Rescue Remedies Diary Feb 2020 - April 2020

A behind the scenes look at our work
xxlynne

Rescue Remedies Diary Feb 2020 - April 2020

Post by xxlynne »

Well time has sped by and some really major changes have occured over the last few years and because we have reduced our numbers and find ourselves on one campus, thought it was time to restart our diary on a weekly basis.

Broxbourne closure: Last May we lost our Broxbourne base when Adam gave up his kennels and we found ourselves taking in 12 dogs at short notice. We have rehomed them all and Frankie is the only Broxbourne dog who still remains with us.

Guildford closure: Late December and we were told Guildford would close in the middle of February. We had 32 dogs at the time some still on Christmas foster. Well we had until the 16th of February and we emptied Guildford on the 15th. We still have Bentley, Rocco and King to accommodate who are kindly being held in temporary foster.

So as of the 17th February we are now all together in our kennels in Gatwick which is as safe as we can make it. Lots of preparation work was carried out and the upgrade of the kennels continues

and then we had the help from our friends Ciara followed by Dennis
CD9307FD-6AFD-462D-94C5-1A3DAE6A5DE6.jpeg
the morning before the water rose and rose Walking in the rain
the morning before the water rose and rose Walking in the rain
061F84B6-B9DF-4C6D-8598-98392F47D2C0.jpeg
8B7E3616-F852-4176-B5C0-80CC2C5AB6E7.jpeg
Meanwhile there was a lovely gathering with the Guildford fraternity meeting greeting and sharing the caring in Guildford as a farewell and the blessing to "fare well" and hopefully we meet at Gatwick when the storms have passed and the daffodils are flowering ... well that time is upon us though there is still haste to get the last bulbs in so they can do their magic in the new Era of our Rescue

xxlynne

Re: Come together....

Post by xxlynne »

This week I thought I'd introduce some of the history of Rescueremedies as so many may be interested to find out how Rescueremedies was born.
Part 1
Its 2001 9.11.....and I'm working in Hillingdon Hospital as Head Occupational Therapist with 31 staff and my brother calls and tells me to find a television and switch on the news. We gather around as a staff team during the next hour in disbelief watching despicable evil play out on the screen as cyclillic coverage of planes flying into the twin towers.. I had just 2 weeks to play in my work and then I was getting married and beginning to look for a local job near to Richmond where we were living. My rescue Foxterrier had died a year before and we had rescued a Lakeland terrier Brandy; an ex kennel dog. Over the next 6 weeks I begin to look for a new job having just had an amazing send off at Hillingdon with a mad co-incidence of my Mother, Sister and Brother arriving on my last day right at the moment of my send off party and strangely I wasn't to know, actually this would be my retirement from the Health Service!
Brandy2.jpg
I began to enjoy being at home and my husband being a busy GP suggested we could afford to lose my salary as we both have never enjoyed spending. I began doing environmental projects and then the suggestion to Rescue another dog as a companion for Brandy... I enjoyed the hunt on the internet and found Fern Irish Terrier my ex kennel dog at 7pm and was leaving the house at 5 am the next morning to travel to Lincolnshire to meet this mad frantic orange terrier as she came out of her concrete kennel smelling like a farmyard. Wonderful times but tragedy was soon to strike. 8 months on and we were woken by Fern pacing. I took her out thinking she may have diarrhoea but no. 2 hours later Lorenzo took her out to see if he could get her to settle. As she went to walk up stairs she was stumbling and struggling and needed help so we both got up, dressed and sat with her in the lounge watching her discomfort and waiting for 8 am so we could take her straight into the vets. I remember that journey as by the time she reached our vet she couldn't sit up and we carried her in to Mr Andrea's room. He arrived 20 mins later and immediately said it could be a disc problem..Lorenzo said "Ive felt all down her spine I dont think there is disc involvement". Then I know what it is Fibro Cartiligeous Embolism the the Spinal cord (FCES). He went a filled a syringe. "I am giving her a massive steroid injection which will stop the inflammation..as the spinal cord is being pressured by a blockage to the blood supply...then it is a wait and see".
Fern5.jpg
Fern was a big dog to carry she had no use of her back legs; bladder; bowel; and coping with Brandy's inability to understand her lack movement. I had to manually evacuate her bowel which Fern would not allow me to do. In tears I would take her back to the vets for them to try. I left her there for 3 days why they tried to clear her constipation and then on the Sunday 5 days after onset the vets called me...we prepared for the worse. "We have had a break through... we were taking her out with her back legs in the sling and as we got to the back yard she manually expressed her bladder". She has some return of neurological involvement. Mr Andre had said it is fate as we begin to understand what permanent damage she carries and what return she has from the nerve damage. What we went through in the next 3 4 months was monumental. We were lucky because I was there for her all day and it was spring so I could carry her out and have her on a mattress in the sun. I did lots of standing practise to keep her muscles in use. All my therapeutic training and working with stroke patients etc came into play. Within 6 weeks we reached a milestone. Lorenzo came home and I stood her to greet him and her tail moved..a glimmer of a wag. It was 6 months and I was upstairs and I heard this noise ..I looked down the stairs to see Fern dragging herself up the stairs to find me. I knew if I showed myself she would lose her concentration and possibly fall so I stood in my bedroom so worried hearing her slow deliberated ascent then the cuddles as she reached the landing. We had both thought we would lose Fern 48 hours into her illness and then thinking we would have a disabled dog on wheels and she gained and she gained. She was walking with a staggered gait falling and picking herself up with my help so desperate to join Brandy on his walks. THEN Lorenzo turned around and said because we still have Fern and you obviously aren't going back to work would you like to rescue another dog. I don't know why he said it and I don't know why I replied... no... but I would like to help another homeless dog find their family. Its November 2002 and the Rescue is about to come into being.

This week has led me to remember remember as we have had notification of loss of so many friends who we gave our all to ...many years ago..

Saffy
Kyle
Flopsy
Belle
Peppermint
Harvey

And we hear Cassie is very unwell

A tough week lightened by Boycie and Summer 2 of our longstay dogs finding their families. And Hugh, Roxy and Sparky finding their families.

Lets recognise
Boycie came to us with lots a heavy labels and it took months to get him to soften and receive the love...then his true Staffie nature begin to flow..he had been in rescue since a 5 month old dog taken away from his family by the police as he bit one of his children playing.
Boycie45.jpeg
Summer found stray, rejected by 2 Rescues who had offered on her. We took her in then homed her. Without our knowing, her family returned her 15 months later without notification. Bless Summer scared of dogs but slowly slowly learning to tolerate their company when she felt safe
Summer7.JPG
Roxy an ex-racer Greyhound having spent all her life in kennels made it into her family this week
Hugh rejected by his family due to cancer lump and cruciate / joint problems came to us..won every heart and found a lovely family this week where all this didnt matter they were there for him
Sparky who was taken to be put to sleep after biting his owner having dedicate 9 years to them and finding himself confused as they packed up his home into boxes ready to move...a lovely family came forwards to help him regain his self confidence and enjoy life by the seaside

Our Statistics 71 dogs on our books

xxlynne

Re: Rescue Remedies Challenging Times

Post by xxlynne »

So the week just past has been full of shocks. Started on a sad note with Cassie's passing after many years homed with Leslie & Martin; and ends on a sad note with King's EBT x's passing having had 15 wonderful months with Graham.

Rescue Remedies is a massive family with our volunteers dedicated and sincerely endeavouring to support every dog that finds itself ousted from it's home environment. Kennels are a challenging environment for our dogs and people visiting. Our dogs soon realise smiley faces are there to help them and give them special times. Many of our volunteers arrive on a busy morning and walk their allocated dogs perhaps with a request to introduce themselves to a dog they don't know. The staff are busy processing their chores. In the afternoons the kennels look better and the Staff are giving many dogs afternoon relief.

Our audience. We have about 120 volunteers arrive on site during the course of the week. It must a bewildering to come to terms with kennels so we do a taster day and those who can't hack it will go away with a better understanding of how we operate and will have met a few of our beauties. Others commit.

This week one of 'us' made an involved complaint to our inspector which prompted a spontaneous visit. Once here our inspector was appraised of the facts and the crisis we have been living through with 3 storms and flooding. She was able to put some of the dramatic criticisms in to context. She also learnt how we have had to receive all the equipment from Guildford kennels closure and of course all our dogs at the same time as the flooding. Not an easy time for any of us with the mud; the flooded areas persisting and reemerging with every downpour, and more boxes etc arriving with nowhere to place it.

So our conclusion is human nature...we all have a choice as to how we operate in life. Some people live out their lives with a negative overlay. The negative person knows best but knows very little. The negative person places themselves as judge and jury, but never guilty. The negative person justifies their superior intellect by denigrating others; these "experts" are expectors; They expect the perfect and others somehow just don't live up to their ideals. They don't actually know what perfection is because they are malcontents. Presented with a scenario they would always be able to analysis and tell you how it should be better. It is very easy to see and blame, with a lack of empathy or true grasp in giving others faith and basic respect.

In our Rescue our bedrock volunteers are positive people. They equally are able to see but their instincts are to engage, to recognise needs and offer of themselves. They are not detached from the operation; they are here to help. To see is to do; to achieve, to care.

The one with the critical eye damages and looks down. The one with the receptive eye engages with humility and rises to the situation defining their own boundaries as to how much they can offer. There is realism in their assessment of engagement and respect for others engagement also.

This week I reached a landmark and became 65 so yes an OAP though the week was shattered in disbelief in the cruelty and hard heartedness of that person who chose not to talk with us but go behind our backs. This week my clutch went on my car. This week my mother who has become my dependent was depressed trying to live with fractured ribs after a fall. This week we firmed up Henney Staffie's home but no other homings.
Henney and one of her cats
Henney and one of her cats
A really hard week, so many wonderful people hearing our plight expressed their allegiance which was very heartening and helped enormously.

So we are considering giving up the boarding element as this is only 12 kennels but does mean we have to achieve all the boarding regulations which we have been trying to achieve by upgrading the kennels which were so run down when we took them over 3 years ago. The boarding business is hard and and is a struggle. Our inspector is a wonderful person and has supported us but this is the second time one of our volunteers has complained to her and I think she feels we would do better without the scrutiny. So not a good diary this week. We are where we are. The motto of the week "be part of the solution"..,. if you're not part of us then leave...as the negative is a drag on everyone's energy. Leave us to work our magic for our dogs.

xxlynne

Re: Rescue Remedies Diary Feb 2020 - April 2020

Post by xxlynne »

Well a very mixed week with the evenings getting lighter and a sense of spring filtering through the deluge of rain: Flooding fears lurching with every 2 hours of rain. The land is saturated and the mud in dense and sucks your boots off if you aren't sliding through it on your bot!
Troy on weekend break
Troy on weekend break
I have had a week of no van so using the dump van to visit and take my mother ‘out and about’. If you knew my mother you’d would realise this isn’t quite becoming for her but a lovely sheepskin cover for seat and vision attracted into the countryside! I’ve also had a week with no heating in the house so the damp cold has felt brutal…but now a soft warmth pervades my evenings.

The topic of the week has been Corvid-19 I have been watching this from early January and my fears have been manifesting with each day. Today the notice went up at the kennels as we have a duty of care to keep people alert to the hidden risk of contagion.
Coronavirus awareness: Hygiene
We have many people connected with the airport, hospital and public areas eg schools and shops.
Corvid 19 is HIGHLY contagious: Don’t be a carrier

Please wash your hands on arrival and shake dry. (Towels could carry contagion)
We are trying to wash regularly ideally daily
1. All shared surfaces
2. All shared items e.g. leads, pens, kettle
3. All door & kennel handles
4. Toilet and public areas

Chat outside, not in confined areas
Keep your mobile phones, car steering wheels and door handles clean
Wear washable clothes where possible
No hand shaking

I’m hoping that communication is happening in all work and public places, as this is now upon us. Many people just don’t see their part i.e. in ensuring they aren't carriers.
This is not ordinary flu. Corvaid 19 is highly contagious, and spreads well before the host is showing symptoms or simply via clothes, shared surfaces and hands. We are not talking 0.01% of the population affected as ordinary flus, but 3 to 4% of the population and a much higher percentage in those with challenged immune systems and elderly. Do ensure you have a healthy diet to boost your immunity. Don’t wait for the government to direct you, they are following, not leading. They are far too slow in their response with people coming through airports unchecked and 111 phone lines not suggesting to people that have had contact with travellers from affected areas to change their behaviours. Testing is taking 4 to 5 days to come back.

Video of the Week SarahW

Click here to learn how to add YouTube Videos to your phpBB forum

Kennel’s future
We have decided to go for upgrading the front of the kennel block for boarders and drop our boarding numbers to 6, as we need to devote our other kennels to the Rescue. Lots of hard work began in earnest on Monday and we now have a month to complete.

3 homings this week Lara, Poley and Rocco. Phoebe has gone into Trial adoption with 2 cats. Poley homed by Barbara; Rocco by Vee and Chris and Phoebe by Chris and Nicola all volunteers! Buddie came back from a lovely week’s holiday with Corrina. Rodney was returned after a great break too. Leah and Gina have got together to do a foster share for Bentley so happy days. No new dogs in this week... times continue to be hard.
Buddie on holiday
Buddie on holiday
Dogs Weekly Stats 69 dogs

xxlynne

Post by xxlynne »

Another Whizzy week with Corvid 19 like a creepy flood seeping closer to our door. In fact it felt like an impending storm with a stirring wind felt as an awakener.

We decided to make changes to minimise any contamination. Our volunteers need faith in us to trust they are not entering an unsafe area. We also have older volunteers who come and support our dogs. So many of us have elderly parents or vulnerable people in our families or care related work.

So we moved our volunteers out of their corridor room into the open air so they can keep social distance and they are literally outside the bathroom so handwashing is promoted regularly. Anyone coming on site need to consider others of they have a high risk job eg in hospitals or airports. We are cleaning handles, and surfaces plus plus.

Homings are very slow: Most of our homings over this month have been to volunteers or ex-homers, which feels like homing to our family and has a warm fuzzy feeling. We have homed 2 dogs this week but thankfully have Quinton, Red & Cola and Spike go into foster until April. This has enabled us to take Toby Shar pei back and 6 dogs who have been waiting for us for many months. Life is always tough but we live in hope that with people going into home working we will either get dogs into foster or homed.

If anyone can foster and fairly local to Gatwick our dogs need you... as we have 7 urgents waiting waiting for us to take them in
Bruno homed
Bruno homed
Maximus homed
Maximus homed
Dogs Weekly 75 dogs

xxlynne

Post by xxlynne »

COVID 19 I wrote to all the walkers this week making sure we really do the best we can, to minimise the risk of sharing the virus at the kennels, and for us to educate each other .. on tips to achieve social distancing

Rescue Remedies Covid 19 We find ourselves in unprecedented times.

Where we are: We have tried to implement basic measures communicated via our Forum Diary, Email to all walkers and displayed in the kennels. BUT have witnessed walkers not washing their hands on entry and regularly, and having too close proximity conversations. If we continue to be open we are faced with more drastic options to ensure MINIMAL ideally NO risk to all.

Foster offer: Seriously IF you can put yourselves out, to accommodate a dog, this will enable us to take in an “at risk dog”. Homings are slow and we are anticipating that many people will relinquish their dogs due to unmitigated circumstances. Fostering is FAR BETTER for us. We need clear dates ideally weekly blocks so we can plan re-entry and we may not have capacity at short notice. Thankfully we have already had people step forwards.

Walking: The kennels are no longer to be viewed as a social gathering. Social distancing is defined as 2 meters not 1 or 2 feet.’ More people are hearing of +Covid 19 impacting on their work and family members. UK has backtracked on ‘herd immunity’ message on the 12th March, World reaction alerted our gov’t to build herd immunity is to risk at least over 250,000 lives. We all could be the person passing it on even inadvertently and it is contagious via transfer from particles in the air or on items; and directly person to person once symptoms appear. Covid 19 IS VERY CONTAGIOUS and dangerous to anyone with respiratory weakness or of older age.

The only way we can and will accept walkers :-

Novice Walkers: We have halted taster and inductions. New walkers are only to walk if they are happy to be self -sufficient with telephonic guidance. We will resume when safe to do so with refreshers for those who don;t have the experience to progress in a self sufficient manner at this time.

Leads: You bring your own leads and take them home and wash them before return

Hand washing: You are only allowed on site if you wash your hands on entry and wash regularly during your stay and try not to touch your face. Keep your mobile, door handles and steering wheel clean.

Distance: 2 metre distance with any communication. So if you need a conversation phone even if the person is on site! ie. Avoid putting senior co-ordinators at increased risk. It will feel strange but we all need to get used to this if we are to continue.

Kennels open 8am until 7 pm we ask you to PLAN your visit timing wise to try off peak times.

Make your visits dog focused when entering acknowledging others but avoid chatter. Bring your own notes or ensure you can access from your mobile, no shared paper notes.

We cannot have the Friday to Sunday social milieu at the moment: We need to spread walkers across kennel opening hours suggest 2 hour blocks but obviously if you are experienced and self-sufficient you are welcome to stay. So try very early arrival, afternoon or early evening slots. At the moment we are not restricting to 5-6 on site but we may. Please therefore add time of visits to ONLINE WALKER DIARY and you will be contacted if this is not possible.

We may find we are not able to undertake non-essential travel soon so let’s make the most of this opportunity and play it SAFE.

We have some walkers who have stayed away and we respect that; we have to be as safe as we can be. Other walkers are coming at different times to normal to avoid 'grouping' It is wonderful to see everyone and we are all learning together to prompt each other to get our distances right. Particularly difficult for me when I am finishing a homing I usually hug the family in appreciation of them accepting the care of our dog. Now I have to do a little dance and curtsy.

This week so many COVID 19 fosterings and tonight we have so many lovely dogs in loving care:
Alfred RR
Alyson RR 19
Bailey RR
Banjo TR
Basil TR
Bella SR
Belle RR 20
Delta RR
Henry RR
King RR
Marshall RR
Marv RR
Quinton SR
Red & Cola TR
Skye RR
Spike RR
Zippy TR

Here are photos of 4 our dogs in COVID 19 foster placements
Spike with Jessica
Spike with Jessica
Alfred with Sam and Lauren
Alfred with Sam and Lauren
Bailey with Natasha
Bailey with Natasha
Henry with Kate
Henry with Kate
This week we were therefore able to take in some dogs who have been waiting for many months and also to take in 7 dogs from Wales as they are putting many dogs to sleep after their 7 days at the pounds as there is so much insecurity about Rescues taking/ homing dogs.

We homed 7 dogs this week which was brilliant to lift our spirits.

79 dogs in our Care ( pairs counted as 1 )

xxlynne

Post by xxlynne »

We move forwards... on the 23rd March we again wrote to all our walkers
PLEASE READ THE FOLLOWING MESSAGE FROM OUR RESCUE FOUNDER, LYNNE ...

We are moving with the needs of the times and having to review risk and safety measures within the Rescue. We feel to move a little faster, is to be a great deal safer.

The volunteers have been fabulous in following our guidelines and social distancing has occurred except in exceptional situations.

We now have to ask people to make a personal sacrifice this time for other people’s health and safety for the immediate future, and until we resume normal life again.

As of tomorrow the 24th March 2020…Can we now ask volunteers to only visit our Rescue

• If you are observing self isolation with only very essential social contact i.e. careful shopping and medication.
• If you are working from home again with no one of the family mixing in public generally

As already mentioned we would insist you stay away if you or those you live with are generally mixing in the public arena for work or socially. This would especially apply to people having contact with groups of people such as classrooms, shops, clubs or direct or indirect contact with possible carriers.

We are very sorry but we have to ensure as many people as we can survive this public crisis and get out the other side. No one knows what scars our society will carry generally and in particular our Rescue family. We are hoping we all make it through and we can reopen our arms to your caring and gifts of love. We can't predict what will befall society in general or our rescue in particular in these unprecedented times.

We then got the announcement from the Government that evening placing England effectively into semi-lock down...i.e. allowing daily walks; work in essential areas and visits to food shops ideally every 3 days and for Pharmacy visits BUT the message is stay at home and isolate within your household group/ family or caring duties for dependents. (Our homeless dogs need care and definitely are dependents)

Our message to our walkers remains the same as the above. Walking at the kennels can be viewed as your daily walk. We have low population density here so no forced proximity. All of our volunteers can be seen as essential 'workers' as no one receives a salary or expenses so we are all gradations as our lives allow and we play different roles in supporting our dogs.

Today we had 8 walkers on site all experienced and walking out in the sunshine with their chosen dogs with a friendly wave as they avoided close contact. So lovely to witness

We have put the following message on our websites today 25th March 2020:

COVID 19 : Rescueremedies (and Staffierescue and Terrierrescue) follow strict measures to ensure the health & safety of their volunteers, kennel staff and essential contact with fosterers and homers. Our processes are internet and telephone involved. Our homing team and admin. volunteers work from their homes. We use street view, videos, photos and vet checks instead of home checks. Once matched, you are focused on an essential walk to meet and assess the identified dog. Social distancing is enforced.

Our Rescue provides an essential societal service for homeless dogs. This need is acute as COVID 19 rampages our population. We remain active homing and fostering our dogs which enable us to help other dogs in dire need. Only apply if serious, open, not too prescriptive, are safety conscious and willing to travel for the essential homing meet (and also prepared to return our dog if it doesn’t work out). Only complete the homing questionnaire if ready NOW

Please keep safe: Please do no belittle this virus. The fact the youth mostly survive ...the youth are being used as piggyback for COVID 19 to attack the vulnerable. The youth have to wake up and act responsibily !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The virus is lethal; highly contagious and will claim many of our loved ones

We are at the beginning of its deadly work lets all act determinedly to stop it in its tracks

xxlynne

Post by xxlynne »

On Monday we went on Lockdown but with the ability to travel to work if key workers; if caring for others; 1 daily walk locally and for medical and food needs but asked to plan trips to minimise. Social distancing is being learnt by all. We have a few walkers who meet our criteria (above) and are very committed and coming daily
or regularly to the benefit of our dogs. So many people watching via the Forum and 'wishing they were here' For those who can come I thank them greatly for their care and dedication.
Marv excelling in foster
Marv excelling in foster
This week has been a very sad week particularly for Italy, Spain and France. Yesterday 920 Italian deaths... including 4 doctors; 46 Italian doctors have died from this virus. Yesterday a 16 year old French girl died from southern Paris with no complicating health issues. Today we had our first front line Doctor to die an ENT consultant who thought he caught it via an outpatient.
Red working from home: Cola occupying Kate
Red working from home: Cola occupying Kate
So due to the many kind offers of Covid 19 fosters we have been able to offer 31 dogs sanctitude in March and have so far homed 22. " of our families have been waiting for months for us to get the dog we could match with their family. We have pulled many needy Welsh dogs in. We are delighted to home some of our longer term dogs in Zion Akita; Phoebe Amb and Logan Amb come to mind plus many other wonderful friends
Evan Sofar so good
Evan Sofar so good
My week has been a whirl but its been such a privilege to help our new friends especially our 3 feral friends Peaches, Owen and Wilson who are going to come a long way in our care. So many of our dogs in cosy homes, as we work at the kennels in cold frosty mornings and today hail storms catching our volunteers. As Terry said "4 seasons in a day" as the hot sun was soon shining again

83 dogs at least

Return to “Rescue Remedies Diary”