Jordon Ambull x DOB 02.13 Bulgaria

Dogs that have found their forever home
Hoonercat

Re: Jordon Crossbreed DOB 02.2013 Gatwick Kenns

Post by Hoonercat »

Lovely long afternoon walk with Jordan today after another 10 minute greeting in his kennel :D Finally managed to get him off his back, attach his harness and off we went.
As always he was excellent with Tia and has pretty much given up on trying to get her to play. The first few minutes were typical Jordan,very excited to be out and wanting to play tug with his leads, then grabbing Tia's lead (run free!!!) but he soon relaxed with a bit of firm encouragement. Jordan did very well today, lots of people out and about walking their dogs and he was very good, much improved on previous outings. He did of course insist on grabbing every stick in the woods, before pulling the roots out of the river bank (he looked very proud of himself after that huge effort thumbs.gif ).
Making new friends
Making new friends
Walk1.jpg
Walk2.jpg
Walk3.jpg
water1.jpg
water2.jpg
water3.jpg
water4.jpg
water5.jpg
water6.jpg
Hoonercat

Re: Jordon Crossbreed DOB 02.2013 Gatwick Kenns

Post by Hoonercat »

Jordan has come to spend a long weekend with us, though it seemed a shame to waste a beautiful day so we headed off to Ashdown Forest for the day. He was of course very excited to start with but was totally knackered by the end, and is still snoring away on the sofa :D We saw a huge improvement where people are concerned today, lots about and not a single murmur from Jordan.
walk1.jpg
walk2.jpg
walk3.jpg
walk4.jpg
walk5.jpg
walk6.jpg
walk7.jpg
walk8.jpg
roll1.jpg
roll2.jpg
lick1.jpg
lick2.jpg
lick3.jpg
lick4.jpg
lick5.jpg
stand1.jpg
stand2.jpg
stand3.jpg
sleep.jpg
Hoonercat

Re: Jordon Crossbreed DOB 02.2013 Gatwick Kenns/Dartford W/E

Post by Hoonercat »

Sadly Jordon goes back to kennels tomorrow as I promised Nessa a few days out. He has been an absolute pleasure to have here and really feels like he has settled. He is good with Tia - he still tries to get her to play occasionally, she still tells him off - but he accepts it well. He is great with the cats and walks over to say hello as if it is the most natural thing, though the cats always tell him off and he never reacts. He is very cheeky and will 'steal' things that have the potential to be chewable, though he doesn't actually chew, he just seems to use it as a comforter :smiley-gen132.gif: If you tell him 'no' or try to take it from him he sees it as a game, but if you talk to him like a naughty child 'Ooh what have you got?' he goes all shy and drops it, looking thoroughly ashamed of himself :D Even though I think we may be bestest friends, there are times when he flinches, fearing something bad is about to happen. For example yesterday he had a long cardboard tube in his mouth (which he is allowed to have) then dropped it. When I picked it up and went to play with him he dropped to the ground before scuttling away from me in fear, though I'm sure he trusts me but it's instinctive for him to fear the worst. He comes back as soon as you reassure him and only really does this if I have something in my hand, even a plastic washing liquid holder like today. So this weekend we've been working on letting him take things, giving him the naughty boy talk then lots of praise, keeping it at that level ensures he doesn't fell frightened at all.

So our walk in Ashdown Forest yesterday started with Jordon being very excited and lots of lead grabbing, though I was quick to remind him that by the time we'd finished walking I'd probably have to carry him back to the car. :D This morning's walk was completely different, out for an hour and not once did he grab the lead, he was so calm throughout and I think beginning to understand that he doesn't need to expend all his energy as quickly as possible. We said hello to the horses, and again he does this so gently, as if it's the most natural thing in the world. He wanted a face to face but while I trusted Jordon, I wasn't so sure about the horse so thought better of it.
horse1.jpg
horse2.jpg
He's also feeling much more relaxed around strangers, again not a mumur from him today out on our walks and the more he is exposed to people the more he will learn to trust. He's been so good with the cats that he is allowed off-lead in the garden. He also managed to squeeze himself through the Tia-sized dog flap today, how he managed that I do not know :D
garden1.jpg
garden2.jpg
garden3.jpg
garden4.jpg
garden5.jpg
garden6.jpg
garden7.jpg
garden8.jpg
garden9.jpg
garden10.jpg
I mentioned when Jordon stayed with us in November that he was possessive off attention and growled at Tia a couple of times, but he's far more settled with her now and has no problem sharing. They both sleep together at night and yes they both share cuddles and Jordon is happy to use Tia as his pillow :D
bed.jpg
I should also mention that he has no chase drive where the cats are concerned, one of them has just scuttled across the floor in front of him and he just sat there watching her. thumbs.gif
He does love to play whenever you offer it to him but he is just as happy cuddled up on the sofa. He has that lovely puppy feel to him but it's not constant and always welcomed - while I was in the bath this morning he was intrigued by the bubbles :D He has really improved where food is concerned and no longer tries to sit on you when you are eating :D though he still sometimes gives you those puppy dog eyes. He does need training where off-lead play is concerned as he likes to jump up a lot in his excitement and enthusiasm to get you to join in and, as much as he wants you to throw a ball for him, giving it up is soooo hard to do :D
Jordon is proving himself to be a very fast learner, especially on his walks. He's gone from super-bouncy to super-connected in a short space of time and I think that mainly comes from trust which is quickly followed by a willingness to please, he has the potential to the perfect dog for someone willing to give him a bit of time to settle. love4.gif
Sarahk

Post by Sarahk »

I had the pleasure of walking Jordan on Friday :D
image.jpg
He's quite a cheeky lad !!!
image.jpg
A bit of lead play to keep me on my toes at the start of the walk but a rope toy helped sort that out and very quickly he was walking calmly on the lead and we both enjoyed a lovely walk :D
We love walking the Kennels Dogs - would you like to join us?
Click here for our Dog Walking Questionnaire
Chris86

Post by Chris86 »

I've been making an effort to say hello to Jordon at his kennel door since he first came to Gatwick a few months back. At first he would just bark and run out to the back of kennels, he wouldn't take treats from my hand. Gradually over time he's accepted treats from me while still giving a nice bark afterwards, but he's been nowhere near as standoffish. Yesterday was the first time he didn't bark at me at all, he took treats and was licking my hands and all the while he was happily wagging his tail and had very relaxed body language.

Today was my first time actually taking Jordon out for a walk. His favourite member of kennel staff harnessed him up for me and Jordon was happy for me to join him in his kennel. It was great to see his more relaxed attitude, he had no problems in being stroked or with me putting his leads on. Once outside he was so easy on the leads after a playful grabby start! We had a potter around in the woods where Jordon had fun chewing on as many sticks and roots as he could find, very good at moving on when asked though. He was slightly wary when he saw someone walking behind us but with some encouragement moved on. Not long after a man on a bike was stopped in the middle of the path, Jordon slunk to the side of me and used me as a shield and moved past with no issues. He seems keen to keep an eye on everything around him and much preferred the open fields to the narrow paths. He grew with confidence as time went on, going from walking beside me to exploring up front.

Jordon enjoyed a nice back scratch back in his kennel and again was happy to be stroked. This boy does a great sit for a treat, he doesn't even need to be asked! I'm glad he's decided he can trust me, I got to see more of the Jordon that I've seen in the updates in this thread. Such a lovely boy :smiley-gen132.gif:
Such a great smile!
Such a great smile!
SAM_0412_opt.jpg
Jordon investigating the interesting sound of cockerels
Jordon investigating the interesting sound of cockerels
Chris86

Post by Chris86 »

Jordon greeted me at his kennel door with a big doggy smile and waggy tail this morning, he was up on two legs and licking at my hands. Inside with him I had to take it a bit slower, he was a bit anxious and did give some nervous barks at me. I gave him some space to get used to me, today the familiar faces of his kennel staff friends weren't there. Gradually he started to come around and approached me for some yummy cheese before going back to his bed, still clearly wary but no more barking. He allowed me to put the harness over his head then he had a nice little chew on the straps. The thing that seemed to settle him the most was when I offered him his rope toy, not wanting to push him too much we had a little game of tug and then I let him be while sitting next to him on his bed. Next thing I know Jordon was bumping his head into my arm then climbing onto my lap for cuddles. From then on his whole body language changed, he was very happy to be stroked and that wonderful puppy side of his personality came out. I knew he'd relaxed fully when he started rolling around pleading for belly rubs with lots of gentle play mouthing woo.gif] Great to see him opening up like that.

Again Jordon had a bit of lead play at the start of our walk but soon was more focused on chewing branches :smiley-rolleyes010.gif: Lots of encouragement for him as he tends to stop and make sure there's no one sneaking up behind us. We managed a full loop today, he turned back a few times but with a gentle pull and more encouragement he moved on nice and confidently. He was interested when a jogger passed us and he just had to keep his eye on her as she disappeared into the distance, the only time he pulled on the walk! He was also great when waiting for a horse to pass us, he was so calm.

Back in his kennel he instantly jumped into his bed, legs up in the air and it was belly rub/play time again! I sat with him for a while, he decided to climb up on my lap once more to give me some sloppy kisses and lots and lots of big hugs as he lent into me. It was sad saying goodbye to him as I love seeing him in this way instead of the fearful dog I've watched in his kennel for months. It's an ongoing process but he's definitely showing more trust with me after these last two walks, something that seems to be key with Jordon.
Cheeky boy
Cheeky boy
"MY stick!"
"MY stick!"
Chris86

Post by Chris86 »

No reservations from Jordon today, no needing to convince him that I'm not a threat. Straight away in his kennel he greeted me like a lifelong pal :D A little bit of playful grabbing at my coat but that soon stopped when I gave him his rope toy and we had a game of tug. Jordon then clearly told me it was cuddle time by plonking himself down onto my lap then rolling over for belly tickles. A few face washes and it was time for us to go walkies. As soon as we were out onto the grass he showed me his great commando crawl and wanted some more belly rubs!

He was much more relaxed than the previous two times I took him out. A lot more of his nose down sniffing, investigating, and checking out the wildlife. Much less looking back or needing encouragement to move on. His trust with his walker definitely seems to reflect in his confidence while out walking. We had a sit down and relax on the common and he again just plonked himself down on me for cuddles. Jordon really is an affectionate boy once you can convince him you're a friend. He's really worth the time and commitment!
Jordon Profile_opt.jpg
Jordon Curious_opt.jpg
Such a great sit!
Such a great sit!
Jordon Smile_opt.jpg
Jordon Smile2_opt.jpg
Jordon Smile3_opt.jpg
Jordon Laying_opt.jpg
"Commando crawl time!!!!"
"Commando crawl time!!!!"
"Look at me, I'm a Dachshund!!"
"Look at me, I'm a Dachshund!!"
"Oh my.... I'm sooooo funny!!"
"Oh my.... I'm sooooo funny!!"
Chris86

Post by Chris86 »

I walked a very relaxed Jordon this afternoon. A little trouble harnessing him but in the best way - Jordon decided that it would be so helpful to roll around and give big two paws on the shoulder cuddles, lots and lots of affection :smiley-gen132.gif: He's shown he has the ability to overcome his wariness of new people and given time he can learn to trust, then he repays it back tenfold. I already have such a soft spot for this boy love4.gif
SAM_0653_opt.jpg
"What'cha got there!?!?"
"What'cha got there!?!?"
"Yum!"
"Yum!"
Hoonercat

Post by Hoonercat »

Jordan what are you doing to me?? I am seriously mad about this boy, he's absolutely perfect. He can be serious, he can be a complete clown, and he can be the most affectionate dog you could wish for.
A lovely greeting in his kennels as always then we headed home. Off-lead as soon as we came in, he didn't notice the cat lying on the sofa at first so went about his usual arrival ritual of giving us a second lovely greeting before he turned to say hello to his favourite spot on the sofa. He nearly jumped out of his skin, paws off the floor, then resumed as if nothing had happened. :D I don't even give a second thought to the cats being in the house anymore as he is so good with them.
So yesterday was a very busy day for walks, as the sun was out (mostly), meaning 3 long walks for Jordan and lots of dogs to meet. Of all those dogs he only took exception to one, a rather unruly Husky who kept pestering Jordan and assuming a dominant pose got a bit of a growl on the fourth attempt but nothing more. We met dogs of all shapes and sizes from Bulldogs to a lovely little dashund wire terrier cross and Jordan was faultless. No problems whatsoever passing people (lots of people at that), he watches them closely but showing huge improvements. As for his lead-grabbing, it's something that has been discussed many times on his thread but this weekend I thought 'Yeah I should be telling him no, but then maybe I shouldn't?' I use a very strong extended lead which he will never bite through, but having let him play with it over the weekend it's obvious that he doesn't want to bite through it, he just uses it as a toy to run around with, more as a flossing tool than a tug toy :D He's clearly getting a lot of fun out of it, he's not harming anyone (he stays away from fingers) and you really get to see just how daft he is, it's actually quite endearing even when he uses you as a springboard :D I think we, as owners, sometimes create an 'issue' out of nothing because it feels like it's something we should be doing, but giving him free reign to play with it as much as he wanted actually made for a much more relaxed and enjoyable walk - we even took bets on how long he could go without doing it :D As a caveat, I only do this with a certain type of lead, not a regular material or short lead.
In the house he's still a sneaky little devil where my slippers are concerned, and will often disappear for a minute or two only to show up with one in his mouth :D Here he is caught red-handed.

Today he proudly walked around the living room with a dog puzzle which was 4 times the size of his head, he thought it was such an achievement. And here he is showing how to use a dog flap designed for a dog half his size thumbs.gif

This weekend Jordan was left alone twice, once for an hour and once for an hour & a half. Both times I came back to find no damage what so ever, though of course my slippers had been moved lol.gif I should also mention that neither of my slippers, despite Jordan's attention every weekend he is here, have suffered even the slightest damage. He's not overly keen on being left, ie you have to trick him, but he does settle after a little initial jumping around.
I can honestly say hand on heart that Jordan would make a rather splendid addition to this household. He's at that stage where he is more than happy to chill on the sofa if you want to, but still has that puppy feel to him, and we all love that puppy feel, especially when it can be turned off on command :D Give him some slack and he will have you constantly smiling; give him some love and you'll get it back by the bucket load. Most dogs love you because they want to, but Jordan also loves you because he needs to - it's something that he's missed out on in his earlier life and he's grasping every bit of affection he can find now and absorbing it all. Wonderful boy love4.gif
sofa1.jpg
sofa2.jpg
cat2.jpg
cat.jpg
knowle1.jpg
knowle2.jpg
knowle3.jpg
run1.jpg
run2.jpg
run3.jpg
run4.jpg
walk1.jpg
walk2swan.jpg
walk3.jpg
walk4.jpg
walk5.jpg
walk6.jpg
walk7.jpg
walk8.jpg
walk9.jpg
walk10.jpg
Chris86

Post by Chris86 »

Jordon and I took off for a nice walk alongside Missie who was being walked by Stuart. Both seemed very happy in each other's company, I could feel Jordon pulling to try and keep up with Missie at times! We went on a new route (to me) and he seemed to love all the new smells. He was great when we were passed by 3 people and their dog in the woods, he was alert to them but not a grumble from him.

Lots of before and after walk cuddles and belly rubs in Jordon's kennel, he's such a big softie. He gives the biggest and best hugs and snuggles you could wish for :smiley-gen132.gif:
Jordon & Missie.jpg
Jordon & Missie2.jpg
Jordon Smile.jpg

Return to “Dogs Rehomed”