Big Bruce Staffie DofB 2010 - February 2021

In loving memory of dogs that have passed
Megan

Re: Big Bruce Staffie DofB 2010 Guildford Kenns

Post by Megan »

Saturday saw me arrive in sunshine, harness up Bruce, set off still in sunshine.... only for it to absolutely chuck it down not 5 minutes into mine and Bruce's walk. There were actual hail stones... sign_omg.gif
Unfortunately, I didn't get any pictures mostly due to the rain, as we soldiered on through it... (I'm sure anyone walking on Saturday would have seen me looking like a drowned rat returning to kennels...)

Anyway, back to Bruce.

I think I last walked Bruce last summer (how has it been that long?!) and I can't tell you what a change I saw in him on Saturday. He was more than happy for me to harness him in his kennel, ignored everyone on the way out of kennels, was a delight on our walk saying hello to most passers-by and even to some of the dogs, on and off lead. He's perfect with other dogs; has a quick sniff and a wag of the tail and then we're off again - such a gentleman!

There was a tiny tiny dog we came across that Bruce was saying hello to... but I think the reality of Big Bruce towering over this minitaure pup scared it more than the little thing had anticipated so it promptly ran off back to mum & dad. Bruce looked very sad as if to say "I didn't mean to scare him, I was only saying hello"...! Bless him.

I let Bruce on the long extender line after around 10 minutes to see what he'd be like; I wouldn't say he 'pulls' on a normal lead, but you do know he's there. However, on a long lead, Bruce quickly settled into a steady walk just ahead of me, happy to wait on the 'steady' command if he was coming to the end of the lead. Such a good boy! :goodjob.gif:

The gorgeous boy let me unharness him and dry him off a bit in his kennel and in return for treats, sat in his bed while I exited. I can't tell you all how much he's come along... from such a heartbreaking situation to come from, and to live through... to him being how he is now is just a true testament to, not only my fellow volunteers and Lynne for seeing this in him to start with, but to Bruce himself... such a wonderful boy.

Bruce is so gorgeous. He's firmly back at the top of my list after a long time of not seeing him properly.

In need of a special home, but I would say has a special love to give back in return.

love4.gif love4.gif love4.gif
SarahB(froggs)

Post by SarahB(froggs) »

Whilst over at Guildford today ( picking up a dog) I met the impressive 'Big Bruce' love4.gif

He had just been harnessed up and was coming out of the kennels for a walk with Nurse Flo.

Whilst I spoke to Nurse Flo, Big Bruce just sat there patiently waiting. I introduced myself and gave him a tickle behind his ear. All i can say is what a lovely, kind, laid back dog Big Bruce is, just taking everything in his stride.
Precious2003

Post by Precious2003 »

I cant understand how anyone could treat a beautiful animal like this. What a sad, sad life beautiful Bruce has had, made me cry reading his story. Will share on FB and ask everyone else to do likewise. In my prayers bruce sweetheart to get a wonderful home that you so richly deserve Good luck gorgeous boy xxxxx
lucyloo

Post by lucyloo »

Precious2003 wrote:I cant understand how anyone could treat a beautiful animal like this. What a sad, sad life beautiful Bruce has had, made me cry reading his story. Will share on FB and ask everyone else to do likewise. In my prayers bruce sweetheart to get a wonderful home that you so richly deserve Good luck gorgeous boy xxxxx
Yes very sad, he doesn't even have any particular behavioural issues. One of his regular walkers died very recently (a young man called Steve). I think of Steve every time I see Bruce. A big push for Bruce is needed. Steve would be thrilled to be looking down and seeing Bruce in a home. He often said that he would have him in a flash if he were able to. [cry.gif]
Nurse Flo

Post by Nurse Flo »

Darling Bruce - the most beautifully natured dog.
It was cuddles in his kennel before we set off on our walk today and then we had a nice wander around the local area.
Bruce has to be the easiest kid on the block! Walks along happily, doesn't react negatively to ANYTHING be it a lorry thundering past or a cross GSD barking at him.
He really is a joy to spend time with and despite his history he has very much forgiven the human race and is so very loving.
As lucyloo has said, Bruce has recently lost a dear friend and while we are trying to fill that void wouldn't it be such a tribute to Steve if someone special would step forward for this special lad? He so deserves some home comforts and a person to love him.
JacquiC

Post by JacquiC »

BB_1.jpg
For so long I have admired our beautiful boy – Big Bruce – in his kennel as he watches the world go by while waiting for his forever family. In spite of the hardships he has had to endure, he is still wonderfully affectionate, gentle and loving and last Tuesday I had the absolute privilege of walking him for the very first time.
BB_2.jpg
I cannot emphasize enough how fantastic Big Bruce is, as immediately I went in to harness him, he was the perfect gentleman, patiently humouring me as I put his harness on back-to-front(!), and then standing to attention while I rectified the situation. Leaving his kennel, he passed all his fellow residents so calmly and heading off on our walk together he proved to be an exceptional companion.
BB_3.jpg
I know some might say he is quite strong on his lead, but in fact, I’ve walked many RR boys and girls who are far more determined. I thought he might like to visit the river as I know he is a superstar swimmer, but Big Bruce seemed keen to head up into the woods which I think must be a favourite route for him. He very quickly made friends with a lady returning home on foot and instantly nuzzled up to her for some well-deserved cuddles. As she told us she was a Staffie owner herself, I could see she was instantly smitten by his gentle display of trust and affection (as are we all).
BB_4.jpg
Brucie just blossomed as we walked and was so connected and easy to engage with; he wasn’t alarmed by anything that was out of the ordinary – sudden flurries of birds flying out of the hedgerows or loud noises – and he was the perfect gentleman when it came to encountering another four-legged friend. As we made our way through the woods (where nine times out of ten, you don’t see a soul), a young off-lead German Shepherd ran towards us chasing her ball. Big Bruce was totally relaxed and unconcerned by her appearance, but we stood to the side of the path as, being my first walk with him, I didn’t want him to feel worried by her enthusiastic ball-chasing. But I needn’t have been remotely concerned as he gently sat down, leaning against my legs and waited for her to pass. What a wonderful moment to display his amazing skills and show what a true ambassador he is for all Staffies.
BB_5.jpg
Big Bruce does have some allergies which cause his skin to be sore from time-to-time so all the volunteers make sure we have special treats – for this EXTRA-special boy! I’d brought grain-free venison treats with me and every so often as we stopped to take a breather he would sit and delicately sip the odd treat from my fingers. For a dog who has had so few luxuries in his life, he savours every morsel and takes pleasure in every kindness.
BB_6.jpg
After our woodland walk, we sat up on a grassy hill for some quiet relaxation. Kennel life must be incredibly stressful for the boys and girls as there is often a lot of noise and plenty of ‘comings and goings’, so Bruce really seemed to enjoy the quiet time we spent together. We had plenty of cuddles and he proved to be a master face-washer! He pottered around me as I sat there, letting him go to the fullest extent of his lead – I’m sure he would be very happy on a long line too as he could do all his investigating (he loves to snuffle and do a bit of grass surfing) before returning to you for his much-loved fussing and hugs.
Quiet contemplation ...
Quiet contemplation ...
On returning to his kennel, Bruce lay on his bed; he loves a tummy tickle and a pig’s ear – in that order – and after lots of cuddles and many ‘goodbyes’ he waited beautifully while I exited, pressing up to the door to make his final farewell. What an absolute joy to spend an hour or two with this gorgeous soul!

RR’s beautiful boy yearns for a little love and affection in his life and as a firm favourite with all the walkers, he is not short of admirers, but it would so wonderful to see his name in the HOMED section. If you have a Big Bruce-shaped space on your sofa, and can offer him love, security and happiness, please consider filling in a homing questionnaire.
MandaTK

Post by MandaTK »

Such a wonderful write up Jacqui it brought tears to my eyes because you have summed up Big Bruce Exactly. Beautiful xxxxxxx
MrsP

Post by MrsP »

Bruce had an assessment for hydrotherapy a while ago and we all had the best day out. We discovered he's in really good shape and just has one slightly dodgy knee. Here he is in the "toileting paddock" at the hydro centre, just after he had serious kisses with an old Lab, he's so gentle and calm with other dogs love4.gif
BB hydro.jpg
I love him buckets
BB.jpg
MrsP

Post by MrsP »

I think one of the issues with our longer stay dogs is that people read the start of their thread and believe that's who the dog is. Bruce is NOT the dog who first came to us, he is not boistrous or excitable or difficult to get in and out of his kennel, he is WONDERFUL. Now he has consistent company, attention and affection he's an all round happy chappy.
water watching
water watching
Love ya
Love ya
Love ya more
Love ya more
Nurse Flo

Post by Nurse Flo »

Our Bruce has quite the fan club at Guildford.
He is so adorable and so loving that many of the volunteers go into his kennel purely to have cuddles.
Bruce LOVES company and is very calm and affectionate so even if not going out on walkies is very welcoming to receiving admirers.
I was the lucky gal yesterday that got to walk AND cuddle Bruce. He couldn’t be more easy to harness and get going out of his kennel. A bit strong on the lead at the start of the walk but soon settled into a nice pace.
We ended our walk with cuddles in the paddock. I sat on the concrete area and was soon joined by Bruce sitting on me all cuddled in. He was so loving and so gentle and we spent about 20 minutes together with me telling him to hold on in there - his special people WILL find him.
Once back in the kennel, it is harness off, a kiss on top of his head and then “Bruce, bed” and he hops onto his bed so you can easily leave his kennel.
A beautiful soul is our Bruce.
I had the glorious problem of not being to take any photos of our love-in as the October sunshine was too bright yesterday!

Return to “Dog Rainbow Bridge”