Dylan Staffie DOB 2012 - 14th October 22

In loving memory of dogs that have passed
tufty

Re: Dylan Staffie DOB TBAss Chessington Kenns

Post by tufty »

Dylan, new walker Yolanda and I had a lovely walk today. When you first walk Dylan he is quite pully and very keen to get out and about, but today I saw quite a miraculous transformation.

We decided to walk him with the lead just attached to the body harness rather than the collar as well, as he tends to strain against his collar, and suddenly he was a different dog.

He had just a bit more length on the lead and he walked really well, only pulling very infrequently and really responding well to heel commands. He has lots of energy, and we were able to have a little jog with him and give him a bit more freedom which he really enjoyed. He had a splash about in the stream and his soft loving side really came out, nuzzling our hands and leaning into us for cuddles whilst we waited to take him back for lunch.

He was fine close to the other dogs, and didn’t react to them, even when we passed some not so well-behaved dogs. Dylan loves sticks, even if those sticks are 10 times as big as him, but he was really good and came immediately when called, happy to continue with the walk.

Today was a real insight into his friendly character and what a great addition Dylan would be to a loving family, with time to spend giving him the attention and training he clearly strives for. He knows his commands already and will come to you when called, ready to receive a treat or a cuddle.
Yolanda

Post by Yolanda »

Dylan really is a lovely dog and deserves loads of love and walks! love4.gif
image.jpeg
Yolanda

Post by Yolanda »

Dylan and I had a long walk on Saturday! At first he was eager to get on with it and pulled on the lead but soon settled down.

We walked with the lead attached on his harness only and we didn't have any problems. We past sheep, horses, pigs and apart from having a look there was no reaction at all.

Whilst we were having a rest... drink, treat and cuddles a dog walker with four dogs came by and two of the dogs came close but no reaction from Dylan who was such a good boy.

I feel sorry for him as he as he doesn't get walked as much as some of the other dogs and now that he has his harness on all the time.. he's ready to go :)

On Saturday he let me stroke his belly, back and neck and have a happy roll in the grass. This sweet dog just needs to find his forever home with an experience loving family who has the time to work with him - all he just needs to trust a little more love4.gif love4.gif
tufty

Post by tufty »

Someone beat me to taking Dylan out at the weekend, but I was lucky enough to get a big welcome from him whilst he was waiting to go back after his walk. He’s such a friendly little guy and ran over, tail wagging, definitely after cuddles and kisses and with a clear desire to clean my face for me, thanks Dylan!
nada.c

Post by nada.c »

Dylan and I had our first walk together on Saturday morning. Despite the pouring rain, he was eager and pleased to be out for a good long walk. Every now and again he would look back at me but then continue ahead. Sadly I forgot my treats but when we got back to the kennels he quickly found a walker with treats in his hand and made friends. Dylan is a sweet little boy!
Davidoneill

Post by Davidoneill »

I took Dylan out for a couple of hours on Saturday morning - he is very well behaved with people and animals. I had been forewarned as this was our first walk to be careful about petting him due to his past experiences. Hence I offered him my hand and was very careful to respect his boundaries. that said, on our journey we did meet a few "civvies" who recognised him and Dylan actually went to greet them, he was also well behaved with other dogs who approached him - a labrador, another staffie (not from RR) and a spaniel. As for walking on the lead, after the initial 10 minutes excitement (I need longer legs) he walked at my pace and there was a lot of slack on the lead. Can't comment on Dylan's past, as I felt it was very easy to bond with him, but certainly he deserves a happy future in a loving home.
xxlynne

Post by xxlynne »

Dylan had a lovely walk today he was so happy to be out of his kennel and heading away from the kennels. Dylan reminded me as I offered him a crate to get into in the dog mobile...crates are not my scene. He did jump into the front but was way too high energy straight from the kennels to enable me to drive him over to the park, so we set off walking for the field. I felt full of glee with my mate.

As you may know Dylan has had a dark past either neglectful; harsh restrictive treatment or confrontative. Dylan carries concern beneath his surface smiles. Those surface smiles are his sunny Staffie nature; very loving joyful Staffie gushing in full flow most of the time. but he has an ego which can reveal itself if pressured to do something he isnt keen on. Dylan however can be worked with but is better one to one and with him feeling he is leading the agenda and respected. Dylan soaks in praise: he radiates with every good boy given. Dylan needs a very understanding owner who can devote themselves to one another and get the measure of their routine and barquest in the quietness of life. Dylan could not cope with children they are too unpredictable for him. Dylan offers terrific companionship and wants to potter in a garden, go hunting for his toys and know his dinner is prepared religiously and his friend (owner) believes in him and will never tell him off or scold him...but subtly directs him, guides him and knows how if he gets excited with his lead to show patience and change to re-engage his purpose back into the matter at hand ... the task ahead

He is Dylan enjoying the paddock
Josanne

Post by Josanne »

Dylan.jpg
Dylan 2.jpg
Look at that lovely BIG staffie grin!!! The kennel staff said Dylan doesn't like to be touched around the head unannounced by strangers (and from reading his thread I can understand why), so we made sure to respect Dylan's boundaries and had a really enjoyable walk with him. He did pull at the start, but the kennel staff said he doesn't get taken on walks very often, so he obviously has energy to burn. We passed several dogs during the walk and didn't see any aggression from Dylan at all. We'll definitely walk Dylan on every visit - until he gets snapped up by his forever family, of course!
xxlynne

Post by xxlynne »

I went back to Chessington today whilst 3 of our dogs were being neutered to give Dylan an afternoon out and about. We had a wonderful time in Earlswood
Dylan03.jpg
By the lake

Dylan01.jpg
Over the golf course

Dylan04.jpg
Dylan05.jpg
Dylan greeted Beany really well when she came into the front seat and they met via the grid. Loved spending time with Dylan and he realx down. One lady stopped me in the car park to comment what a beautiful Staffie he was and when she realised we were a rescue said she would love to help Staffies in need and is going to look at our website
Attachments
Dylan02.jpg
Bramleyapples

Post by Bramleyapples »

Popped into Chessington this morning to see Dylan as he missed out on a walk yesterday. It was our first meeting and after having read his thread I did not want to overwhelm him. I let Dylan take the lead in terms of building a relationship - he was not very responsive at the beginning of our walk and did not want to take treats, but as he relaxed a little there was a lot more looking back at me and he sat for some treats with a big smile and wagging tail. He really does have stunning brown eyes! He had a great time playing with a couple sticks - he only seemed to be interested in ones that were at least three times his size! I was amazed at his strength as he picked them up and moved them around. He was very strong on the lead at the beginning but did settle down - I did not want to move his lead around but I do think that he could do with a little more space and to have the lead only attached to his harness. When we got back to the kennels he was nuzzling my hands looking for cuddles and leaning against me and sitting on my feet.

He needs a special person he can put his trust in and who can put some consistency and positivity in his life. He will make the right person a loving, loyal dog.

Looking for some reassurance
Looking for some reassurance
Happy times with a stick!
Happy times with a stick!

Return to “Dog Rainbow Bridge”