Big Bruce Staffie DofB 2010 - February 2021

In loving memory of dogs that have passed
xxlynne

Big Bruce Staffie DofB 2010 - February 2021

Post by xxlynne »

Bigbruce38.JPG
Big Bruce reached the grand old age of 10 last year but alas Bruce made it clear to Nicky and Ian in January 21 that his time was coming close. Their agreed so they gave him special times and in late February 21...he laid his head to rest for the final time in the lap if his beloved Nicky and Ian
BigBruce.jpg
StaffieRescue dog of the Month March 18
Current Status: Homed
Bruce needs a supportive family to offer time and tolerance to allow their new dog to settle. NB Our Rescue asks owners to maintain dogs on lead in public spaces and manage encounters, as dog law changes place dog's lives at greater risk.

Known background: Bruce was handed in Sept 13 to pound saving Charity, Safe & Sound as his family tried to sell him for a £1 on a free ad site. They could not manage him & he had by then been living 4 years in their back garden. Rescue Remedies stepped forwards to offer a Rescue place and save Bruce's life when another Rescue returned him. Bruce is neutered, chipped and fully vaccinated. Bruce has been successfully treated for a chronic skin condition which has come under control. Bruce has damaged joints with some arthritis to his knee which is not correctable. Bruce is a larger 27 kgm Staffie x Bruce however has a wonderful temperament and many have stood by him, believing in his worth & gifts as a family pet.

Bruce has had a tragic life, found being sold for a £1 on free ad. Had been living in the back garden for 4 years due to family members allergies to him. He developed skin allergies & these have been treated. Bruce has joint problems but no surgical intervention can help. 3 years in Rescue & we are looking for a special family as Bruce’s companion, experienced & responsible family to avoid long grass but fine on cut grass. Bruce hasn’t had a normal life a totally impoverished one. Bruce needs company, has calmed with regular walks. Darling

Visit Bruce's thread for daily updates, lots of pictures and videos. Please click to submit Online Application We will match you with a dog that suits your lifestyle, please remain open we successfully home 350 dogs per annum. We work fast to secure our dogs their loving homes.

***PLEASE HELP: We have to ask for suggested min. donation £175 at the time of adoption, to support so many dogs in kennels. We have no state sponsorship and exist on the goodwill of the public and our supporters. Rescue Remedies offers their dogs back up for life.
Bruce3.jpg
Bruce4.jpg
Bigbruce46.JPG
Bruce's Thread below: Watch progress through our Rescue
Original Referral: Please remember this is the information we received from the referrer. Once a dog is with us and we begin to work with them and unpack them they can and often do reveal positive skills trust and transform behaviours Bruce has been waiting for a Rescue Place Since September 2013: Earliest Referral
SBT (was)entire male, 4 years old. Rather shell-shocked at the moment, but slowly coming out of his shell. Very sad story - has lived in a back garden for several years because the resident child had allergies; he was not taken out at all so not used to being around other animals. Not thought to be toilet >trained. Has previously lived with children (youngest 7 years). Bruce has at least one bad leg which needs to be investigated - he is reportedly limping. (Investigated and Vets can not do any surgery to help). Will not be reclaimed due to owner's circumstances.

Bruce as of May 2016
Neutered and fully vaccinated. "Extremely strong puller on the lead (at just under 30kg this will be a challenge for new owners to tackle immediately. Confident upon meeting me and indifferent upon meeting another dog (Dalmation, indoors approx 3 metres).
As you are aware, noticeable bald and red patches on all 4 legs, armpits, belly and chest. I did notice that he holds his rear end up significantly higher than his shoulders and weight bears slightly to his right hand side. Apparently he has arthritis. No interest in toys, no interest in the accidental dropped food (chicken). I utilised grass enclosures to see how he would cope with me out of sight. He did not care at all. When leaving paddock however required holding on tight as he was very keen to stay. Kennel manager mentioned that leaving him causes hard mouthing. Other than his separation/mouthing combination his only barrier for a home in my opinion is his medical issues. Lovely temperament, allowing me to handle him everywhere despite what must at least be irritable reactions. I would be happy to rehome him to a home with no children ( mouthing) and pending a more rigorous dog test feasibly with another dog. I hope the new vet can help find and treat the allergy." Trainer/ assessor.

10.08.2016 Hi Lynne

We wanted to speak to you about Bruce. He is a lovely lovely boy and his skin problem is now nicely under control We were wondering if you might possibly be able to consider taking him on after the summer holidays, perhaps September or October? Happy to answer any questions you may have. Kind regards, Amanda Safe and Sound"
bruce_staffie5.jpg
bruce_staffie6.jpg
We have agreed to take Bruce on on the 1st Oct 16. Hopefully we will have less dogs and be able ot offer him time and due deligence. At the moment we are far too stretched.
MrsP

Re: Bruce Staffie DofB ?2010 Surrey comes 1st October

Post by MrsP »

is it our Bruce? I love that boy!
xxlynne

Post by xxlynne »

Yes indeedy
nhelyer

Post by nhelyer »

Oh wonderful! LOVE that boy! love4.gif love4.gif
jacnmrb

Post by jacnmrb »

Thanks for taking Bruce into RR care, Lynne xx
MrsP

Re: Bruce Staffie DofB ?2010 Guildford Kenns

Post by MrsP »

So Bruce is not a 'very strong puller' in my opinion, he is strong but not VERY strong because he is incredibly responsive. I think if you're used to a big dog you'll be fine with our Bruce. His skin had flared up a bit when I walked him last week, kennel staff think he may have been in contact with something that irritated it on a previous walk. It does look a bit angry but he seemed unbothered by it and is still a super handsome boy.
We had a good stroll, a sit down with a cuddle and a little interaction with a wooden bull :D
Bruce was a bit scared of the wooden bull, so we went and had a sniff, he was very proud of himself as was I.
Bruce was a bit scared of the wooden bull, so we went and had a sniff, he was very proud of himself as was I.
Bruce is a bit of a boys boy so it shall be my mission to convince him that us girlies are pretty awesome too love4.gif
ADORABLE!
ADORABLE!
Bunnyowl

Re: Bruce Staffie DofB ?2010 Guildford Kenns

Post by Bunnyowl »

Wow! How lovely is Bruce! I have to agree with MrsP; Bruce isn't very strong, I have walked much stronger boys and girls. What a wonderful boy. Such a sad background but so loving and interested. Very responsive to commands and listenes intensely. Loves people and very well behaved waiting for other doggies to pass on our walk. An absolute pleasure to be around. Really deserves someone to love him as much as he will love them.
Look at those lovely ears!
Look at those lovely ears!
Megan

Re: Big Bruce Staffie DofB ?2010 Guildford Kenns

Post by Megan »

I had the absolute pleasure of taking Big Bruce out on Saturday with James, and what an absolute darling he is.

I can't get over how his life has gone so far and can't commend him enough for still being so very loving and fun.

Bruce is very excitable when you get him out of kennels, but allows you to put all his harness and collar on while sitting for the most part, in between little outbursts of wanting to give you lots of love!

He is very responsive to his walkers and absolutely fine passing other dogs out and about.

We took the path into Guildford as I didn't want his allergies to flair up on the grass around the island, and he greeted people nicely and waited very patiently for joggers and cyclists to pass when asked.
bruce 2.JPG
bruce 1.JPG
He is such a special, absolutely gorgeous boy who would give so much love. His past is obvious through his physical appearance, but inside, his past has not dented what a wonderful temperament he has.

:smiley-gen132.gif: love4.gif :smiley-love014.gif:
MrsP

Post by MrsP »

Awwww our Bruce is blossoming into the best of boys. I had the loveliest walk with him, he is a gentle soul out and about and that is starting to show in kennels. I'm able to get him out for his walk now, Chris (kennel owner) puts him away still but I went with them and Chris says he's seen a real improvement. Bruce is a real people dog and doesn't like being left in his kennel but yesterday he held onto his lead and trotted into his kennel beautifully. He leant up against his kennel door and we had kisses and strokes through the mesh, I can't wait to see Bruce in a home love4.gif
Ello Gawjus
Ello Gawjus
Bruce has a few allergies and shouldn't really lay on grass, my reminders of this fell on deaf ears! I just got kisses and tummies to rub!
Bruce has a few allergies and shouldn't really lay on grass, my reminders of this fell on deaf ears! I just got kisses and tummies to rub!
well who could argue with this level of relaxed joy! I told Chris so he could see if he got itchy later on, it was lovely to see him chill out though. I'll take a blanket with us next week.
well who could argue with this level of relaxed joy! I told Chris so he could see if he got itchy later on, it was lovely to see him chill out though. I'll take a blanket with us next week.
xxlynne

Post by xxlynne »

Big Bruce is doing so well. We had a second trip to our vets today and Bruce was so well behaved on route and in Mark's company. An adjustment of medications with Chris from the kennels liaising closely with Mark and Bruce's skin improving.

Chris wants to thank all our volunteers as Big Bruce's quality of life is really improving and he is beginning to lose some of his intensity and his mood is happier. :thanks.gif:

Return to “Dog Rainbow Bridge”