Glynis Shar Pei DofB ?2010 - 15.08.19

In loving memory of dogs that have passed
xxlynne

Glynis Shar Pei DofB ?2010 - 15.08.19

Post by xxlynne »

Glynis4.jpg
Glynis left this morning leaving Jessica and all of us as Angels must.... 15th August 2019
Glynis.jpg
Current Status: Homed Glynis's Story: Glynis is our little celebrity! She appeared on BBC News in July 2017 (Clip is Here!) to draw attention to her terrible case of neglect and cruelty; she was used as a breeding machine in a puppy farm before she came to us. This girl has been through so much; she has now come out the other side and, with our vet's care, has fully recovered from her physical ailments.

Glynis is down in the dumps in kennels and desperately needs a home of her own where she can relax, surrounded by the love of her family. Glynis is not for cats or small furries and would prefer a calm home as an only dog where she can have her humans to herself and rid herself of her impoverished past. Glynis will thrive within a routine; she loves her walks, her food and her snooze time. Glynis enjoys gentle affection. She is medium-sized and walks well on a lead. Glynis has proved herself in a home during temporary foster stays.

Before she arrived at our rescue in 2017, Glynis was found dumped by a member of the public who immediately took her to a vet due to her state of awful health and neglect. The vet called the dog warden and the warden then took Glynis to a second vet. Glynis was in a disgusting state and was quickly diagnosed with pyometra, a potentially fatal infection of the womb. She was very thin and her claws were wrapped over three times, and growing into her pads (look carefully at the photo below - she hasn't got extra claws, but curled claws) due to lack of walks or claw clipping. It was very difficult for her to walk due to the length of her claws, and the pain they must have caused her. Rescue Remedies offered a Rescue place saving her life. Glynis is now neutered and chipped. She has also had her ears cleaned and her claws cut. Glynis has had a dental, and her eyelids have been operated on for entropion. She is fully vaccinated.

If you are interested in rehoming one of our dogs, please complete our ONLINE HOMING QUESTIONNAIRE. It is always the first step in our rehoming process. Upon application, you must be ready to take in your new dog within seven days. For more detailed information, please see our Homing Process.

Please support our work and help our long stay dogs: Our minimum adoption donation is £175. This supports our continuing rescue work and is non-refundable. We exist solely due to the goodwill and donations of our supporters and volunteers. Our dogs need supportive families who will offer them patience, time and tolerance whilst they settle in their new homes. Our Rescue offers all our dogs back-up for life.

Please note: Dog laws have changed, with zero public tolerance and prejudice against bull breeds and terriers. Our Rescue asks new owners to keep their dog on a lead in public spaces and manage and support its encounters with new dogs and people, so as not to place the dog's life at risk. Destruction and Control Orders are commonplace nowadays.
Glynis3.JPG
Glynis58.jpg
Glynis145.jpg
Glynis49.jpg
Glynis's progress through our Rescue is below.
We work with our dogs, who often reveal a different picture and positive skills as they build trust.
Original Referral information:
25.05.17: We took Glynis in as an emergency, and transported her straight into our vets. The dog warden who saved her travelled an hour each way. Her vet had told her she had pyometra, where the womb lining is full of puss - this is often fatal. We are giving her every chance.
Glynnis1~2.jpg
Glynnis2.jpg
xxlynne

Re: Glynis Shar pei DofB ?2010 Gatwick

Post by xxlynne »

Oh, I cried when I reached our vets and began to hear about little Glynis. Mark & Laura have never seen such a severely neglected dog in all their years.

Today her blood tests came back fine, apart from her womb infection (pyometra). Laura spayed her and took all her 'gunk away'. Gemma our vet nurse cleaned her ears as best she could - they were just full of more gunk and her ear canals have narrowed as a consequence of extreme neglect. Then her claws: Each of her claws had grown around three times - one having gone into her pad and out the other side. She may need one of her toes amputated at a later date. Her teeth will also need to be done at a later date. Vaccinations also at a later date. Her eyelids are entropian and will need to be done in the future as her eyes are quite deep seated and covered with gunk.

Glynis was found dumped and unable to walk, with a dark blood coming out of her when it was not her season. She was taken to a vet, who the called the dog warden. Linda, the dog warden then took her to her vet and they suggested putting her sleep as the vet costs to treat Glynis would be tremendous. I was called, as the dog warden, Linda was so upset and knew her council could not afford such horrendous vet costs. I spoke with the vet, and she had given up and said she didnt think Glynis would make it. I said very firmly 'but isn't it worth giving her that chance?' Linda drove Glynis over Dartford bridge into our vet's care.

Glynis was quietly lying in the vet kennel and walked out now her claws are clipped. Wonderful discussion with Laura. She told me the RSPCA inspector had been that afternoon to see Glynis and they are putting notices up in the area she was dumped in just in case someone spills the beans. They will take to court and prosecute, but Glynis had no chip - no trace.

Will up load pictures of our little thin lizzie hobbling around the paddock.

She has no back leg muscles. They are just wasted to nothing. She is very under weight at 14 kilos - she should be about 20. Her fur is good, all things considered - soft as velvet with no evidence of fleas. Her temperament is really good: gentle and receptive. She wants to drink bowls full of water, so we have to restrict her and measure it out, or else she'll just make herself sick. She had a wee, a poo, and tonight she has had two small meals and is in a room in my house where there is no chance of my over keen dogs worrying her.
xxlynne

Re: Glynis Shar pei DofB ?2010 Gatwick

Post by xxlynne »

Look carefully bottom left rainbow middle right a deer stands watching over Glynis
Look carefully bottom left rainbow middle right a deer stands watching over Glynis

022.JPG

020.JPG

016.JPG
xxlynne

Re: Glynis Shar pei DofB ?2010 Crawley W/E foster

Post by xxlynne »

NB I intervened at the end as she had been on a drip all day and she was excessively drinking.

This morning she woke and pottered around. She is dripping puss, which is the aftermath of pyometra. We called out vet to check and they were not surprised and said it would seize over the next few days. Enjoyed her small meals and took her medication easily. She has proven to have a dear dear temperament even when I microchipped her. Glynis won many hearts today.
KateM17

Post by KateM17 »

My first weekend foster, and I took home the lovely Glynis. After reading her thread, I wasn't quite sure how she would react to me after everything I could imagine she has been through. What a dream of dog! We left the kennels, medication in hand and words of advice from Lynne. What can I say.......She travelled well in the car, looking out of the window as we drove to Crawley. We got home and she wandered around, sniffing and then checked out the garden. She kept herself to herself and fell asleep on the duvet that was centre stage of my living room. At dinner times, she waited patiently. For a dog that is underweight, she didn't rush it, but she did make sure she had licked the bowel clean! Dessert was a minty dentistick and she is quite partial to a few chicken/liver treats! She knows sit and takes her treats nicely. She is intelligent too, knows exactly where to go for the treat cupboard! Glynis adores cheese! But then so do I, so I popped to the shop for some ham. She likes that too! On a more serious note, it was time to bathe her feet.......now that she didn't like! The bark took me by surprise, but at least I know there is a bark to be heard! She sits and allows you to place her eye drops. On Sunday I saw a wagging tail after I had popped out for 10 minutes to get milk (and some doggy biscuits!), I think today was the day for me, after two days she finally trusted me enough to touch and bathe her feet. They are still very sore and swollen but she is walking on them. She also came to me for a cuddle, rather than me to her.......So in a nutshell, Glynis is a darling girl, polite when taking treats,travels well, gentle on the lead and stays close and more importantly is giving us humans a chance after everything she has been through........ oh and did I mention............. housetrained, the garden was the place to go. A very humbling and rewarding experience. She is a truly trusting little gem of a girl. With Lynne paving the way for her recovery I know she will find the forever home she rightly deserves. Kate x
Tim

Post by Tim »

It just breaks your heart when you read Glynis story....... crying1.gif]

Lynne introduced Rachel and I to her this afternoon, first thing we had to do was swap over her harness and her current one was a tad too small, so so trusting, she stood there patiently whilst we both harnessed her up, being in the paddock we let her off lead but to be honest she just had a sniff around and then sat with us.

She was quite intrigued with the clicking noise of the camera
DSC03658.jpg
DSC03645.jpg
She could hear Lynne coming, with her lunch..
DSC03653.jpg
DSC03637.jpg
DSC03639.jpg
DSC03643.jpg
DSC03649.jpg
As time went on we even started to get a tail wag when we stroked and just talked to her... Heart fill with love.gif]
One Photo Can Save a Life

We love walking the kennel dogs - would you like to join us?
Click here for our Dog Walking Questionaire
https://rescueremedies.wufoo.com/forms/ ... tionnaire/
ChrisE

Post by ChrisE »

I had seen Glynis's profile last week when she came into the kennels. It was heartbreaking to see what this poor girl had to suffer and how she could have so easily been put to sleep. I am so glad that Lynne took in this lovely girl and gave her the chance of survival. As a way of saying thank you Glynis seems to be showing just how grateful she is to be given this chance.

I was pleasantly surprised when I first saw Glynis close up. Initially she seemed smaller than I had imagined from looking at the pics. Once leaded up it was obvious that she was eager to begin the walk. Glynis is such a gentle walker with no pulling whatsoever - a pleasure to walk. At the start of the walk I have to admit that there were occasions when she would stop as if unsure whether she wanted to go on. However with gentle persuasion she moved on, on each occasion.

I would like to think that she will gain more and more in confidence the longer she is with Rescue Remedies. However over and above this, the ideal result would be for someone to come forward and adopt this lovely girl and give her that much needed chance to experience what it is like to be in a loving, caring home with people who do genuinly care about her. :crossfingers.gif:

Here's a video of our walk today, which in itself is amazing when you look back to when Glynis was first rescued.

KateM17

Post by KateM17 »

My second weekend foster with the lovely Glynis. I collected her on Friday and it was straight to a small family BBQ. She mixes well with adults and teenagers and was quite partial to being stroked and being made a fuss of. She doesn't like laying on patio's, but once she has a blanket, she soon settles and you wouldn't know she is there. She is quite happy to watch what is going on around her. She doesn't beg, but was happy to sit and gently take pieces of chicken (when offered) from the one and only chicken kebab (which I am sure was made just for her). Once home, she quickly settled and slept through the night, only getting up once to re-arrange her blankets. She likes a lie in and I had to wake her for breakfast on Saturday and Sunday morning! She is excited when harnessed at home and heads straight for the front door. If you are not right behind her, she walks back and forth as if to say 'come on then, lets go!' Crossing roads to the park, she knew 'wait', and stood patiently until she was told to 'over'. We did pass a dog on the other side of the road, which she did bark at. Not sure what that was all about, but the owner was very interested in her and her story. Glynis even offered up her belly for a little rub! She likes to be close to you when at home and if she can't see you, she will come looking. She ventured upstairs a couple of times, just to check out where I was. Chilling on the patio, she didn't have any interest in the lawnmower. Once asleep, she does 'snore' (not loudly!). Her paws are still sore, eyes still a bit 'gunky' but she has put on a little bit of weight. She's a good girl, she eats well, sleeps well, takes her meds well, walks well, takes treats nicely, housetrained, and will come and sit beside you for cuddles and strokes. I'm really enjoying having her stay over the weekends.
KateM17

Re: Glynis Shar Pei DofB ?2010 Gatwick Kenns

Post by KateM17 »

100_0939.JPG
Another weekend with Glynis and oh my gosh how she has changed in the few weeks she has been in Lynne's care. She has had her eyes and dental done and a skin tag removed. We got home tonight and it was like home from home, she sniffed around the garden and couldn't wait to get out for her walk. Glynis is loving the attention and is partial to a few milky biscuits now and is gentle when taking her treats along with her house training still being perfect. Currently she is sleeping and we know that she is chilled as she is snoring... again! Glynis feels comfortable when she is around her human companions as she loves cuddles and wants to be with you and will come looking for you if she can not see you. She has definitely made her mark within our hearts the few times she has stayed with us and look forward to the next time we get to foster her (next week!). From where she was a month ago to where she is now she probably doesn't know that her life is only going to get better. Glynis is a beautiful girl who is embracing her home comforts and when she finds her forever home she will be forever happy. More walkies tomorrow and a run in the park on Sunday and hopefully more chilled out photos to come (she is a bit camera shy). I'm just smitten love4.gif
Attachments
100_0940.JPG
100_0935.JPG
100_0934.JPG
100_0928.JPG
KateM17

Re: Glynis Shar Pei DofB ?2010 Gatwick Kenns

Post by KateM17 »

Glynis 3.jpg
Glynis 1.jpg
Glynis 2.jpg

Look at that smile, what a stunner! The weekend started on Friday collecting Glynis from kennels. Before we left Lynne was able to take out four stitches from her eyes which are healing well from her surgery. She jumped in the back of the car and sat nicely looking out the window on our way back home. Glynis loves her walks so much so she had three walks on both Saturday and Sunday. We saw many dogs both on and off lead and she seemed quite interested in meeting them! Her leg muscles are getting stronger and she walks briskly to start with and then settles down into a steady pace. I don't think Glynis is one for cats, whilst she has yet to be tested she took a keen interest in a neighbours cat from across the road. When in a family environment she interacts and stays awake but once she gets home she likes to sleep a lot! Glynis does a perfect 'sit' for treats and she is a joy to have around the home.

Return to “Dog Rainbow Bridge”