Jordon Ambull x DOB 02.13 Bulgaria

Dogs that have found their forever home
xxlynne

Re: Jordon Crossbreed DOB 02.2013 Gatwick Kenns

Post by xxlynne »

Jordon was out in the pack today and as soon as he saw me he knew he'd have a lovely walk. Jordan really needs a lift his eyes and muzzle and paws are very sore and his skin / fur are lacking luster: 2 years in years has taken its toll. Jordan needs a change so he can begin to feel safe around new people so I decided to take Jordon over to Gatwick and gradually build his confidence up.

Jordon occupied the front seat and as you can see he kipped for the journey
JordanJan1.jpg
JordanJan2.jpg
JordanJan3.jpg
JordanJan4.jpg
JordanJan5.jpg
JordanJan6.jpg
JordanJan7.jpg
Jordan has a huge bed full of blankets and will find his 2 shepherd neighbours a comfort. Sweet dreams Jordan
Hoonercat

Post by Hoonercat »

Popped in to walk Jordan late this afternoon, as Lynne says he is struggling and his head seems to be all over the place. Took about 10 minutes before he relaxed enough to literally collapse in to me for a cuddle and let me put his leads on.
No such worries with Tia, he was delighted to see her :smiley-gen132.gif: We set off on a very muddy walk and Jordan was soon chirping up, though thankfully he didn't go back to full-on Jordan until after we had slid through the worst of the mud. We had a walk around the common, Jordan tried to get Tia to play but she was having none of it, before heading out to the main road, Jordan not being at all fazed by passing traffic. On the way back we had to navigate along a thin and muddy grass verge and I got to see the Jordan that we saw when we fostered him - not much room so he tried to walk in the road, a firm command and he was straight back on the grass, same again a little further on. From walking Jordan at Broxbourne, this side of him is hard to imagine as he's always the goofy dog wanting to play and be silly, but he's actually very good at listening and obeying commands. Back to kennels and I spent about 20 minutes with him, hoping to settle him in but he was so happy to have someone in his kennel that all he wanted to do was play - ok partly my fault for offering him the tug toy but he loved it, rolling around on his bed playing with his toy while I gave him a belly rub and a scratch. I left with a very heavy heart and the promise that he'll be spending next weekend with us for some TLC - he's really struggling in kennels and could ideally do with a long break, if anyone can offer him this.
CoraMc

Post by CoraMc »

I'd read plenty about this gorgeous boy and was keen to offer him a warm Gatwick welcome and to help him settle. Jordan was unsure on our first meeting and took a bit of convincing I was friendly. Then suddenly he decided I was and off we cavorted for a walk. Jordan settled well, has moments of giddiness but was mostly so delighted to be out and to sniff and check out his surroundings.

He's an easy walk and checks back what you're up to. And he has a hilarious habit of wanting to chew sticks, branches and trees on his walk. A few times he wanted to pause and have a chew before proudly picking up his stick/branch/tree (well, he tries!) and trotting off happily with it.

I gave Jordan his space on our walk as we'd just met, however back in his kennel, he leant into me and playfully bowed and confirmed our friendship. My sense is it's best not to rush in, let him decide you're friends and then you're best mates! He's a lovely boy and very welcoming once he trusts. Perhaps he's been let down on the past, yet he so wants to like you.

Jordan is a loyal boy and not just incredibly handsome, he has a dear personality. Perhaps overlooked for his size and sensitivity, while the former is a given, the latter is rapidly overcome. Definitely ready for a loving home.
Steve A

Post by Steve A »

I met Jordan for the first time today. It's important to take things very slowly and gently as he'appears to be wary of new people . He is though clearly capable of building trust and accepting you as a friend. I needed the assistance of an established friend to harness him as he was backing away from me and upset. Once harnessed we were fine .He walks very well enjoying lots of sniffs. He's obviously decided to disregard advice not to pick up and chew sticks as at regular intervals he'll pounce and proudly display his latest find. He is completely unfazed by other dogs we met several including a free running ,uncontrolled 5 month old Lab puppy that was all over Him. Jordan was exemplary totally disregarding the youngster. We also met a galloping horse , he merely had a look and displayed no reaction. He was nervous of people heading towards us he tried to head the other way however with gentle encouragement and a biscuit or two he overcame his nerves. He's a lovely chap all that's required is the gentle touch and patience. Steve A
Steve A

Post by Steve A »

I've taken Jordan out several times over the last few weeks and always enjoy the company of this gentle lad. He is still a bit nervous on meeting and the services of his the kennel staff are still necessary to help relieve his initial anxiety. Once out he's gentle, walks well on the lead and is unfazed by other dogs. A long chat as you walk assists in his building trust. Once back at the kennel he'll enjoy a game of pull and all nerve twitches dispel. A point to note if walking - the last couple of weeks he has backed off at the stiles on the bridges on the Garwick walks he is insistent he doesn't want to negotiate them. Easier to adjust the route and keep him calm. Steve
Sarahk

Post by Sarahk »

Jordan out with Steve on Friday :D
image.jpg
We love walking the Kennels Dogs - would you like to join us?
Click here for our Dog Walking Questionnaire
CoraMc

Post by CoraMc »

After a few weeks of walking with Jordan, I'm smitten!! Kiss of love.gif

I think folks might be put off by his size (he's not a small boy but not massive either) and by his energy. In a few short weeks he's decided we're friends and although I only see him at weekends, his self assurance has grown steadily. Today I barely needed any help harnessing him and any help I have is to manage his 'puppet on a string' approach to being harness, it's all a game to him.

During his walk today, with a stick (and a small tree at one point) in his mouth, he remains calm and responsive. He listens to all you say, loves to be told he's a handsome boy and enjoys being out of kennels. If he dies become too springy, I've found this instantly resolved by giving him a stick. If you pick up his stick, he's instantly transfixed and rushes to play but I've found him very conscious of where my hand is with no even near misses as he grabs it.

Hilariously, today Jordan decided he'd rather pull a small fallen tree with him rather than the measley stick I'd found for him! He was not put off by how big it was and proudly trotted along trying to drag it. Again, with a stick in his mouth, I've found he hasn't spooked at anything nor gone Tigger like in open spaces.

After his walk today, Allison and I joined him in his kennel for cuddles. He's so voice responsive, showing us his 'sir', 'paw' and he quickly learnt to 'leave' his treasured rawhide bone when asked. He then buried it in his bed, adorable!!

For a dog savvy family, Jordan will be an immensely rewarding addition. He is lovable and keen to love. And I'm definitely falling for his charms.... Kiss of love.gif
Hoonercat

Re: Jordon Crossbreed DOB 02.2013 Dartford W/E

Post by Hoonercat »

Jordan is so sweet. :smiley-gen132.gif: The welcome I got from him in his kennel yesterday was truly touching, silly-boy just wanted to play and roll around with delight while I was trying to fit his harness :D Jordan is looking fantastic and seems very happy at Gatwick, not only is his coat thicker and softer but his whole aura is different, the staff at Gatwick should be very proud of themselves (and I know he's a favourite with the girls there).
We haven't fostered Jordan for a while as Tia has been having some health problems and it was just too much for her. No fault of Jordan's at all, it was his first break for ages and he expected the Tia he knew at kennels so wanted to play but she really wasn't well enough for it. However, she is getting back to her old/younger self so I thought she was ready for another Jordan visit :D I shouldn't have worried, as Jordan was so good with her all weekend, left her pretty much alone and instead directed his play at Chelsey and myself. He's also spent the entire weekend in the house with the cats, he's excellent with them though keen to say hello whenever the chance arises and quick to run if they swing at him lol.gif I had to laugh at him last night; he was lying on the sofa to my left with the cat to my right and he thought he could get in a sneaky sniff, nearly jumped out of his skin when the cat turned to face him and hissed as he was 1 inch away from her :D Most of his time was spent with Sox, the cat who has sworn to rid the world of dogs, though by last night even the rarely seen Tabbie was comfortable enough to be in the same room, though at a safe distance.

Jordan, the cat and the ball thief :D

But enough about the cats, what about Jordan? He has been wonderful company. He was quite hyped on his walk before we got home, lots of lead grabbing and I didn't have anything on hand to distract him, though fortunately there were lots of dogs for him to say hello to. Once home he spent the first couple of hours attacking my head and face with his tongue and by early evening had settled down, after plenty of play sessions. Jordan is a clown, no doubt about it :D He's all lanky legs, looks a sight skidding around the wood floor and has some of the most comical expressions you'll see on a dog, from his serious and thoughtful head tilting to his scatty, wide-eyed excitement. I'm sitting here typing with a big grin on my face thinking of his daft antics, such as coming upstairs with me, disappearing back downstairs only for me to find him sucking on my Homer Simpson slipper :D And the remote control. And one of my exercise grips. :D But he doesn't do any damage, he's quite puppy-like but without the chewing. He can go from sleepy to playful in an instant if you instigate it, though he's not demanding of play if you're busy and will take himself off for a sleep.

Out and about Jordan does show a mistrust of strangers, and yesterday a couple of people received a low growl from him as we passed by. Not a big deal, better a dog that clearly communicates anxiety than one who springs a surprise, and people are understanding as long as you explain the reasons rather than just leaving them to draw their own conclusions. However, by today he was showing improvement and had contact with two men out on his walk. One was full of compliments having seen Jordan interacting with his own dog and asked if he could say hello. I explained that Jordan can have trust issues but the man said that's fine, my fault if anything happens and then proceeded to give Jordan a treat. Jordan didn't want the treat but still stood with the man and had contact with his hand - he seems far more relaxed with someone who has a dog with them. Shortly afterwards and my pet hate, a man walking past admiring Jordan and reached out to stroke his head, but Jordan was fine with it. :smiley-gen132.gif: The area we were walking in was fairly busy with people which seemed to help, rather than an area where you come across the odd stranger now and then.

These were my attempts to get some nice, quality shots of Jordan posing. It started off quite well...
3 serious.jpg
'Not sure I can hold it for much longer...'
1 serious.jpg
And that was the end of that... :D
2 silly.jpg
4 silly.jpg
6 silly.jpg
Here he is with Tia who, thanks to Jordan's respectful manner, was a much happier girl.
Jordan Tia 1.jpg
And with one of the many toys/household objects that he gathered, though impressively it was only the toys that he chewed.
Jordan ball 1.jpg
And out on his walk today. I had expected to find some wonderful pictures of Jordan, only to discover that most of them had what I can only guess to be leftovers from a certain dog's tongue blurring the picture lol.gif Hmmm...
dogs 1.jpg
dogs 2.jpg
tree eating 1.jpg
tree eating 2.jpg
walk1.jpg
walk2.jpg
walk3.jpg
walk4.jpg
walk5.jpg
walk6.jpg
walk7.jpg
walk8.jpg
walk9.jpg
walk10.jpg

Jordan has been an absolute pleasure. He has a lovely puppy enthusiasm mixed with the ability to be calm and relaxed when needed. He really is a clown and will have you smiling with ease. He loves to play, be it with your hands or chasing a ball in the garden or just trying to get you to chase him, and such fantastic body language that really tells you how much fun he is having, the front paw dance looks oddly cute on a dog of his size :D I honestly think he will get over his trust issues in the right hands and given time to desensitise. He needs more social contact with people, something he is getting at Gatwick, and most experienced AmBull owners will recognise and understand how to manage him and slowly up his confidence.
When I dropped him back at kennels today I went off to sign him back in, and in those few seconds one of the kennel maids was already in the kennel welcoming him back, saying Jordan is her favourite, and I know she's not the only kennel maid who's heart has been stolen by Jordan. He really is a cracker love4.gif
Last edited by Hoonercat on Sun 06 Mar 2016 21:59, edited 1 time in total.
Hoonercat

Re: Jordon Crossbreed DOB 02.2013 Dartford W/E Foster

Post by Hoonercat »

Just one more video, check out those dancing paws :D

Steve A

Post by Steve A »

My lovely adventures with Jordan have continued over the past few weeks. He's so good when he's out we've met other dogs on and off leads and in varying degrees of excitement /aggression Jordan is always completely unfazed and non reactive hardly giving a glance. Easy as can be on the lead. We've met a variety of people including runners , walkers and workman he seems to be gaining confidence and although he has a good look and keeps an eye on people approaching he's no longer trying to back track. On first entering the kennel he's still reserved but with gentle encouragement and the presence of his kennel worker friends we can get him harnessed. On return he's great - games and fussing ensue you become submerged by a great big, happy ,affectionate dog. Anyone offering a home will have to patiently gain his trust but I'm convinced once in place you'll not have a finer or more joyful friend. Steve A

Return to “Dogs Rehomed”