donations received which impact on our bank account, apart from the paypal and other income streams like easyfunding. It feels good to be up to date but has taken sooo much time. I haven't had any time for what feels forever. Never an evening off one quest after another with so many elements screaming at me to meet needs. NOW we can catch up with our claims and bring in vital money to allow us to pay our bills in the coming month.

3) Final Accounts: Sent off the final year accounts 2019/2020 approved to our accountant today. So time for me to write the annual report which I will start next week God willing.

4) Intake: Homings are very slow so obviously we can not offer on dogs unless life and death. Over the past week we have taken in 2.
Chelsea who is a 17 year old toy poodle who was a 'flat dog' (No garden and never walked). She used a puppy pad in the bathroom but since her owner has been in hospital with Covid her routine lapsed and on return, she was doing an occasional accident i.e once a day. Her owner couldn't cope and so she came to us as an emergency which we were grateful for, as most vets wouldn't have qualms about putting to sleep an 17 year old dog rather than her pass into a new home. She is gem. Chelsea is now in temp. foster.
Susie Tibetan Terrier x I had a call from the police on Sunday afternoon. Please could we help no one else would. They had broken into a house to find a deceased with his dog guarding the decayed body. They couldn't get the dog to come away and she was bearing her teeth. I went to collect a catchpole thinking I probably wouldn't need to use it. I made speed trying not to break the speed limit as even my mission wouldn't excuse my misdemeanour. As I drew up the police waved, they had been able to get Susie from her owner's body and to drink 2 bowls of water. They think she had been beside his body for 5 days. Susie came in very scared and 'lost' but over the days she has learnt to trust. She had a bath today and went into temp. foster.
Henry
Henry
5) Insurance case: Also submitted our insurance case today. A jogger ran up to one of our dogs and both handler and dog were startled and our dog held the leg but no real damage just bruising. After polite discussion, it all turned nasty the next day and so police have now been around and we have had to submit details into our insurance company as the jogger wants to engage a solicitor even though she would only be able to claim if there was significant damage or financial cost. Our dog has a control order and must be muzzled for life outside. So despite our appeal to the police that the jogger was not observing social distancing and practically ran into our dog from behind, they stated they have to apply a control order if there is a 'bite incident to a member of public'. This is how harsh the law is now. As you know we insist our dogs are retained on lead outside for life as so many people are ready to take against any dog who defends themselves, protects their owner or doesn't turn the other cheek if propositioned. On a lead you are more able to support the situation and avoid drastic outcomes. Bad luck on our part but thank God we are insured and the Insurance company supports the measures we take to promote good dog management outside.

6) Printer: My printer saga has gone on since last January 20 when my printer went wrong. I couldn't get one then, on a major shop on opening from lockdown sold me a display one as there were none to have as 'working from home' had lead to a rush on them. That printer never worked well and would only print feint grey. In the end I went on the phone and the technician decided I'd been unlucky and arranged for delivery of a new one and collection of the 'nearly new one'. For 6 weeks can print but scanner wasn't connecting into the computer. 2 long telephone calls and many emailexchanges and managed to get the scanner going but only 1 page at a time so where I need to send a bank statement with remarks on, I would need to send 6 scanned copies per month! Today I tried again and wrote the 'Put up with this I will not!' email and went out to find a printer. I needed it to match the printer ink I had from the old one and 2 places I tried were out of stock. I came back and tried 2 major stores for home delivery as local stores didn't have: They wouldn't take the order. I then went to the actual printer firm's website and ordered with them and it arrives tomorrow! Happy days!

7) OH and yes the silver work Kangoo van is finished. So we will use it for 3 more journeys to the builders yard 200 meters away to get rid of our rubble then take to scrap if it makes the journey and take off spares for the green van. Having not got money in the kennel account or my personal account having just paid my council tax ...1 van will have to do for my mother; dog trips and dump trips for a while.

Life feels really hard at the moment especially as I don't have enough time to spend with the dogs as I would love to do. As I come out of the house away from the computer I have a mantra going through my head...
Bluey
Bluey
The 2 bird boxes we put up have blue tits nesting in them! My mother is still with us. My Max is still with me. I still have one van! Spring is here. We haven't had any returns of late though 2 foster dogs BuskyBear and Buddie come back in the next few days. Iso. kennel is nearly ready for use. Lovely to see new walkers coming through. Wonderful to witness the walkers board with so many walkers here and helping our dogs. I've had 2 vaccinations now and am hearing of others receiving theirs. Our lovely dogs await their new families and they make progress week by week. The Rescue will survive despite our financial blip. We will survive!!!
RubyTuesday
RubyTuesday
Thank you all for caring bravo1.gif bravo1.gif bravo1.gif
xxlynne

Post by xxlynne »

Every day is full of events today Eddie and I discussed the day and we agreed for Eddie to focus on the paddocks. He repaired the swing, platform and agreed he'd focus on getting the "sit on" mower out of the small paddock. We discussed driving the van through and I went off to feed the house dogs and prep for a vet visit.

When I got back from vaccinating Jupiter and leaving Baxter for a dental, skin tag removal and exploration of his foot problem I saw Eddie with the mower tied up to the van and he was pumping up a tyre. 3 hours later I noted the van and mower was still there and seeing Eddie we chatted and he said he was waiting for me to drive the van to the scrap yard with him on the mower. I organised things and was soon in the driver seat and Eddie was in his driving seat!
IMG_7087.JPG
I was driving at 10 miles an hour and Eddie said you can go faster...I leapt up to 15! There was smoke out the back of the van, a burning smell and lots of noise which I presumed was coming from the mower with it's flat tyre/ ripped tyre. We drove onwards and cars were waving to us on our steady journey and the smell was stronger...as we neared the scrap yard the burning was intense and POW! The bonnet erupted with smoke the oil ran out all on the road...our van died... so 20 yards from, what became our final destination, we ended up delivering 2 worn out machines.
IMG_7086.JPG
IMG_7085.JPG

Click here to learn how to add YouTube Videos to your phpBB forum
xxlynne

Post by xxlynne »

Today feels weird. When you lose a member of your pack your head is spinning and you feel the need to be kind to yourself, tred carefully and anything you achieve is a bonus. A close bereavement takes you out of your comfort zone and you feel you are given a rare opportunity to step outside, view from a detached perspective and be there for the others in your pack who are needing extra special care as they adjust. Max became a very old man 15 years and was falling over a lot and struggling to regain his standing. Then he was tearing around at a speed which made him a danger to himself, like his brakes were slammed on too short to avoid a collision course. He did so with great "joie de vivre". Max's energy continued to out reach his frail body confines. As many of you know, particularly those, living within a pack; Your life style exists around certain constructs which are set up around particular pack members needs, and are continually revised around emerging needs. I always had soft items around for Max to run into. Max had his own little pillow cave next to the radiator in the bedroom, when he could no longer jump up on 'his chair'. It consisted of a soft dog bed platform surrounded by a wall of pillows. These pillows prevented Max getting stuck under the bed and was a 'run in pad'. When I changed the dogs around at night if Max came into the bedroom and his little cave wasn't set up he got extremely perplexed. Max wasn't the brightest and you needed to make allowances for his slow uptake or lack of up take. In human terms Max would have been the last to get the joke if he ever got the joke. Max thrived on consistency and routine.

Max's Back story / HIS story: Max came from Wales. I had been rescuing Lakeland Terriers from breeders around that time 2006 mainly from Wales. The Rescue started with me rescuing the breeds I had personally Rescued i.e. Fox terriers, Lakelands and Irish Terriers. I often would go to Wales and collect an ex-breeding bitch and bring her home spay, groom and prep for homing, habilitating from a kennel upbringing. I witnessed sheds full of 2 tier crates with one exercise period a day. The only freedom was with their mother after confinement for 8 weeks there of. Most puppies were sold but many were kept back for showing or breeding. I gain trust with the breeders I worked with. They agreed to give me Charlie one of the studs as he was rarely used now and they had seen me successfully rehab. bitches which they thought would never make family homes due to temperament etc. They did tell me they had studed him with a local village bitch recently and they laughed because Charlie was a handful. I called them to arrange to collect Charlie and they said 'oh sorry Charlie we put to sleep as he bit a lady who went into his kennel with food'. He was very frustrated in kennels. I was really upset; perhaps had I been able to come forwards earlier when I first heard of him he would have come to me. A little time later from the same area in Wales I was approached by a family had been given my number. They had a 6 month Lakeland pup which was not settling with her children and was living in the back garden as he couldn't be trusted. The lady stated my brother had the bitch, mated with a show Lakeland but the litter isn't any good 3 of them have already been put to sleep I fear for Max (Then known as Rex and renamed by one of his homers). I always thought Max was one of Charlie's and the closest I ever got to helping Charlie. Max went on 2 be returned from 2 homes and when he was returned the last time I was then using Gatwick and here he was over 2 years later standing there and remembering how he enjoyed pack living, I just opened up his kennel door and put him in the dog mobile. Any way I digress...

Yesterday was a bizarre day. Max had been so ill I had thought he would pass in the night, but he started walking around about 3 pm and so I gave him the benefit of the doubt and was watching him carefully. He was lying by my computer as I typed at last sleeping again when I got the call from my mother the carers had called an ambulance and they were putting her in hospital. I was suddenly on the phone to the care agency, doctors surgery, social services and my brother. We explained my mother is fully aware and has a right to self -determination. There had been no discussion with her or myself. 50 years ago care agencies and health made decision about people: In 2021 they need to make decisions WITH their client/ patient. I was trying to get the ambulance cancelled and then my brother called me back "We can take mum in for a few weeks if you bring her here" (Cotswolds). We were all thinking if she goes into hospital its going to be impossible to rehab her after a weakening period of being in bed and if she tries to walk she is likely to fall. Having worked in many hospitals I have realism on the disabling impact stays in hospital have on vulnerable. So I told them if they can't cancel the ambulance explain to them sorry but the family are going to take Joycee into their care. I asked Eddie to come as I would need his help to get Joycee in the van. As we were nearing I engaged my phone to find loads of miss calls. Then the phone went and I heard Eddie say you are not going to be happy. She has left in the ambulance. We changed direction and headed for the hospital. Parked and as we talked to A&E receptionist she checked the system...she hasn't arrived yet she could be in one of those 2 ambulances. We walked over to find Joycee smiling as she was being ramped off the back of the ambulance. We agreed to call in an hour's time as they will need to check her as the carers were saying she was now totally immobile and they had find a bit of a temperature. YES its a hot day and she has been very stressed. Long story short and 3 calls later were we welcomed into back at A&E and escorted to the Clinical Decisions Unit. The staff were just amazed that a family wanted to step forwards to meet need, rather than leave a very elderly relative in hospital thinking it is best for them. We arrived back at kennels and I rushed to see Max. Claire was in tears she had rearranged the room to give him a safe space to pacing around but had finally settled and was breathing heavily. I shot over to a little village near Banbury and decamped my mother and drove straight back arriving 1.30am Max was still sleeping, heavily and so I carried his bed into the place he always slept by my bed. He was breathing heavily and rapidly but not really awake. I was working out how I would get him to our vets without disturbing him and planning the route for minimum corners and bumps with the plan to ask Claire to hold his bed on her lap with him so she could reassure him. At around 4 his breathing got quieter. I didn't want to disturb him so climbed over the bed and I and Marcus looked down on him about 4.30 he was breathing. A little noise 30 minutes later and we both peered down and his little tail was trembling. He went quiet about 5.10 I thought ahh...at 5.15 I went over and touched him he had gone.

Eddie dug his grave opposite my house window and we gently dropped soil back to cover him and bury him.
Toby, Max and Monty
Toby, Max and Monty
So today I am cleaning and sorting and a weird feeling that I have at least a week of focusing down on tasks to hand. I will be able to complete some tasks and commence some new projects as we emotionally settle. Max is the last of my pack of 8; Fern, Minxie, Glen, Toby, Monty, Mackie and Brandy. Tootsie joined us when we lost Mackie. Fifi was our separated dog. Lily and Mika was with the pack also but when Marcus came the energy was too much to accommodate Lily and Tootsie together. End of an era. Life moves on..
xxlynne

Post by xxlynne »

Just wanted to pop in to and thank you for all your emails and kind wishes. It is strange to be on the receiving end as my personal life is usually in the background but came out in thunder this week. So much of my time nowadays is expressing good wishes and moving our dogs, who have completed their lives in the midst of the families they adopted, over to Rainbow Bridge here on the Forum. I have Peace in my heart remembering the nerves on first saying yes to receiving them, getting to build up trust and unpack their baggage and then searching through applications for the 'right match'. Am so grateful when our families take the time to let us know how our dogs are getting on by registering on the Forum and searching for their 'loved ones's Rescue thread. Then coming to us that their loved one has past. In Dog Rescue you are facing death so often thankfully with our Rescue mainly where dogs have been given the opportunity to live life to the full.
Kami
Kami
All is well. Our Rescue has grown and continues to survive as I am innately a positive person and obviously the main influencer, guild and guardian. Some people rumour "I'm not a people person" which is becoming a very hollow echo. My mind is swamped with things I am needing to do so I rarely 'chit chat'. I am not an innocent. I am not a romantic. I am Pragmatic: Realistic: Embroiled in the nitty gritty and I delve deep to find the best solutions we can achieve within very limited resources. Be in no doubt my heart is melded in with our dogs, their rights and needs and I stand firm. A true Rescuer will always be integrally protective of their vulnerable. I am a RESCUER and THERAPIST by nature in my boots. I will always see with hope, potential and exploit talent. I do this with people too and I have built many therapy teams and now a Rescue we are all proud of... linking our arms around our celebrity dogs. I think people expect me to praise them perhaps more than I do, but then I don't like to be on the receiving end of praise myself. We are just all shoulder to the grind wheel and our dogs are the ones offering their licks, and love as our reward. So perhaps its people's expectations and perhaps they need more social milieu which within Covid Guidelines they can have on site. there is the hard endeavour they encounter with myself. I am involved from cleaning kennels and rooms and clearing drains, washing up and laundering bedding etc. I am far from remote but my mind is buzzing away on lateral thinking trying to resolve.
Rocky
Rocky
The signature tune of a positive culture is colleagues engaged AND focused in tasks and everyone feeling the 'calling' to help, whilst understanding of the limitations we have to hand. In a positive culture the negative leave or slowly realise their fears, superior take on all things, or focus on failings are not deflecting us from our quest. Many of you will have tried to contribute in negative teams where the discussions are about others failings, drip drip drip using this to inflate their own 'intelligent take'. These people lack the realism and fail in noticing other people integral worth and they applauded their favoured ones who support their own importance. People become alienated from the cliche or core of important people. You observe people 'chewing the cud', gossiping behind backs, their body language is down and they eye contact shifty. They rarely stand up for the absent or voice the other side of the discussion. They leave a bad smell when they walk out of the room as they display their actual convenient slant on facts, without the guts to sometimes state the obvious contributing factors which make the situation complex. The silences are left where someone could have balanced the conversation to add in a positive truth. We work, socialise and live with people who plug into the negative and are defeatists. Social media has a dreadful impact on peoples lives. I say all this, as people do need to appreciate each other more. It is great to witness such engaged chatter on site feeding back observations between volunteers.

We have a positive energy in the Rescue with the focus on what we are achieving. This is so important in the service we offer and new walkers are adding to the positive all the time as they pick up on the good vibes. Our dogs therefore thrive and that is why I often comment and that is why I will go all out to protect our culture as it is vital in our work. We focus on improvement and almighty steps our dogs make against the odds, rather than writing them off and inferring economics as a factor of perhaps making a 'decision'. People often ask me if I can recommend another Rescue and I cant as ethics are everything and you would need an in-depth analysis of that Rescues makeup; purpose; mission and where their decision lines are drawn. Karma means you can't align without knowing integrally their ethics. My heart is full praise seeing our volunteers and staff so focused and achieving such 'miracles' A few pictures of our dogs who are making progress through to sterling endeavours by all and a few special champions inparticular
Tommy
Tommy
So we are in the current climate operating more on Sanctuary lines. We pick up broken dogs or dogs from broken circumstances in a good Samarian way. Rescues don't take risks nowadays when a dog lacks dog skills or has bitten, is an escapee, or simply the 'wrong breed' for easy homings. We are supporting and working with those many dogs from impoverished or stark confused backgrounds. We are endeavouring to give them the best on offer and improve their environment within the practicalities of facilities available. I will do quite a few diary entries over the next week as I feel on holiday as I am at the kennels. I want to do an entry on kennel design and various other ideas.
Marco
Marco
Thank you for everyone who ran with the Delfie competition which is an example of having fun whilst earnestly trying to get financial support for us to continue to survive. We have our Standing Orders campaign running on the website and forum and if everyone who witnesses our work wants to help the best thing you can do is spend 2 mins on the phone to your bank setting up a Standing order within your means to help us pay our bills. We have cleared our debt this week, but are not in the position to pay our kennel bill fully. The Standing order coupled with a online Giftaid form completed by the taxpayer in the family give us our ROCK. Thank you to those who have set up a Standing Order please complete a Giftaid online form if you are a tax payer, if you can this enhances your contribution. You only need to do one about every 4 years or another if you change your address etc. It is all explained on the Giftaid form.

So remember S.O.S. Standing Order Shout Help! us out....

Have fun raising funds! eg run a cake sale at work? Click here for updates
xxlynne

Post by xxlynne »

A graceful week which seems to have given and given but alas just the 1 homing and on prepared for the early week. Bless the homing team they work so hard for our dogs but it so difficult at the moment but then all Rescues are saying hardly any movement. All those Covid pups are breaking away from their homes and many are capturing young dogs via private homings I feel.

With the loss of Max and placing my mother with my sister in law I have been given time. I had reached a point where I seemed to be spinning around and achieving less and less. This week has been a big sort out. I love getting straight and am naturally organised and my brain really doesn't like operating without organised systems. So although my place looks no different the surplus stuff is stuff moving on but the cupboards have order!

We have paid our debt and major bills somehow! Thank you! and now will just face the next few months as we drop low again and pull ourselves through. Having spent weeks and weeks on Rescue accounts and Giftaid, need to flow forwards with the kennel accounts now. This week I have had to sort staff payroll, annual leave, and pensions and have purchased needed items. Washing harnesses and collars in the hundreds, and working with 2 very frightened incoming dogs Cocoa and Rolo. Started spending a 1 1/2 hours a night on the grounds gardening. Have lost some plants as I didn't get going soon enough but life somehow intervened. I am exploring natural gardening. Purchased lots of wild flower seeds last year and now see them coming up. Need to tutor so people don't mow down or pull up.
IMG_7175.JPG
IMG_7176.JPG
IMG_7177.JPG
IMG_7178.JPG
Also have a flower bed opposite the cattery which I hope people don't tread over as have some seedlings growing.

I love the buzz of the day with so many dogs out and about with so many walkers. Sunday night is always special as I go about the site and see the boards
IMG_7182.JPG
IMG_7183.JPG
The bird song including an owl, foxes, deer and squirrels claim back the grounds after 7 and it has a buzz of nature which I love as I walk a few of the dogs about and garden
IMG_7184.JPG
IMG_7185.JPG
The large paddock is nearly finished and the dogs have claimed it and my evenings also are filled and thrilled with dog play
IMG_7179.JPG
5 or 6 days more to get myself straight then am collecting mum and setting up an new care-plan hoping she can spend some more time in her home but she is becoming very disabled now so she may have to move into my house which will be difficult for her but we'll set up best we can to make her at home.
xxlynne

Post by xxlynne »

Well summer is here...?Is it...don't hold your breath.

Many of our new walkers are feeling their boots and its great to see their contribution coming to fruition. Thanks to admin of NickyH, Charlie, Sarahk and the senior walkers who have introduced the new faces to our dogs over the past few months.

Homings are slow, a period we certainly haven't lived through for many a year, where new homing questionnaires arrive once vetted, they are allocated within 24 hours. We are averaging 1 most 2 homings a week and we are really trying, but how do you explain that our dogs need experience behind them, to enable them to settle. We have great dogs in, it is a joy to see them using the facilities and building trust and confidence over time.

I have had nearly 3 weeks based at the kennels so have taken the opportunity to thoroughly sort and clear. Never enough time but as a team we have moved forwards on projects. I am trying to set up another section on the Forum for volunteers other than walking. I have tried in the past but most people want direct dog related contact volunteering who can blame them! There are so many valuable jobs needing to support our work; decorating and up grading dog areas, carpentry, tiling, gardening, land maintenance and clearance, and paths improved. The old kitchen needs to be broken up this weekend and floor tiled in near future and walls treated for damp. We need the kennels painted inside and out. I am doing a great deal of an evening but many tasks I don't have the skills or time for. Offer us a day and you will make a big impact. Our staff are gifting over their hours to help meet need as they put so much into our dog's day and support like taking frail dogs home or coming in in their own time to mower the land etc. bighug.gif

We have begun to decorate the hall which is a thoroughfare for our dogs. Tigga's room needs tiling. We have loads of branches to be cleared. Rubbish and glass in the land needs removed. Ivy from trees to gift them freedom. Nettles removed from the river banks. Rubble moved to building site up the land. Tree saplings planted and 2 young trees moved. So we are teeming with ideas join our Team and come Teaming! So many ideas am very happy. I will lead on priorities and we are open in the evening now so 8 until 8, is a reality if you want fresh air.

Thank you for everything you are offering our dogs. We have increasing Standing orders coming in and some old friends have given up one off generous donations which of course we have put to immediate effect. Our motto in the Rescue has always been consider it spent! It is wonderful to witness our Rescue having seen the Rescue emerge over the years through different phases. I can't believe that I would ever be in the position of owning such wonderful lands in service to the most needy dogs who wouldn't survive without us, being enabled to step forwards for them in their hour of desperate need. Please can you set up a Standing order if you haven't already done so and join us being the rock for our dogs.

We have lost 3 members of staff over the last 3 months. We have hired 4 part time staff who are bedding down wonderfully with Anna and Paige really carrying the show with admirable dedication. We have adjusted roles and are trying to give the best we can into our Rescue work. bravo1.gif

People always want Joycee news! Joycee my mother has moved back into her home today with a new care package with new providers. Hoping she will manage a little longer in her own surroundings but if it breaks down I will accommodate her here some how hence beginning to focus a little on house projects as this has been neglected in lieu of meeting our kennel and ground needs. Ofcourse we accommodate many dogs in the house and have upgraded many rooms. I have also started reading literature again after many years, which as I don't sleep at all well, is great as I didn't seem to have the concentration for a longwhile and so loving delving in such great books again. Happy days

Return to “Rescue Remedies Diary”