Rescue Remedies Diary August 2020 - December 2020

A behind the scenes look at our work
xxlynne

Re: Rescue Remedies Diary August 2020 - December 2020

Post by xxlynne »

14th December 2020 and time is spinning by!

Thank you for all your good wishes sent recently via email and in word. It is very heartening and has helped greatly to engender self belief up against adversity. Christmas is also the time when so many families get in touch and it swells the heart to hear of news of our beautiful dogs many have been homed for so many years and such cherished dogs...this is what makes all our efforts everlasting.

We all lead busy lives and the virus has cracked open so many lives and given us all a sense of our own morality. This plays on our minds as none of us can guarantee we will still be alive this time next year. How precious does each day seem.

I have many dependents running a charity for homeless dogs. We were laughing the other day as some people recently have been inferring I'm like Cruela Deville only I can't find one dalmation! I'm not after their skins but we are saving their skins! My life isn't black and white more multi-shades of brindle! I have to be of strong character as I'm facing stark choices, taking risks and am stoically focused on the mission for our dogs sake. I feel for people who are bullied via social media and who don't have a strong friendship circle as there are some very harsh intellects out there who troll and build themselves up by tearing others down. We are all finding we have come together in strength and there is a great atmosphere returning as we have enjoyed for years and our dogs are the main benefactors.

Many of you know I acquired another dependent 2 years ago...my mother. She called me early January 19 and asked me to come. She lives in Rye and so when I got there I found her ashen grey and semi collapsed in her bathroom. I called the doctor out and got her meds, my aunt came over and spent 2 weeks with her to keep her out of hospital. My sister was terminally ill at the time and she and brother in law were in France and unable to visit as they had. My brother was in Florida. I needed to spend time and she became my dependent. I lost the top of one of my fingers at this time as I was obviously under a great deal of stress and made a mistake. We soon picked up a profound underlying problem in my mother health. She has always been blind in one eye and had that year focused on the very risky issue of cataract removal from her healthy eye. 2 consultants refused but one had agreed and we had it done in February.
Joyce March 19 in her cottage
Joyce March 19 in her cottage
However my mother had trouble swallowing and it became a real issue and we went through the hospital system to conclude she has a pouch in her throat that was capturing her food and restricting food getting into her stomach. We lost my sister in May 19. Long story short working with various health professionals I took my mother into A&E in September she was now 5.6 stone. They admitted her but she was too poorly for her throat op. and then got double pneumonia and we nearly lost her. I had been visiting once a week and by the May 19 2x a week... when in hospital in Eastbourne I visited every day.
Joyce Nov 19 Hospital Canteen
Joyce Nov 19 Hospital Canteen
She had the op. a year ago and we were then able to discharge her but the care package is supported and managed by myself so 2 days a week I fly down to Rye and lead on her care. On 14th October she was 90.
Joyce 90th Scotney Castle
Joyce 90th Scotney Castle
The pressures for my time have been phenomenal as obviously I am running the kennel business with a major refurbishment under way. We had a legal case with the builders at the time. Running the Rescue which was divided over 3 sites in Jan 19. Broxbourne kennels closed May 19 and we had to integrate our dogs and a big intake of the remaining dogs left at these kennels. You know about the floods in February 20 just as we were taking in all our dogs from Guildford as those kennel closed. I was watching Covid in January and mentally preparing should it emerge in England which it began to appear in February 20. We had to shape our business and charity around Lockdown and we moved into a heat wave and long hot summer. August was when we began to take in new walkers again. We had a small claims court case running over the summer which we won in October 20. Many other issues including those described above in last diary entry were key factors including me personally eg taking over the homing questionnaires to completely reshape the service we were able to provide and call in help.

December 20 and 2 weeks left of this year with Covid levels still rising and winter upon us. So many other challenges we have been through with bereavements and personal dogs illnesses a real feature within the staff team. So many major issues affecting some many people close to us For example John Fowle has lost so many dogs over these 2 years as well a major health issues to overcome. Ros lost Bertha suddenly whilst supporting her elderly father as he lost his partner also. Alison has been through hell having one knee replacement and its complications and now had the other replaced. Eddie lost 2 close friends and his brother suddenly, as well as having 2 friends nearly die of Covid. I could go on and I'm sure you could too...

Life is short; Life is intense and somehow we keep our ship steady to receive those dogs who need us despite the storms.
xxlynne

Re: Rescue Remedies Diary August - October 2020

Post by xxlynne »

Merry Christmas everyone. Christmas day always has to be a special day where one goes 'over the top' with purchases; food; drink; and not this Christmas, company.
Ted & Cola with Katie their fosterer
Ted & Cola with Katie their fosterer
At the kennels its always wonderful to see the volunteers who make it on Christmas day before their lunch, and those who arrive to walk off their lunch! The tradition at our kennels is the kennel staff have the day off and usually Claire and I spend the day in the kennels. Today Chris joined us, and Eddie and Lisa spent the first 4 hours with us which got us straight and ahead of the curve. Wonderful atmosphere and of course the dogs always have special times. Today they had roast pork; pumpkin; boiled eggs and olive oil. At lunchtime they had special banana and peanut butter biscuits baked by James and Kate.

This is the time of year when we thank each other but especially our Fosterers, our Homing Team and our Administrators.

Last week we homed Ted (Red) and Cola. This week we have homed Toby our Spanish boy who jumped homes and have jumped straight into our Friends who homed and sadly lost Maynard. Then little Boris is now living in the village. THEN Hooch who has matured with us and yes finally his family arrived.
Hooch with Billy and Lily
Hooch with Billy and Lily
Then monumentally Brock was reunited with his original owner after 26 long months having been stolen. Nothing could be worse to have your dog stolen. Katie his owner and her husband were game keepers and Brock grew up with a working Lab and had recently welcomed a puppy who was learning from him. At 7 years old he was left in the car to rest after 8 hours work in a deserted location for 30 mins and on return Katie found her car had been broken into and he was missing. 'They' obviously had been watching her movements. He surfaced via a police raid 2 years later but the chip must have been taken out. I spent an evening on Doglost as I have done many times, just checking our dogs don't have a family out there. I came across a very possible match, but it stated he was chipped when stolen. I however followed my hunch just in case and it turns out the original chip had at some point been removed. Katie jumped into her car and travelled 5 hours and the meeting was wonderful and has already been watched by 2 million viewers on Facebook.

Click here to learn how to add YouTube Videos to your phpBB forum
Brock with Katie
Brock with Katie
Then 2 days later we were waving goodbye to Lily who has spent her life in Rescue from a 5 month puppy. Today Buster our friend now in foster has gone reserved.
Lily with Alan and Linda
Lily with Alan and Linda
There seems a special energy within our work with everyone working together and enjoying offer our dogs what they need. As I say this time of year we truly thank our Fosterers, our Homing Team and our Administrators ...and our Walkers and Supporters and the many families who opened their heart to offer their home to our dog(s).

Huge Thank you we have such magic in our Rescue, our dogs thrive on your love

NB A year ago yesterday my mother made it out of hospital after 19 weeks. Yesterday she fell. I was there and took the force and so laid her to the ground. She is emotionally very frail and becomes the little girl. Result ambulance called out by the carer at 9pm and they were torn whether to admit, with Covid etc. rife in Rother District. I convinced them not to, but then they called to say they needed to just run some tests to ensure her heart was OK. So she went to A&E, and then was admitted to Acute Assessment..8 calls today trying to affect and inform the decision making. Tonight finally Doctor had decided she needed therapy so admission. I had a frank conversation and explained I am a Head Occupational Therapist and what her needs were, and I was not having her placed at risk of Covid. The nurse turn around and said "Great can you come and get her. Sorry we weren't aware of your profession". So tomorrow morning I am getting her out and will resurrect the care package
xxlynne

Re: Rescue Remedies Diary August 2020 - October 2020

Post by xxlynne »

We reach the end of 2020. 20:20 was always the symbol for clear vision...but it will now always be remembered for the year the beast of Covid bit!

Please spend 20 mins listening to this

LBC Shelagh Fogarty what New Years Eve is really all about this year... 2 hour and 20 mins mark" Dr Jack " The next 10 days are going to be catastrophic ...

For our Rescue this has been all about us dealing with the virus and remaining on track. Our endeavours have been intense and the energy in the Rescue is better now than it has ever been as we devote our time to finding our dogs and then finding them their homes.

Thinking of all our dogs who have made it into their homes this year.
Thinking of all our dogs who left us and their families this year...all knowing they were truly loved and mattered deeply.
Thinking of all those who support us month on month through standing orders and one off or regular donations
Thinking of those who have been involved and walk shoulder to shoulder with us and respect and love everything everyone offers and gives to our dogs and each other
Thinking to all the Forum fanatics who follow our dogs and are truly our Wellwishers.
Thinking of those who work in the background and make it all happen with never any desire to have their involvement counted, measured or acknowledged. A Gift is a Gift and its true from the heart
Thinking of all those who are new to our Rescue Work and are finding their way with us in our Team and with our dogs. So many this year thank you
Thinking of all our families who carry one or more of our dogs within their families... Thank you
Thank you, Thank YOU!

Happy New Cheer to all our precious 63 dogs resident with us tonight which is the lowest number all year and on record for over a decade.

2020 was the year our Rescue came together...and we walk together in closeness into the new year!

Return to “Rescue Remedies Diary”