Digby Boxer x DofB 02.2015 Guildford Kenns

Rescue Remedies dogs available for homing/awaiting adoption

Digby Boxer x DofB 02.2015 Guildford Kenns

Postby xxlynne » Wed Jun 28, 2017 8:47 am

Current Status: Available

Digby63.JPG

Digby's Story : Found stray/abandoned & unclaimed within a council pound: Rescue Remedies offered a Rescue place. Digby is neutered; chipped and fully vaccinated. Digby is a super sized Boxer.

Digby has challenges containing his own energy and can get mouthy when excited which due to his size isnt acceptable. Digby has had a lot if training and he can be commanded to stop and sit and settles back. He obviously needs to be introduced to a family home gradually so he builds up his repertoire of skills and keeps his energy under control Digby has entered his 3rd year and is maturing well. Social with people still a little novice with dogs but again well meaning. Currently in boarding kennels near Guildford

PLEASE NOTE: Dog laws have changed with zero public tolerance and prejudice against bull breeds and terriers. Our Rescue asks new owners to maintain dogs on lead in public spaces and manage encounters for at least 4 months until sure of their dogs instincts & skills, most of our dogs will need to be retained always on a lead, so as not to place dog's lives at risk, (Destruction or Control Orders are common place nowadays).

***PLEASE HELP OUR LONG STAY DOGS: Our min. adoption donation £175, which supports our work and Is non returnable. We will offer an alternative dog should our dog not settle given adequate time and reassurance. Rescue Remedies offers their dogs back up for life and exist on the goodwill of our supporters and volunteers.

Please click for Digby's thread for regular updates, new pictures and videos. To apply to home a dog, you must be ready within 7 days and complete a homing questionnaire submitted Online We work fast to secure our dogs their loving homes and can be talking to up to 10 families at any one time. Please remain open: We have the dogs we have. Our dogs need a supportive family to offer patience, time & tolerance to allow them to settle.
Digby50.JPG
Digby29.JPG

Digby's progress through our Rescue below
Original Referral information : We work with our dogs & often reveal a different picture & positive skills as they build trust, so this is the info we received on entry BUT not caste in stone Digby has been waiting for a Rescue place since Sept 2015 when he came into the pound at 7 months old having passed through 3 homes.
"I haven't had much of a life so far. I was abandoned in Sept 2015 aged just 7 months. By that time, I had already had three homes. When my most recent owner dumped me after just three days, I ended up in the stray pound. I moved from the pound to a rehoming centre and thought I was finally going to get a family to call my own. Unfortunately, I got myself into a spot trouble by grabbing sleeves and hard mouthing my human friends. Even though I was still just a puppy, my new rescue said I was unsafe for rehoming and sent me back to Safe and Sound in late 2015. I have been looked after by my friends at Safe and Sound ever since.
DigbyBx.jpg
DigbyBx1.jpg

For the past year I have been studying really hard with Naomi (my behaviour teacher) and trying to understand what exactly I have been doing wrong. We have been practising together twice a week, both at my kennels and in the nearby country park. Naomi even took me home for a few days so I could prove to her how well behaved I could be in a new home. I have learnt lots of new things and am now ready to graduate from Safe and Sound's training group.

My Best Bits:
* I am generally responsive to commands and is motivated by food, toys and praise.
* I generally walk nicely with my lead attached to the front of my Mekuti balance harness.
* I can walk past people and other dogs, and can briefly greet them so long as both me and those I am meeting are calm. I have not met dogs whilst off lead.
* I can walk past wildlife with little interest (on lead).
* I am housetrained.
* I settle well on a bed or blanket when no-one is engaging with me.
* I have been left alone in the house for up to 3.5 hours and settled nicely.
* I am not destructive in the house, but very occasionally, I might steal something hoping that you might then play a game of ‘chase-me’!
* I travel well in the back seat of the car and have been on a four hour round trip with no issues whatsoever.
*I do not appear to have issues with resource guarding. I must confess that I am particularly fond of a tasty bone and may move away from close contact, give a hard eye and stiffen if attempts are made to take my beloved bone away - please get your own!

My Challenges:
* I am an enthusiastic dog and occasionally, will still show some boisterous behaviour such as jumping up and body barging.
* I will still sometimes tug my lead if I am unable to perform activities I want (such as interacting with a playful dog whilst I am restricted on lead).
* At home, in particular, I have periods where I get over excited and ‘mouthy’ – using my mouth on human hands and arms. If this behaviour isn’t treated appropriately and early on then it still has the potential to escalate into nipping, vocalising and grabbing.
* Being physically moved, or pulled by the collar, can also result in hard mouthing and trigger vocalising and grabbing of hands/arms that are in contact with me.

However, I am easy to redirect. I am able to show impulse-control and am responsive to my handlers, which means I can be swiftly and calmly directed into more appropriate behaviour. Although I do still pose a risk of showing the grabbing behaviour, by following the advice laid out in my behaviour training plan I can be easily managed, including by visitors. Naomi x
xxlynne

Re: Digby Boxer x DofB 02.2015 Gatwick Kenns

Postby ChrisE » Wed Jun 28, 2017 12:45 pm

Oh what a handsome lad is Digby. Looking forward to seeing him flourish in Rescue Remedies in preparation for his forever home. :welcome.gif: Digby
ChrisE

Postby xxlynne » Thu Jun 29, 2017 7:30 am

Well we hadnt realised our Rescue had a huge Digby hole in it until the lad arrived. We now feel fulfilled as Digby is home with us until his family steps forwards. Digby has been growing up, in Rescue and although other Rescues have either not entertained taking him on or sent him back, I sincerely think his future can become rosie by keeping his energy employed and under his control. We have taken him on at the point, due to Naomi's ongoing support, he is coming into his adulthood.

Digby is a BIG boy, he is taller than our large dog Edie. He is 99% Boxer and has his little toy which he parades on meeting anyone. Snubbed by a few dogs in the paddock when he play bowed, he stood still, blinked and moved on having looked at me 'Oh I wanted to be friends...' looking at me ...'I'll win them over!' Meeting humans he has the articulated lorry wagging back side, classic boxer. Stunner.
xxlynne

Postby Hoonercat » Thu Jun 29, 2017 9:00 am

He is stunning love4.gif
Hoonercat

Postby Sarahk » Fri Jun 30, 2017 10:12 pm

Even more so in the flesh Hoonercat thumbs.gif

Digby is one big boy - I couldn't stop the Scooby-dooby doo tune going round my head when I met him this afternoon 0002.gif]
"Digby-digby-doo, where are you, we've got some work to do now" [0128.gif]

Feast your eyes on Mr Fabulous ...
DSC06629.JPG
DSC06642.JPG
DSC06632.JPG
DSC06634.JPG
DSC06625.JPG
DSC06635.JPG
DSC06638.JPG
DSC06641.JPG

Heart fill with love.gif]
We love walking the Kennels Dogs - would you like to join us?
Click here for our Dog Walking Questionnaire
Sarahk

Postby Sarahk » Fri Jun 30, 2017 10:17 pm

and there's more ...
DSC06646.JPG
DSC06643.JPG
DSC06651.JPG
DSC06650.JPG
DSC06654.JPG
DSC06655.JPG
DSC06656.JPG
DSC06658.JPG
DSC06663.JPG
DSC06664.JPG
DSC06666.JPG
DSC06668.JPG

Wowser indeed thumbs.gif
Sarahk

Postby staffylevi » Wed Jul 05, 2017 9:35 pm

Fantastic pics! What an absolute stunner. love4.gif
Doin' it for the staffies ...
staffylevi

Postby Sarahk » Sun Jul 09, 2017 6:25 pm

Digby was a good boy on his walk on Friday, needed a drink though, straight from the bottle ! 0002.gif]
IMG_6699.JPG
IMG_6700.JPG
IMG_6701.JPG
Sarahk

Postby Sarahk » Sun Jul 23, 2017 1:06 pm

Digby enjoying his walk with Stuart on Friday :D
IMG_6900.JPG

Bless him he wasn't at all sure about the stile on the bridge, looked at it for ages before deciding he was brave enough to try going over it 0002.gif]
That's the way Digby thumbs.gif
IMG_6901.JPG
IMG_6902.JPG
IMG_6903.JPG

Happy lad :D
IMG_6904.JPG
IMG_6905.JPG

Good boy Digby love4.gif
Sarahk

Postby Debbie(tarakisha) » Sun Jul 23, 2017 1:12 pm

Lovely boy is our Digby love4.gif Charlie and I "experienced" the stiles with him last week (Digby that is not Stuart 0002.gif] ) very funny watching him size them up. At one point he tried to get his large frame under it and looked rather bemused. Love him love4.gif
Debbie(tarakisha)

Postby RosC » Sun Jul 23, 2017 4:42 pm

I wasn't fortunate enough to walk Digby but I did meet him in his kennel yesterday. He is absolutely stunning, bigger than you may think but such a beautiful boy and very gentle taking treats! I can't imagine that he will be with us for long. Good luck Digby love4.gif
RosC

Postby marknsal » Sun Jul 30, 2017 7:24 pm

Digby, not the biggest dog in the world but pretty big when you see him eye to eye in his kennel with his tail wagging and his toy in his mouth. Walking Diggers he is a pretty typical Boxer full of energy with a glint of good natured mischief thrown in for good measure but as he has not had the most stable of starts you have to be mindful to do your part in working with him. Not hugely treat focused but very human focused and such a good lad.
Really good to meet him and he really does not pull that much.
marknsal

Next

Return to 1. RESCUE REMEDIES / OTHER BREEDS