Rescue Remedies Diary May 2020 - July 2020...

A behind the scenes look at our work
xxlynne

Rescue Remedies Diary May 2020 - July 2020...

Post by xxlynne »

Zara out and about
Zara out and about
Surrender and Returning: Thought it was timely to remind people what our approach is in receiving dogs into our care whether they come directly from homes; via the pounds, police or vets; or indeed returning from our own families. Maybe it’s because of working in Health & Social care all my life we are trained to take a non judgemental approach. Maybe it’s because of witnessing the heartache with families who need to surrender their dogs to us. As volunteers come of age they learn to leave behind the rhetoric of assumption. Surrendering families often go through massive changes of circumstances, or simply find the family can no longer offer their dog what it integrally needs. Most people walk into dog ownership blindly tempted with a cute pup, or a dog that has come loose from a family advertised locally or family death or relationship breakdown. We can never say we wouldn’t be in that situation of giving up a dog. We offer counselling where families can bring things into perspective, and perhaps as often happened when Dianna talks to terrier families, they appreciate they have a typical terrier and they are actually doing very well! We run our Rescue with the motto of no blame no shame
Buds waiting.......
Buds waiting.......
We are a well-seasoned Rescue that has been active for 16/ 17 years. One story : Stepped forwards to help a Patterdale…Millicent the Militant or was it Innocent! Her owner had taken her on from her sister as she was escaping out of the front door and was ’wired’ in her working brain. She then found she couldn’t cope either. We found her a brilliant home with a massive 10’ high walled garden. Yes she was still a challenge but her owners adored her mischief. Millicent’s 2nd owner went on the foster for us and in fact was a main stay in the Rescue for 4 years helping hundreds of dogs. Whenever people pass aspersions, or infer surrendering families as different to us, "Angels are white and Devils are black"... a little education helps people to get off their high horses. I developed a saying early into Rescue work watching social media and the Forum. “It takes no time to step up on to your high horse, but it takes many years learning to climb down and longer not get on in the first place.
This whole issue reminds me of the subtle rejection our society makes with people with mental health issues. If only we can try and stand beside people and wear their shoes for a day, we would be more balanced. People deserve us to attempt to understand them and empathise and support when times are hard. This all surfaced this week when a family trusted us to take in their elderly dog, even though it was harder for them in many ways to accept he may spend a little time in kennels. Easier for them to discretely call it a day with their dear loved family member, and offer him a very slightly earlier end of life. No one would have questioned them putting a 14 year old dog to sleep who clearly wasn’t managing in his family home. Charlie put it beautifully "it wouldn’t have been fair on him to spend the rest of his life behind a dog gate". He was worthy of so much more. We had to moderate many comments made on his thread, knowing his family were watching his thread with eagerness and our volunteers were innocently ‘tut tutting’ the plight he found himself in, and laying it on thick. We can still love from the heart but take up with our dogs in their hour of need ... Simples
Melissa in foster
Melissa in foster
Let me tell you the truth, an elderly dog or a disabled dog rarely spend a long time with us. Rather like the beggars on the street, if you have a hand missing or a dog beside you the public rush forwards to help. So we can do better as a matured society in accepting families fallibility, and helping them. The temptation is always slap human emotions on dogs and so many times these assumptions are wide of the mark. So let us care and our hearts go to all our dogs and know we are helping them while they wait for their special family.
Basil loving life despite the years...
Basil loving life despite the years...
April Stats: 35 Homed 7 Terriers; 14 Allbreeds; 6 Ambulls (Americian Bulldogs) and 8 Staffies.

April's Intake: 23 Intake 2 Terrier; 11 Allbreeds; 4 Ambulls and 6 Staffies (including 4 were welcomed back as long lost friends)

STAY SAFE!!!!!!!!!!!

xxlynne

Re: Rescue Remedies Diary May 2020 - July 2020...

Post by xxlynne »

Lovely quiet sunny Sunday with many friends visiting our doggies and taking them out and about.

The evil drama of Covid 19 is the backdrop to the quietness like a poisoned ocean lapping on our beach. We are presuming most of the new infections are spread within Institutions Care homes, Acute and Mental health hospitals, Prisons, Factories and what Schools are operational. Here are 3 thought provoking items which may help us to reflect during our current period of lockdown

New York State has a very similar presentation of Covid 19 to UK in terms of timing; numbers and 1st peak. I enjoyed the honesty and humility the lead politicians gave to the press questions. I call this video...how to avoid an Opps!

Click here to learn how to add YouTube Videos to your phpBB forum

This article Charlie passed on to us which explains about virus transmission and social distancing. Its again from America but very informative
The Risks and how to avoid them

And then Stuart shared a lovely video to reflect perhaps how this finds us in a reflective period as we are given time think before we fall into joining the 'rat race' again.

Click here to learn how to add YouTube Videos to your phpBB forum

This week we have been blown away with Frankie's homing
Frankie
Frankie
and Hardy's homing
Hardy
Hardy
There have been many a tear flowing this week as these dear friends are passed through into trusted families. We never know which apples drop from our tree but the joy is so great as 2 lost souls, making it to 'a life fantastic'!

4 dogs in and 4 dogs out. our Kittie cats Myla and Kitty also found their forever home

Thank you to everyone for keenly following our dogs and financially supporting us through standing orders and periodic donations in difficult times. Your support allows us to hold our heads up and offer on dogs who others wont help and deserve to live. We walk beside them offering them hope, love and trust. Without people's investment financially, our dogs wouldn't be able to go thorough the magic door and into new lives. Really we are about Happy Families and a treasured rescue dog is the heart of a family.

3 special photos Blasts from the past
Tia:
Tia
Tia
Arthur:
ArthurFrance.jpg
Tansy:
Tansy
Tansy

xxlynne

Post by xxlynne »

Found the photo of Batley who was found staying in Batley West Yorkshire whom we homed to a guest house in Wales.

Batley was the Staffie we modelled our Logo on
Alfiebatleigh (4).jpg
Staffie Rescue Logo.jpg
This was the photo we modelled our American Bulldog Logo on
American_Bulldog.jpg
AmbullLogo.jpg

xxlynne

Post by xxlynne »

Today was one of those perfect days with the beautiful weather, great volunteers, and building on the busi-ness of the week…

Statistics:
We are seeing our own exponential curve and are under siege with applications.
2019 we had approx. 4200 total
2020 Jan 483 : Feb 337 : March 563 : April 969 and May up to 17th 840
Homed
Oliver
Oliver
Delta
Delta
Chynna
Chynna
Persia & Rockford
Persia & Rockford
Tiny
Tiny
Ronnie
Ronnie
Ralphie
Ralphie
Buster
Buster
Saved this week
Murphy SR 11 Tiny RR 11 Ralphie RR 12 Persia SR 13 Rockford SR 13 Julia RR 13 Jason RR 17 Caesar SR & Hardy TR returned

So some lovely outcomes indeed.

Dogs Weekly Our Dogs

xxlynne

Post by xxlynne »

We are firing on with business as usual, during very unusual times. Our stats a little under last years but because we now have a smaller base i.e. 55 kennels rather then 84 this time last year. Therefore we have less play as we have a higher percentage of longer stay dogs. Our Rescue has always been a refuge for those dogs who have had impoverished background, tragic circumstances or just simply their needs not understood nor properly met. This is the conflict in homings as our dogs so often need therapeutic homes and we often can't home to the easier families who apply. It is soooo thrilling for us all when we see a dog who has travelled with us a long way emerge into a dog with courage, substance and assured humility. They achieve collateral in their bank, reserves they can draw upon to enable them to settle within a new family and embrace change. Marv is one of those dogs who was saved by his vet instead of putting him to sleep he came to us and today he is homed.
Lizzie
Lizzie
Just knowing so many volunteers who know our dogs are waiting to return. This week we have had 2 shocks within the kennel staff team... one staff members step-father was seriously ill and so the family went into isolation and had the Covid 19 test and 48 hours later deemed negative. Meanwhile another member of staff had problems with his sense of taste and it developed into a tingling tongue. He went through and had a Covid 19 test and deemed negative. Phew. Our site is busy at times and individuals could come early morning 8 am or early evening 5.30 onwards with strict contact with the dogs only providing they don't have any symptoms and we can see how we goes. The main thing everyone is washing their hands, have their own leads, don't allow the dogs to bring the humans close and 2 meters is the standard distance. Our friends John and Terry from California called during the week and one of the questions asked... oh and Lynne are you wearing masks... I said no we are wearing muzzles. There was a hesitation in John's voice before we burst out laughing.

Today was a special day so I thought I'd give you a little glimpse of a typical Sunday and the special events thrown in.

I wake at 6.45 by the alarm but am often listening to the radio before then, waiting for the alarm to go. I get up and immediately let Royce out and he runs into the paddock. I then put the computer, kettle, and radio on. Porridge in the microwave and prep Royce's breakfast. Royce runs back in for breakfast and little Lissie runs out for the paddock time. I then have my wash, put the washing machine on, put the washing up away, prep Lissie's breakfast and she runs in for that. Then Mandy who is in the lounge over night goes out into the paddock and I take my breakfast and coffee into my bedroom and get dressed whilst eating breakfast, going back to let Mandy in and let Gucci out for her paddock time. I check my emails and then Gucci into her room. Next let my 3 out carrying little Max my 14 year old Lakeland until he finds his legs as he is quite arthriticy first thing. I make the bed and put Max's bed away and dry washing from the line then bring Mandy into her day room, my bedroom. My 3 go into the lounge for the day, the Lily and Mika go out into the paddock and I'm cleaning the paddock and Lily and Mika's room after opening up the front gate. Another member of staff usually arrives and puts a dog out into the large paddock and preps coffee for all. I let some the kennel block dogs into their runs. All Staff have their morning meeting and coffee and share news and prep plans for the day in a wide circle standing in the car park. I fed the rest of the dogs in the house. I prepared vac card and adoption forms for Julia ready for her 10.30 meet. I then prepared Marv's Vax card and adoption papers ready for Ros to collect. Terry came at 8 am today to walk. Nic and Jan always arrive early on a Sunday around 8.30. I prepped the account details for Helen to collect and I started cleaning the house. Phone was going as usual with general enquiries.

9.28: Steph member of staff called, please could I come and help, Lola has got her harness twisted around her back leg. Oh dear. Lola has been with us nearly 3 weeks and she has been so scared she was running at us with teeth, whenever we came to her kennel. We were making progress and she was softening as she was fed by hand through her door, so slowly she was coming round. Luckily we had reached a point. If she was in pain and a bad mood I said I'd have to go in with a cushion that she could bite whilst I get a towel over her head so I can try and get a muzzle on and sort her harness. However, judging her to be in a soft mood I took her muzzle off her door and slowly opened the door with the muzzle directed to go over her nose and wow...she took it and I was able to go in stroking her head and do the muzzle up. We were all elated. I corrected her harness giving her lots of cuddles and put leads on which Anna passed me and we took her out for a walk and she was so happy and relieved to walk with us, away from her concern, her living nightmare. I made the decision we would give her a wonderful time and have as many people befriend her and walk her, and so that is what happened. About 10 different people walked her, some volunteer and staff we called, came from home for Lola and she had a wonderful time for the next 4 hours. We decided to change her kennel and gave her one so she could see everything that was going on and keep her meeting and greeting. I had asked James a new member of staff and an experienced volunteer dog walker if he would like to do Julia's homing with me as his first homing. 10.15 and Julia's family arrived so James and I started her homing, after an hour I was able to leave James to do the latter part, as Frankie Nike's mum, had arrived with a large food donation. It was lovely to see her and we all unloaded her car.

Notified Franklin had gone lost and to call his owner if the microchip company contact me.
Franklin lost
Franklin lost
Then our new dogs arrived. Ronnie who runs other kennels, works alongside Vicky who we help with Rescuing many of her dogs. I had asked Vicky if there was anyway she would come and vaccinate our Feral dogs Owen, Wilson and Peaches. She said Ronnie will vaccinate them when he bought the dogs over so here he was! I have a cunning idea.... unexpectedly we now had Lola in the position to receive her first vaccination so I asked Ronnie if he could vaccinated Lola. This he did then he went in with each of our feral friends and gradually won them over. I mentioned Peaches who was to receive the 3rd and Ronnie brightly said, "I can give Peaches a vaccination" as Vicky put an extra one in! So suddenly such relief all our dogs are vaccinated but further Ronnie volunteered to come in 2 weeks time and take Owen, Wilson, and Lola into Vicky's vet for neuter and 2nd vax. The Staff had got the new dogs out of Ronnie's van, put collars, disc and harnesses on them and gave them walks to settle them into their kennels.
Peaches
Peaches
Agreed to save 2 dogs being put to sleep in Sheffield pound said we can take Wednesday onwards
Keepsake.jpg
Baldrick.jpg
So 1pm and we are waving Julia off to her new home and we sit down in the hot sun in a large ring spaced out for coffee and lunch. I show the new pathway Geoff has begun to work on clearing to Charlie and she has the same gasp of breath witnessing a huge Ash tree probably 300 years old that has been hidden and will soon be part of a lovely walkway though our property. Franklin found and owner let me know.

I let my dogs out and sorted certain things out like putting a load of washing on in the kennels and putting some up to dry, talking to Luisa and delighted to hear Spike is being met on Wednesday. Discussed with Dianna various homings and her request to save a 9 month old Patterdale in Scotland and we began to plan how we would get transport for him to bring him into safety. More emails and recording new info on new dogs on my data base. I put the new arrivals up on the Forum and announce Julia and Marv's homings. Various dogs arriving back on site after days out. 5.30 Chelsey out in a paddock and Hooch also as I do 45 mins digging in the back garden which we are transforming from a sterile stone area into a wild flower meadow. 6 pm and the kennels are quiet so Owen and Wilson come out of their kennels and explore the back paddock in peace.
Sterile back garden watch this space
Sterile back garden watch this space
Then throughout the evening different dogs are out in the paddocks one of them, Lady our new Lurcher so I can take a few photos and give her relief and Peace though she did have Royce next to her furiously trying to play with her... she was a cool cucumber and just stood close to the fence and watched him. Becca calls to say she cant bring Ferdy back as he is a gem so will bring him back tomorrow. Dianna calls to say she has arranged the Patterdale to go to our contact Mary in Lancashire, and delighted Bear has been adopted. Lovely finish to a week.
Bear HOMED
Bear HOMED
Since 7pm I have been plodding away at the diary its 22.39 time to add some pictures and proof read and submit

xxlynne

Post by xxlynne »

Tough week: we feel under siege as we hold out for suitable homes for our dogs.

We had been discussing sending out an automatic response email, giving the varied reasons why we may not be able to process each Homing Questionnaire at this time. We have been working on making changes in the way we relate to the public, as a lot of our applicants do not have the circumstance for the dogs we have. We are being distracted from targeting the best homes for our dogs, because of a sense of duty to offer a response to all applicants.

Frankly we are ALL volunteers and there is a point at which the public demand from us, a level of service, we could never afford, and by that I mean as a few of us who give every waking moment to the welfare of our dogs in pursuit of stable homes are at breaking point.

What is disturbing is a complainant who has been 'investigating us' and twisted the details of our diary, forum walkers notes and played the silly game of "ignorance" statistics: Blatantly calling us dog hoarders. I laugh because we are one of the only Rescues that have remained open and homing our dogs over the last 2 months. The aggrieved person hasn't even put a Homing Questionnaire in as far as we can make out. They haven't even given accurate details and by not naming dogs etc the general public will be as confused as us! I have always thought it is VERY BAD KARMA to criticise, especially publicly, something you don't understand e.g. other's Faiths or predicaments. This complaint has prompted a temptation to simply not respond to applicants at all i.e. giving them no reason for us not being able to process their request; LIKE SO MANY RESCUES DO. A person showing their ignorance of the dog rescue scene, has the gall to denigrate us, but wasn't it ever thus. Perhaps they can investigate other rescues and count their dogs in and count their dogs out, including the bag bags leaving through the back door. Or other Rescues who have such a high criteria for entry, the majority of dogs would never be given a chance of a Rescue place. Seems to me the more transparent you are, you invite trolls and a flurry of complaints.

We stand proud and in fact we are the preferred Rescue of Dog Wardens; Pound pullers: The Police and Vets. Our reputation is nationwide as an exemplary Rescue. These standards we hold to, we forge forwards with and these standards are rarely met by other Rescues..but all Rescues will do their best and have their own ethics.

Our Golden Seal as a Rescue
Rescue-Remedies-Logo.jpg
Rescue Remedies Staffierescue Ambulldogrescue Terrierrescue Patterdaleterrierrescue

Never exploited by breeding: All Rescue Remedies dogs are neutered with the exception of puppies which are homed responsibility with the commitment to neuter at their right stage of maturation. No Rescue Remedies dog will be used for breeding.
Up-to-date: Information shared on our dogs is honest; up dated daily on our Forum and where possible our websites. Our adoption process is thorough and involves safe guards for our dogs and their potential families ensuring good matching of needs, skills and lifestyle.
Support for entire life: Rescue Remedies stand by their dogs for their entire lives and offer free advice. Our dogs must come back to us if their homing breaks down, receiving them back within given 2 weeks notice. All Rescue Remedies dog are homed with a Rescue Remedies tag on and the Rescue’s details on their microchips, should their owners not be contactable
Maximising Donations: Donations go directly to payment of vet. & kennel bills and essentials e.g. microchips purchase. All our dogs where ever possible receive a 7 day course of Panacur to eradicate lungworm in case present.
Community of givers: All volunteers give of their time and pay their own expenses and other supportive measures directly for the dogs. No one receives salaries or expenses. Only expense paid is for the dog mobile’s diesel for essential Rescue Remedies transportation and occasional bills like essential large postage. Our volunteers financially support us.
Responsible Management: We are guardians for our dogs and work to ensure we identify, match and meet each dog needs carefully. We generally counsel for ‘on lead’ management within the prejudicial, intolerant climate against bull breeds and terrier traits, and offer other dogs their right to personal space also.
Peace only where absolutely necessary: We rarely need to offer Peace and then only when advised by our vets to ensure safety, avoid prolonged suffering: We ensure each dog’s dignity is maintained: We then offer with great love and apology for their humans who during their lives failed to understand or meet their welfare needs.

So yes here is a rough draft of the response we may be sending to applicants to enable us to devote our time with the Homing Questionnaires that show promise and get ourselves out of the wood.

Please read this:
You are offering a good home for a dog in need, however we have been unable to match a suitable dog at this time for one of the reasons stated below:

Thank you for applying for a homeless dog with Rescueremedies. As dog rescuers, we explore applications focusing on people’s expectations and tolerances; risks and control measures, and whether at this moment of time we have a suitable match. We are looking for families who can meet our dog’s needs.

Our Rescue dogs have lost their homes at least once and been close to death:
• Many found stray/ abandoned
• Some come through the police as surrendered prisoner property
• Some come via RSPCA neglect or cruelty
• Some saved by vets when they were taken to be put to sleep
• Owners death; ill issues; relationship breakdown
• Landlords refusing to accommodate dogs
• Via drug addicts; homeless people; alcoholics
• Some have bitten, or fought with other live in dogs or an outside altercation.
• Some via people who naively homed via free-ad and made bad decisions
• Some have been crated/ caged since puppies; never socialised; dealt with dysfunctioning families.
• Many dogs have lost more than one home and have ended up confused.
• Chronic health issues not addressed and then abandoned.

Our Rescue offers dogs on “deathrow” safety. Our dogs didn’t live up to the demands placed upon them, in their last home. We take the dogs other Rescue step over and would never offer on. Where we get perfect easy dogs we have homes waiting. We are our dog’s last chance and we neuter them and work with our dogs to help them achieve their own stable families. We don’t apologise for helping dogs who often have special requirements. Our dogs have low self-confidence / esteem, and frequently have deficits in their dog skills.

Unable to match:
We know our dogs very well and know what we are looking for them. We carry many dogs who are difficult to home who need sensitive, therapeutic, inclusive families. We respect your offer to Rescue but our dogs need to be well matched to meet their needs: Wrongly matched, can put a family off dog ownership or rescue for life. Likewise you have to come forwards for a Rescue dog with the right open mind set. Please trust us we don’t label our dog’s difficulties but have reviewed the offer you have made together with your family and lifestyle complexities mean we cannot currently match. Review your expectations if you are asking for all singing all dancing we are not the Rescue for you. We often see people wanting their old dog back but all characteristic within a 2 year old. Other Rescues help the “easy to home dogs”, we take the ones left behind. Keep an eye on our forum.

Off Lead:
As a Rescue we are looking for families whose instincts are to keep their dog on a lead for life, and therefore remain supported and safe. We make no apologies for this and make it clear on our Websites and Forum and every dog’s thread. This is not a bargaining issue. We only home into families who are committed to exercising our dogs outside of the home on a lead, unless a secure field is hired. 100’s of reasons read our Forum for greater explanation. Basically we have suffered too many fatalities with families who placed risks on our dog’s shoulders. We have suffered enough and no longer place our dogs in with families who seek the enjoyment and risks of wanting bombproof dogs ultimately running off lead. It is worth repeating our Terrierrescue slogan “You can’t train the terrier out of a terrier" (And a terrier lover would not want to)

Distance
We do not home our dogs to far where there are complexities which could easily make break the homing’s stabilty. For example with cats; other pets; first time dog owners; small children; complex child care arrangements. All considerations are made and occasionally we can home at a distance.

Insecure gardens:
Careful consideration on type of dog applied for, after exploration, we have decided your garden is not ready or able to support. E.g. dependency on chicken wire; right of way passage through garden; low / regularly used gates; high visibility through fencing, neighbour dogs behind insecure fencing; railway at end of garden, fox holes; items that can cause harm; insufficient height of fencing.

Other Factors presenting deeming higher risk homes:
Due to the volume of applicants we can no longer give precise individualised reasons: The list here only gives you a flavour but may not contain your specific factor.
Where there are flat with balcony; Dependency on dog walkers using group walks: Doggie day care; Other dogs needing to mix in the home; Young children; Other pets; Multi adult homes where dog exposed to insufficient safeguards. Families presenting with control factors which can create tensions e.g. on “invite only” to furniture; many rooms dog free; restricted living and use of caging (Crating); Outside kennel use; Dog flaps used. Regular dog sitting for others dogs; Downsizing dog without acumen for small breed attributes e.g. based on size not breed e.g. Patterdales are not miniature Labradors. Involvement of social services or estranged partners with shared childcare risking the stability of our dog’s home. Long working hours, especially where requesting ‘working type’ breed e.g. terrier or young dogs.

PLEASE DO NOT CALL OR EMAIL. We have not declined your application without great thought. We are inundated with applications but thought we will still trying to give families an indication of why we sadly are unable to home to them. It would be easier to ignore applicants.

We wish you well and hope you find a Rescue dog from another source.
Best wishes,
Support Team
Rescue Remedies Dog Rescue

We have moved some of our dogs under an umbrella of In Rehab on the Forum as these dogs are not ready for rehoming. (The complainant even criticised us for this. Obviously this person has too much time on their hands! )
Jasper on his first day... Jasper is making great progress
Jasper on his first day... Jasper is making great progress
You can't run a dog rescue without becoming cynical of the lack of commitment the human condition makes for their dogs, to meet their needs. You have to rise above and be positive but be rooted in realism and protect yourself from the elation and despair than can come in the space of 20 minutes with 2 different phone calls.

Return to “Rescue Remedies Diary”