Barley Parson's JRT DOB 2007 Rowfant W Sussex

In loving memory of dogs that have passed
SarahB(froggs)

Re: Barley Parson's JRT DOB 2007 Rowfant W Sussex

Post by SarahB(froggs) »

Barley started to play with a couple of toys we have. He saw me trying to take a picture and dived behind the coffee table, then it became a game, he's a saucy bundle of fun lol!
cheeky.jpg
SarahB(froggs)

Post by SarahB(froggs) »

I'm not sure about you, but I do love your neck scratches
I'm not sure about you, but I do love your neck scratches
Barley seems to be more relaxed around me than my partner, but I am putting that down to walking him up at the kennels as a volunteer dog walker, so he knows me a little, but he is trying his best with Ralf. We let Barley come to us under his own terms, if he requests attention (nudge under your hand with his nose) then he will get a nice slow head massage or neck scratch, but then he will take himself a little away from you to have a sleep. We are just learning his little signs of when he would like affection and when he needs his space. He is gentle around his toys. I pretend to chase him when he has picked up a toy and enjoys running around, his little tail wagging away. He hasn't barked at anything yet. I've had the tv on and dishwasher, he seems to ignore this. Our next door neighbours have two young children and you can hear them from time to time, but Barley picks up his ears but nothing else.
Oh good grief, she's taking photos again!
Oh good grief, she's taking photos again!
sleep on lap.jpg
SarahB(froggs)

Post by SarahB(froggs) »

Yes, walking Barley on Friday really brought it home for me on how low he was getting in kennels. He is a lovely little boy who is really trying his best with us, bless him. He is sleeping...a lot!
asleep good photo.jpg
SarahB(froggs)

Post by SarahB(froggs) »

Very proud of Barley on our little walk this morning, he completely ignored 2 x barking JRT behind a garden fence this morning. We have only given Barley two little walks over the weekend as he seems to be very tired and has been catching up on some much needed sleep. Although Barley has access to our bedroom at night, he seems quite happy sleeping on his bed in the kitchen and not a peep from him. He has been totally clean in the house, we regularly take him out in garden for tiddles, he responds to his name when we ask him to come back in from the garden. I have to take him back to the kennels tomorrow (horrid work getting in the way) :( Barley has been the perfect house guest :smiley-gen132.gif:
SarahB(froggs)

Post by SarahB(froggs) »

He loves his tennis ball lol!
looking at ball.jpg
ball in mouth looking at cam.jpg
blurred ball.jpg
SarahB(froggs)

Post by SarahB(froggs) »

Barley has been out in the garden today, looking after me as i did some much needed weeding! He's been very calm, which I wasn't expecting today as our lane is a footpath, normally it is quiet but being a bank holiday we have had a lot of walkers and dogs going pass. I kept him on a long line, just in case, but Barley has ignored them, he looks and watches them go pass, but that's it, he was more interested in what I was doing and sun bathing :biggrin.gif:
SarahB(froggs)

Post by SarahB(froggs) »

I gave Barley a rugby ball, which is far too big for him to play with! but it has rain water in it and he was fascinated by the sound it made when I stepped on it.
What's inside Barley?
What's inside Barley?
barley with rugby ball.jpg
biting rugby ball.jpg
SarahB(froggs)

Post by SarahB(froggs) »

Barley is back with us for April :D He is very good in the house. First test was yesterday, as I had to get up early for work. I wasn't sure how he would react with me leaving him, Ralf was upstairs asleep, I let him out for widdles, then gave him a treat on his bed. I heard a little whine as I shut the back door but Ralf said that was it. Barley could have gone upstairs to Ralf but just settled back down on his bed until Ralf came down later on.

He has not chewed anything in the house. He did pick up one of my socks this morning and looked rather proud of himself, but an offer of an ear scratch was far better and dropped the sock. He is not possessive around his toys and will offer them to you. But I am aware I would never snatch at a toy near him. He will keep an eye on you whilst you are eating, but doesn't come near you or make any sound. We do not titbit.

I have a recycling bag hanging up in the kitchen which he could get to, but he takes no interest in it, although if I was leaving Barley during the day I would remove it to avoid temptation, but at night he just sleeps.

When out in the garden, he has a good sniff around, but is normally more interested in what you are doing but loves to play ball with you.

We thought as Barley has been wary of Ralf, Ralf has been walking him, not me. When Barley sees his harness, inhibitions do go into the background, he has also been feeding him, this has helped Barley to become a little more comfortable around Ralf. It's early days but we can see an improvement as he will now follow Ralf out into the garden or if he calls him.

Brave little superstar :smiley-gen132.gif:
SarahB(froggs)

Post by SarahB(froggs) »

Barley seems to be settling in our home, destressing . He has stopped itching/biting his legs as much and the sores are healing, his winter coat has started to shed and his lovely brown markings are really showing through and of course his lovely soft spotty ears! He is really enjoying his walks lol! We are next door to a farm and Polo Club, so there are a lot of different smells to take in. Barley just looks at the cows in their barn and the horses being exercised, just taking it all in. He only pulls on the lead when he finds a good smell to sniff! apart from that he's happy to trot along with you. He ignores most dogs but if they get too close or are hyper, he'll give a little bark and then he wants to get on with his walk. We passed two joggers this morning, he just ignored them :D
Legs looking better
Legs looking better
SarahB(froggs)

Post by SarahB(froggs) »

Playing with his new toy
up in air with toy.jpg

Return to “Dog Rainbow Bridge”