Dog on Dog aggression (help needed)

PeterM

Dog on Dog aggression (help needed)

Post by PeterM » Wed Jan 02, 2019 11:45 am

Hi

I rescued a dog from rescue remedies about 18mths back called lenny. He was excellent with other dogs, until about 6mths back.

He was dominated\attacked by the same dog (alsatian) and a pack of dogs including the alsatian about 4 times in the same number of weeks.
Every time he sees a large dog now he gets very defensive and goes for them if they show him certain signs. If i see a large dog i dont know I always put him on the lead. As an aside he has a number of large dogs as friends which he is fine with, including a dominant rottweiler x lurcher.

What has changed recently is that he got into a fight with a blue staff with known temperament issues (both off the lead) and a bulldog that wouldnt stop pestering him and licking his bum.

Today i saw another bulldog and it was clearly out of control as it was pestering children playing football and other dogs. I saw this and put Lenny on the short lead (1.5ft), but, the bulldog ran over and started pestering lenny, so lenny reacted and attacked it. He got hold of its neck and wouldnt let go for about 30 seconds.

Can anyone suggest advice or trainers I can call to see if this can be remedied.

nada.c

Re: Dog on Dog aggression (help needed)

Post by nada.c » Wed Jan 02, 2019 12:53 pm

Hi Peter,

Firstly, I want to say I'm sorry that Lenny has been attacked. That must've been frightening for you and him!

Sounds like you've done some good things to help Lenny manage the situation - keeping an eye out for other dogs, and putting him on the lead when you've been concerned. Unfortunately you cannot control how other off lead dogs behave (and whether their owners can manage them), so it might be best for now to avoid going to off lead areas.

Right after a stressful incident, it's important to give your dog quiet time away from the stressors, as stress hormones can stay in the body for up to 72 hours. If the stress hormones remain in his system, then the next stress trigger continues to build up on what was there before, which means he can become more sensitive to stressors when he's out on his walks. Time away from stressors means doing things with him at home (rather than taking him out for walks), taking him out at quiet times of the day, or taking him to areas where there are fewer dogs and where you and he can both walk without being on alert all the time.

A good positive reinforcement (force free) trainer can also give you techniques on how to rebuild Lenny's (and your) confidence around other dogs. A good place to find a trainer near you would be through the Association of Pet Behaviour Counsellors: www.apbc.org.uk/pet-owners/need-help-now. There's also a good group on Facebook 'Dog Training Advice and Support', which is UK based and can recommend trainers local to you.

Many of us have been in your shoes, including me. And with the right support, you and Lenny can be in a position to enjoy walks with other dogs around.

:goodluck.gif:
We love walking our kennel dogs! If you'd like to volunteer too:
https://rescueremedies.wufoo.com/forms/ ... tionnaire/

Rescue Remedies_2

Post by Rescue Remedies_2 » Wed Jan 02, 2019 2:12 pm

Hi ya!.gif

Hi Peter,

It sounds as if you were sensible to put him on a lead. You are getting good advice here, and I hope that there will be more Staffie Rescue volunteers who will help you.

In the meantime, here is Lenny's thread - we would love an update on Lenny if you get the chance: http://www.rescueremediesdogrescue.co.u ... =15&t=5829

Aside from his recent confidence issues, we hope Lenny is doing well!

Hoonercat

Post by Hoonercat » Wed Jan 02, 2019 3:01 pm

I'd avoid walking him in that same place, if people let their dogs off-lead as much as it sounds like then it's going to continue to be a problem. Or at the very least, only walk him with his friends, on-lead, or at a time when you know there aren't as many dogs being walked (might be hard to fit around work though). As Nada said, each time it happen his stress levels will only rise, far better to give him some play time in the garden and maybe just street-walk on lead than take him to an area where there are a lot of off-lead dogs and risk more incidents which will just exasperate the problem.
Epsom has plenty of green spaces, maybe try to find one that isn't as popular with dog walkers? I honestly don't think a trainer will be much help if you carry on using the same walking area, they cannot alter the behaviour of other dogs or their owners, which is your main problem.

Hoonercat

Post by Hoonercat » Wed Jan 02, 2019 3:18 pm

the bulldog ran over and started pestering lenny, so lenny reacted and attacked it. He got hold of its neck and wouldnt let go for about 30 seconds.
Lenny isn't attacking, he is acting defensively. Sorry if that sounds pedantic but it's important to differentiate the two as it can alter the way you look at these situations. He is doing what a human would do when feeling threatened, where a human might hold another person's arms to stop them from striking out Lenny has to use his mouth to stop the other dog attacking him (as he perceives it).

PeterM

Post by PeterM » Sun Jan 06, 2019 10:43 pm

Hi

Thanks for all the suggestions, its most appreciated.

I have started walking him in different places and put him on the lead if I see other dogs that he doesn't know (or i know he gets upset by), but, again while on the lead yesterday, an off the lead poodle snarled and lunged at him, only missing his hind leg by an inch, thankfully, he didn't react this time and I praised him for it. The owner didn't even react, apologise or tell his dog off, just walked off.

I walked him today multiple times and he met about 10 dogs (some were his friends) without a reaction from them or him, so maybe its just bad luck.

Return to “Behaviour & Training”