Merlin Shih Tzu DoB ?2013 - 03.06.21

In loving memory of dogs that have passed
xxlynne

Merlin Shih Tzu DoB ?2013 - 03.06.21

Post by xxlynne »

Merlin73.JPG
4th June 2021:Phyllis and Neville together with their adult children Morgan and Duncan informed us during the week that Merlin's ill health of late had taken a turn for the worst. Last night June was informed Merlin was now at Peace
Merlin.jpg
Merlin's Story : Found stray/abandoned. His dog warden Linda bought Merlin straight into our vet and our care, as should a family try to claim ownership they would be a certain prosecution: Rescue Remedies offered a Rescue place saving is life. Merlin was the care and direction of our vet: Had his leg removed. Merlin is now neutered; chipped, skin care, eye care and fur care and fully vaccinated. Merlin was in foster in a multi-dog household in Feltham

PLEASE NOTE: Dog laws have changed with zero public tolerance and prejudice against bull breeds and terriers. Our Rescue asks new owners to maintain dogs on lead in public spaces, and manage and support encounters so as not to place dog's lives at risk, (Destruction or Control Orders are common place nowadays).

***PLEASE HELP OUR LONG STAY DOGS: Our min. adoption donation £175, which supports our work and Is non returnable. We will offer an alternative dog should our dog not settle given adequate time and reassurance. Rescue Remedies offers their dogs back up for life and exist on the goodwill of our supporters and volunteers.

Please click for Merlin's thread for regular updates, new pictures and videos. To apply to home a dog, you must be ready within 7 days and complete a homing questionnaire submitted Online We work fast to secure our dogs their loving homes and can be talking to up to 10 families at any one time. Please remain open: We have the dogs we have. Our dogs need a supportive family to offer patience, time & tolerance to allow them to settle.
Merlin88.JPG
Merlin86.JPG
Merlin's progress through our Rescue below
Original Referral information : We work with our dogs & often reveal a different picture & positive skills as they build trust. 12.01.18: Emergency call from Linda the dog warden for Hertfordshire requesting we take a very neglected Shih Tzu into our vet and our care. Shocking state we were happy to receive him

Merlin has been examine, treatment for massive flea infestation; has had an antibiotic injection and booked in for his front leg to be removed on Monday
Merlin3 (1).JPG
Merlin41.jpg
Merlin67.jpg
Merlin3 (4).JPG
Merlin3 (1).JPG
Merlin's back
Merlin's back
Flea treating
Flea treating
Examine
Examine
Into his warm room...
Merlin3 (2).JPG
Merlin3 (3).JPG
xxlynne

Re: Merlin Shih Tzu DofB TBAss Gatwick Kenns

Post by xxlynne »

Early morning and I pop into Merlin's room to find it empty.... there he is curled up in the cat carrier I left their last night. Later that morning before going in observed Merlin fast a sleep then wakes and goes back to sleep.
Havent been in since last night only

Merlin had delivered a wet pooh with worms in mid morning and weed. We cleaned up leaving the one blanket he had marked as he entered his room as this is him laying his scent and making his den. We will remove tomorrow

A few visitors in Merlin's room Lisa, Eddie & Rebecca... You will see from the video Merlin is quite closed down and a little concerned but noone is going to put pressure on him all at his pace on his terms

here is Eddie making friends
13.1.18 005.JPG
13.1.18 004.JPG
xxlynne

Post by xxlynne »

Merlin has had a very long day most of it he has spent sleeping. Sarah came to meet him after her long day walking our dogs...and she decided to settle down and befriend him. We managed to get a wormer down him so we have started his 7 day panacur course which will zap worms and lungworm if present. Merlin enjoyed cheese, Barry brought him Ham, and he likes cooked chicken. Merlin has the habit of trying to bury any excess food under his blankets. He was drinking well throughout the day

Sarah came back an hour later and snuggled up and deepened the friendship and began slowly snipping away at his greasy; dead skin matts which were cities to flea colonies. Over the course of the night we gave him 2 malaseb baths and whilst Sarah held him I chiselled away at his matts. His skin is very loose and we were very careful to maintain his co-operation and not to damage his very fine skin. The second bath we got a lot of dirt off him and a dustpan full of gunk. Sarah left 10.15pm having enjoyed a wonderful evening with Merlin
Merlin61.jpg
Merlin62.jpg
Merlin63.jpg
Merlin64.jpg

Mark our vet had said we will find the dog inside there...Sarah and I witnessed the closed down frightened and apprehensive little Merlin begin to relate, trust and emerge
Happydays

Post by Happydays »

How incredibly sad to see merlin in such a sorry state!! At least he is in the right place now and with a great vet like Mark treating him his in with a fighting chance. I don’t know much about the affects of this kind of abuse but I would think Merlin learning to trust again must be very difficult?
All the best Merlin, we are all rooting for you.

Al
SarahW

Post by SarahW »

It was great getting to know Merlin last night and watch his personality emerge. He is one tough cookie to have got to where he is today. He mats are bad but by the end of the evening Lynne and eye got his eyes visible again, his ears a bit better. He even joined in and was clearing mats off his legs. Good lad!

He was slowly trotting around and telling us what he was happy to let us do and what he was not going to let us do. This boy has bags of character and loves being bundled up on my lap with blankets all around him.

He is in a shocking state for sure but in the small amount of time I was with him he perked up, realised we were there to help and food was his to eat.

Merlin is a dude!
Would you like to walk our lovely dogs too?
Dog walking volunteer form
Pegmilly

Post by Pegmilly »

After the sarah and Lynne spa and haircut night. X
After the sarah and Lynne spa and haircut night. X
Despite all Merlin has been through, he remains positive and hasn't lost his fighting spirit. He wasn't at all sad, didn't feel sorry for himself at all. He preferred for me to give him his chicken on his blanket, an inch from his mouth. It's hard to know where to stroke him as he has lots of sore spots but he soon let me know if I was in the wrong place. I thought I would be very upset seeing him but mainly I felt so very in awe of merlin. To come through such neglect yet still remain upbeat, truly humbled me. He is definitely one cool, little dude. Xx
SarahW

Post by SarahW »

Merlin has found his appetite, he is getting stronger and allowing his fur to be trimmed. He really is an amazing boy.
Tucking into his dinner
Tucking into his dinner
m2.jpg
Snuggled up for bedtime
Snuggled up for bedtime
Would you like to walk our lovely dogs too?
Dog walking volunteer form
xxlynne

Post by xxlynne »

Merlin has had another great day today getting stronger and stronger. His paw is getting worse and its exactly the right compromise to get it taken off and him being stronger to be able to bear the GenAn & op. SarahW & I are beginning to see him emerge as are his other close devotees. He is accepting 'to a degree' then you see the change in his demeanour and you know "one move...!" I took liberties today and I received the outstretched neck and zap.. Well little Merlin that is an apology for a bite, it lacked impact; definition and determination. Teeth were felt but was that it ?Really! He is immediately receptive to praise and further intervention...he had stated his boundary ...now pray continue!

We were prepping today for the big day tomorrow when that poorly leg is taken away. Sarah and I got some big scabby matts off which were bothering us more than Merlin, but he is relieved to be free of them. We had a large well formed normal pooh so rejoice! This afternoon we bathed him again with malaseb and we managed to negotiate the lift into the bath tub. Merlin is mainly fur less now so we are getting a much cleaner result. He has new fur like a fine down growing and if it wasn't for his sharp protruding bones he would begin to be soft to touch.

SarahW is collecting him in the morning and taking him into our vets. He will probably stay overnight and Sarah will collect whenever he is ready for discharge and she is going to have him post operatively so our vet can carefully monitor him over the next 5 days then down to John & Sylvie for convalescent
Chapmania

Post by Chapmania »

Merlin is looking in better shape than he was on Sunday when I met him. He really is a little fighter and I am hoping and praying that his spirit will see him through his operation and recovery. His condition is truly appalling but with the love and care that he is receiving, Merlin has every chance of a much happier life. Huge :thanks.gif: to Lynne, Sarah W, our wonderful vet Mark and John and Sylvie. Come on Merlin, you can do this thumbs.gif xx
xxlynne

Re: Merlin Shih Tzu DofB TBAss East Grinstead Foster

Post by xxlynne »

Merlin had his big op today. Our vet Mark took his left leg off above the elbow. It wasn't cancerous but the flesh had been severely infected it was oozing pus and the pain, discomfort and impact it was having on his general health and well being, meant it was necessary to come off and now Merlin can heal and not look back. Merlin was neutered and chipped and 1st vax so now we can relax and promote his healing and thankfully in the care of SarahW tonight he will feel the relief as the pain has gone. His dry eyes are a remaining concern but lets see how he comes through on the general health level..and lets hope his eyes clear naturally.

Linda his dog warden has just phoned to find out how he is. She spoke to the people who found him. He was on a verge of a country lane with nothing for miles other than it is a fairly busy road. They were coming back from tending to their horses and noticed him thankfully. To think this time last week he was in that plight and now he is healing in a cocoon of love.

Return to “Dog Rainbow Bridge”