Ruby Staffie DOB 30.07.13 Kingston upon Thames

Dogs that have found their forever home
xxlynne

Ruby Staffie DOB 30.07.13 Kingston upon Thames

Post by xxlynne »

Current Status: Homed
Ruby23.jpg
Ruby needs a supportive family to offer time and tolerance to allow their new dog to settle. NB Our Rescue asks owners to maintain dogs on lead in public spaces and manage encounters, as dog law changes place dog's lives at greater risk.

Known background: Ruby was a domestic violence victim & came with a lot of baggage. Family went into a refuge and father was sent to prison for gun and knife offences. Ruby came into Rescue early 2015. We stepped forwards to offer a Rescue place and save Ruby's life. Ruby has had a lot of rehabilitation since. Ruby is neutered, chipped and fully vaccinated. Ruby was in foster as an only dog, & Then back in kennels nr Gatwick

Ruby had a tragic early life growing up as a puppy in a violent family. She came into care as a young dog self protective & edgy but her heart is bleeding to be loved & share love. Ruby grew up with a JRT. Ruby is delightful & great out & about now. Ruby can suddenly have fearful moments but this is becoming less and less due to the loving care of her fosterer. Ruby doesn’t cope in kennels. Eyes like Rubies

Visit Ruby's thread for daily updates, lots of pictures and videos. Please click to submit Online Application We will match you with a dog that suits your lifestyle, please remain open we successfully home 350 dogs per annum. We work fast to secure our dogs their loving homes.

***PLEASE HELP: We have to ask for suggested min. donation £175 at the time of adoption, to support so many dogs in kennels. We have no state sponsorship and exist on the goodwill of the public and our supporters. Rescue Remedies offers their dogs back up for life.
Ruby67.jpg
Ruby61.jpg
Ruby's Thread below: Watch progress through our Rescue
Original Referral: Please remember this is the information we received from the referrer. Once a dog is with us and we begin to work with them and unpack them they can and often do reveal positive skills trust and transform behaviours March 2016: Ruby is an SBT cross female, approximately 2 years old with very cute bat ears. Dear Ruby is a shy, nervous girl who was a witness to severe domestic abuse in her former home and sadly has the hallmarks of a dog that has been physically abused. Ruby is not massively keen on being stroked and can exhibit some avoidance, but a trainer employed by us has been working with her on this (see video below) and she is winning. She can sit and give paw. She pulls a little on the lead and would benefit from some loose leash training. Ruby has previously lived with another dog older collieand has been well behaved around other dogs at the kennels. Ruby will need an understanding rescue to continue her recovery. She can also exhibit playfulness on the lead when frustrated. A xx S&S
Ruby5.jpg
Ruby9.jpg
Ruby11.jpg

Short video of Ruby playing "the bucket game" with IMDT trainer Matt Rolfe
MrsP

Re: Ruby Staffie DOB 30.07.2013 Guildford Kenns

Post by MrsP »

I've 'known' Ruby for some time as she has shared one of our kennel runs whilst waiting for her rescue space. I have always made a verbal fuss of her as she is in the end kennel and has a bit of a quiet life, ALSO THOSE EARS could hardly be ignored!
I was very excited to be able to take her for a walk on Saturday. I knew she could be a little worried around being touched on her flanks so showed her where my hands were going whilst harnessing her and gave her lots of verbal reassurance, she was no problem, easy peasy.

Ruby and I then had an hours walk together which was thoroughly enjoyable. She has a working dog nature keeping herself busy with scents and snuffles, relishes in an instruction especially if it is accompanied with a treat and is generally just a 'proper' dog :D

Met a couple of dogs well, one nose to nose beautifully but she is quite playful in a bit of a terrier way, which could get her in trouble with the wrong dog, luckily it was an older lab who just rolled his big brown eyes at her puppyish ways.

There are nerves and inexperience there, I had to encourage her through an overgrown area of the path as it was very shady at her level and she couldn't see the way out which obviously scared her a little. Back in her kennel I gave her lots of strokes and fuss on her face and ears as she likes that, then gave her a sausage for being such a good girl. Every time she saw me after that she'd get all excited and pogo in her kennel, despite having seen me around for ages we needed a walk together to become real friends love4.gif
snuffly snuffles
snuffly snuffles
helllooooo there
helllooooo there
clever girl with a perfect sit
clever girl with a perfect sit
Last edited by MrsP on Tue 24 May 2016 22:09, edited 1 time in total.
MrsP

Re: Ruby Staffie DOB 30.07.2013 Reading Temp Foster

Post by MrsP »

Ruby's come home with me for a few days spay recovery, her tummy is a little sore and red but she hasn't touched it or bothered it in any way.
She met Tizer (my RR boy) nicely on a walk and I've split my house in two areas with a tall child/dog gate thingy, I didn't want to shut her away but I knew Tizey would have his grumbly moments (he's already had one) so wanted to make everyone comfortable with defined space.
They've had lots of nose to nose and Ruby tries ever so hard to make herself look as friendly and non-threatening as possible.
We've been back 5 hours now and she appears to be housetrained, every time I take her to the garden whilst saying "lets go for a wee" she does it immediately :goodjob.gif:

She's not enamoured with the open crate I have in the kitchen so I brought her down a soft bed from upstairs. She seems to love it and plays with it a bit but hasn't ripped, punctured or torn it in any way (which is amazing for me as if anything goes in Tizer's mouth in a playful way it gets destroyed), SUCH a good girl.

She has eaten some salmon Nutriment and is now sparko in her bed. She has settled incredibly quickly and has been very affectionate and ridiculously obedient. Ruby is a little smasher!
enjoying a bone in the garden
enjoying a bone in the garden
having a drink
having a drink
in her bed
in her bed
xxlynne

Post by xxlynne »

Fantastic Thank you Laura, Simon and Tizer this little girl so needs this break and to build up her confidence again

I had a day out with her yesterday. She was so pleased to get free of her kennel and readily jumped into a travel crate. Did much better in the vets than I had expected and before she knew it she was going under into a deep sleep ready for spay and vaccination. Spay was normal and we took the opportunity to put a new collar with our disc on it and a harness. Bailey a Safe & Sound Staffie who we neutered travelled in a crate next to Ruby and they had brief words at the start of the journey but quicky settled next to each others crates. Once I had off loaded Blanche the puppy to Charlie Ruby joined me as my front passenger.
Ruby (3).jpg
Getting sleepy again
Getting sleepy again
I still have an eye on you are we there yet?
I still have an eye on you are we there yet?
Ruby did really well and was affectionate with little licks to my nose, though did out the blue tell me off then readjusted herself and tried to make friends "oppssorry I'm forget I suddenly got nervous". Ruby's fur is in poor condition but otherwise she has survived a year in kennels despite her desperate need for acceptance and to offer love. Just so delighted Laura is offering her recovery and a chance further to touch base with life again
MrsP

Post by MrsP »

Ruby slept downstairs on her own from 10.30pm until I got up at 6.45am, no noise, no mess, no concerns in any way thumbs.gif

After 32 hours of rest her tummy is looking fab, which I'm very pleased by as it was a big angry yesterday.

She's a lovely houseguest and has shown no nerves with me, she did 'pancake' when Simon was here for a bit so he had to spend some time convincing her he was ok. She wasn't aggressive in any way just a bit scared smiley-sad010.gif

The longer she spends here the less impressed she is with Tizer. If I'm in Tizer's side of the house with him then she almost flutters her eyelashes at him. If I'm in with her then she'll shout at him if he looks our way. I think her human time is quite precious to her at the moment, which is more than understandable given her past and time in kennels. I'm not saying that she wouldn't settle with another dog as her dog skills out and about are quite good and she's had some lovely interactions with Tizer, she may just find sharing affection a challenge to begin with.

We've had lovely walks, she's had zoomies in the garden then calmed when asked, she sits and lays down on command, sits and waits for her food, is definitely housetrained, has a little cry when being left but then settles, has walked past ducks, geese, swans, cats and other dogs without interest. So many skills for such a young dog with such a rubbish start to life.

MrsP

Post by MrsP »

Ruby and I went and visited Fred this afternoon and Ruby had the time of her life! Fred has a beautiful big garden and she really made the most of it, it was a joy to see.
Ruby resized1.jpg
Ruby resized 2.jpg
Ruby resized3.jpg
Ruby resized6.jpg
Then I attempted to take some beauty shots of our little stunner! love4.gif
Ruby resized4.jpg
Ruby resized8.jpg
Ruby resized5.jpg
Ruby resized7.jpg
She really is a wonderful little dog.
Fred R

Post by Fred R »

MrsP wrote: She really is a wonderful little dog.
Understatement of the year, MrsP! She is just stunning, as are the photos! :goodjob.gif: Thanks. Now, despite the bat ears I expected to see a Staffie (or at least a Staffie X). But to my untutered eye she struck me as a cross between a Mini-GSD and Collie: Obedient, alert and intelligent like a GSD with the speed of a very agile Collie - but what do I know. Whatever she is, Ruby is truly wonderful with huge potential. Let's hope her forever family finds her soon - preferably one with a HUGE garden for Ruby to enjoy.
MrsP

Post by MrsP »

I overslept until 8.15 this morning, still no noise, mess or issues from our Ruby.

Last night I took her on a walk with Tizer and because I'm on my own I asked her to wear a cautionary muzzle, which she did more than happily, ANOTHER plus. I needn't have worried as they walked beautifully together, Tizer wanted to tell her off when she had a roll around in a "enough of that excitement young lady" way, but his ''leave it" is second to none so she got to have her fun!

General household things are not a worry for Ruby, I've had all three kitchen appliances on whilst she's been in the kitchen and she's not phazed, the washing machine got a head tilt when on a spin cycle and that's it. She doesn't beg if you're eating and you can ask her to go and "lie down" which she does immediately.

The only thing she needs support with is her excitement around affection, she really loves people. We've been working on her being calm for cuddles and this morning I was able to sit on some floor cushions with her and have my coffee. Yes I got smothered in kisses but she's a bright girl and gave my hot drink plenty of space. When she gets super excited she carries her blanket around in her mouth, which is ridiculously cute. As long as she has a raggy, blanket or similar then she self calms which is such a skill.

I adore Ruby, she's a very easy dog to have around in my opinion, you just need to treat her with a bit of understanding. She deserves to be the centre of someone's world and that someone will be very lucky indeed.
Ruby watching me cook
Ruby watching me cook
Fred R

Post by Fred R »

Hello, all my adoring fans! Yep - still in Reading but mercifully not too far from fab MrsP. Fred really must get a new camera which may have been good enough for some, but simply won't do for fabulous me!
Ruby1b.jpg
Fred R

Post by Fred R »

Ruby seems to have settled down really well - and surprisingly quickly. A good night's sleep was had by all from 22:30 until 06:30 . Visit to the garden to do the "busines", back indoors for breakfast (Naturediet), running about in the garden sniffing every blade of grass, keeping the pigeons off the lawn, then a quiet moment and a few cuddles. Harness on - easy peasy - and my first walk with Madam Ruby on a chain link lead - another first for me. Nose to the ground (Ruby, not me), sniff and snuffle, unfazed by the traffic and off we went. At noon we had a visitor who received a friendly welcome from Ruby - having first announced her arrival loud and clear. Ruby seems to know that it is her solemn duty to make sure everybody in the house knows about an imminent invasion, whether postman or parcel delivery (more dog food). No more photos until new camera arrives.

Return to “Dogs Rehomed”