Big Bruce Staffie DofB 2010 - February 2021

In loving memory of dogs that have passed
MrsP

Re: Big Bruce Staffie DofB ?2010 Guildford Kenns

Post by MrsP »

I try not to do 'emotional posts' as I'm not really very sure that it helps a dog find their home, but Bruce makes me quite emotional. I keep it to myself until I get home but today I'm going to share it.
Bruce may be fairly new to RR but he's not new to rescue and before that he was living in a garden, he probably hasn't seen the inside of a home for nearly 6 years. Despite this he still absolutely adores people and is naturally gentle, today he met Jacqui C for the first time and gave her beautiful cuddles, he is always excited to meet a new friend.
Bruce has a way of melting into my leg in a grateful yet sad cuddle. It's hard to explain but I managed to capture it in a photo earlier, he almost gets weepy. I looked at these photos on the train home and cried
Sat on my feet
Sat on my feet
just leaning
just leaning

He has a reputation for being mouthy and strong but he hasn't mouthed me once and I'm able to get him in and out of his kennel, which is what he struggles with. Today I couldn't get him back in his kennel, he just didn't want to go, he told me so by taking hold of his lead and pulling me back out of the kennel block. He was still gentle with me and didn't mouth or jump at me in any way. So we sat together for a while outside the kennel block and I imagined how lovely life would be together with Bruce, until the kennel staff came and helped distract him with his dinner so he was happier to leave me. He is a rescuers dog through and through, he is a gift. To the person who knows what it is to save a dog who truly needs saving then Bruce is a beautiful gift.
staffylevi

Re: Big Bruce Staffie DofB 2010 Guildford Kenns

Post by staffylevi »

Bruce wasn't really interested in the food that Lee and I delivered today to Guildford he was more interested in going for a walk - I guess he's got his priorities right!! lol.gif The food was kindly donated by Support Adoption For Pets via Pets at Home Hertford and the blankets are from us for the dogs' early Christmas pressies. We did manage one pic but Brucie wanted to get going...!
Not Amused! My walk is calling...
Not Amused! My walk is calling...
Doin' it for the staffies ...
MrsP

Post by MrsP »

Our Big baby Bruce is making more and more friends and showing what an outstanding dog he is. He looks amazing at the moment as you'll see from his photos taken at the Christmas filming day.......
having an ear scratch
having an ear scratch
the little smile that he always seems to have nowadays
the little smile that he always seems to have nowadays
giving me a squish
giving me a squish
aaaaan sit, WHAT A GOOD BOY! Yeah I love him buckets.
aaaaan sit, WHAT A GOOD BOY! Yeah I love him buckets.
bobbyuk

Post by bobbyuk »

MrsP wrote:is it our Bruce? I love that boy!
Hey Mrs P. If I could add something. I have walked Bruce for the last 2 1/2 years ever since I was asked to transport him from one of the other kennels he was in under Safe and Sound to a vet close to me to evaluate his leg and to get him neutered. It was then that I fell in love with him. The vet asked me if I would wait with him until his aenesthetic shot took effect so they could neuter him. We sat out in the waiting room and he slumped against my leg and I caught him and cushioned his fall. The next day I took him back to his kennels and Amanda from Safe and Sound asked me if I would walk him a couple of times a month. The kennels were 90 minutes away from me and due to me working shift work that was all I could do. I was saddened when he went to Milton Keynes for a spell even though it was at the time thought the best place he could be rehomed.

I brought him down to Guildford and whenever I can I spend time with him. It's only a 50 minute drive but it is time well spent. There is a field that a lady who runs a doggy day care rents out for a tenner an hour. I take our own dogs there and on a couple of occasions, I took Bruce there. It's a TOTALLY SECURE field and it is 4 acres. He loved it!!! He got to spend an hour running care free around this field and sniffed all the brand new smells. I look forward to doing that this summer if he isn't fostered or adopted.

If I could, I would adopt him in a minute. However, I have 2 dogs at home, one an elderly Lab and the other one a Ridgeback cross which unfortunately is dog reactive. We also have 2 cats. It is my wish that Bruce find a beautiful home with people that love him to bits. For the time being, though I love him to bits and I love spending time with him. It's priceless seeing him at the fence in the outside part of his kennel, leaning against the gate so I can stroke him and kiss him through the mesh; then I tell him to meet me at the other door and he goes running to the inside door and waits for me. Yesterday, when I took him back to the kennel, I got him to sit and stay while I took his harness off and closed the door. Also yesterday, there was a dog in the first kennel that was barking a lot and Bruce went up to the door and sniifed this dog--in fact, they sniffed each other. That's the first time I had ever seen him do that.

As I said, I hope someone adopts this great big cuddly boy. It will be bittersweet for me when that happens but until then, I will give him all the love and attention he deserves when I go see him.
Sarahk

Post by Sarahk »

I met the rather wonderful Big Bruce today - what a boy, big strapping handsome lad love4.gif
DSC02536.JPG
DSC02538.JPG
DSC02524.JPG
DSC02527.JPG
DSC02532.JPG
DSC02540.JPG
DSC02546.JPG
DSC02518.JPG
Oh and did he love the treats ! Looking up as per that last shot and took them sooo gently thumbs.gif
We love walking the Kennels Dogs - would you like to join us?
Click here for our Dog Walking Questionnaire
MrsP

Post by MrsP »

I took Bruce to the pub today as there was a little walkers get together, we didn't stay long as I had doggies to walk and trains to catch, but he had the most magnificent time. He did want to get up on the pub furniture though so it's safe to say he'd be sofa dog thumbs.gif

Here he is taking in the environment, sat nicely, good boy
BB pub1.jpg
Sharing the love with Dymphna whilst I cuddled him on my lap love4.gif
BB pub2.jpg
BB pub3.jpg
MrsP

Post by MrsP »

Big Bruce and his oldest pal 'bobbyuk' love4.gif
BB and Bob.jpg
Bob is getting to know our other dogs too, but Big Bruce will always be his favourite boy thumbs.gif
Jojo18

Post by Jojo18 »

I've been honoured to meet and walk the adorable Big Bruce recently .He has very endearing qualities , loves human contact sits and leans against you for cuddles and affection , walks happily past joggers, cyclists with barely a look in there direction. He's a pleasure to walk and not a strong puller as stated in earlier posts. He has a sadness to him and would love a comfortable home of his own .
Nurse Flo

Post by Nurse Flo »

I had a lovely walk in the Spring sunshine with this lad recently.
He is such a friendly lad and being in one of the kennels closest to the entrance gate, every week I love seeing his smiling face and very waggy tail as I enter the kennel block.
Bruce is a bit bigger than your "standard" Staffie but you would not know it from walking him. He seemed pleased to be out and about and he walked confidently and happily with his kennel mate Lucky.
Bruce didn't bat an eyelid at anything that we encountered on our walk - how fab!
We had a few moments together at the end of the walk where he leant into my legs while I had a chat with him. So adorable and so loving.
SimonF

Post by SimonF »

I've only just started walking Big Bruce and I have to say he is just perfect in every way.
We met a few off lead dogs today and he either walked by without a look or stopped and introduced so well it was textbook quality.
He can pull a little on the lead at first but most of the walk you can just feel he's there with no issue. He will stop and wait with you when he needs to (crossing roads/letting people pass who are dog nervous/passing in narrow areas) and will look up at you with the deepest eyes for your visual approval and a 'good boy' to make his tail wiggle even more.

He is a beautiful soul who is bursting for his forever family to help him flourish.

Please have a look at his thread and if you feel that you can offer this amazing boy a forever home fill in the homing questionnaire and keep everything crossed!!

**In the first video I say 'Off lead' when I should have said 'long lead' as Bruce likes the extra few feet of line.

Stunning Bruce
Stunning Bruce

Looking good
Looking good

Keeping an eye on things
Keeping an eye on things

Such a striking boy
Such a striking boy

Return to “Dog Rainbow Bridge”