In loving memory of dogs that have passed
Rescue Remedies

Basil Patterdale DOB 01.2009 - 16th August 23

Post by Rescue Remedies »

Originally posted Wed Jun 19, 2013 by xxlynne
Current Status: Homed
Basil11a.jpg
Basil (2).jpg

Basil's Story: Basil was found stray/abandoned and unclaimed within a East London council pound. We offered a rescue place to save his life. Basil will suit a Patterdale home who 'gets' the working terrier mindset. Basil is neutered, chipped and fully vaccinated. He was in boarding kennels in Gatwick and weekend foster regularly.

Basil is a great Patterdale who is alert, studious and intent. He is a Patterdale with a fawn fleck to his black-brown coat. Basil walks well on a lead and needs a low dog density area to be able to relax and enjoy the hedgerows. He has a little scarring on his muzzle where he has at some point 'gone to ground', and would do again if let off lead. Terrier = terra firma! An extender lead with his little muzzle on will keep Basil safe, yet allow him to enjoy the smells of his walk. Basil has no road sense. He is easy to handle and has a little edge to him so care is required around small furries, puppies running up to him, etc. Basil is a Patterdale down to his paw tips.

Basil needs a terrier-aware family, he can get flustered with intrusive dogs or strangers. Basil needs to be an only pet with no children in the household, terrier-proof garden without stepping stones, and exit management around the front door and gate.

If you are interested in rehoming one of our dogs, please complete our ONLINE HOMING QUESTIONNAIRE. It is always the first step in our rehoming process. Upon application, you must be ready to take in your new dog within seven days. For more detailed information, please see our Homing Process.

Please support our work and help our long stay dogs: Our minimum adoption donation is £175. This supports our continuing rescue work and is non-refundable. We exist solely due to the goodwill and donations of our supporters and volunteers. Our dogs need supportive families who will offer them patience, time and tolerance whilst they settle in their new homes. Our Rescue offers all our dogs back-up for life.

Please note: Dog laws have changed, with zero public tolerance, and prejudice against bull breeds and terriers. Our Rescue asks new owners to keep their dog on a lead in public spaces and manage and support its encounters with new dogs and people, so as not to place the dog's life at risk. Destruction and Control Orders are commonplace nowadays.

basil2DSC08531.jpg

Basil2.jpg

basil1DSC08541.jpg

Basil Out on a Walk in 2013.

Basil Still on His Walk!

Basil29.jpg

basil20131207-04.jpg

1535464_10153674461990077_2070059749_n.jpg

Basil's progress through our Rescue is below.
We work with our dogs, who often reveal a different picture and positive skills as they build trust.
Original Referral information:
Jun 18, 2013: Note from Dog warden: "Lynne, Have this boy. He is a 3 year old neutered male Patterdale. Ok with some dogs not ok with others. He's great with people but "we will never home him as he is a Patterdale so the powers above are talking about PTSing. (Put to Sleep)" He's already to go! Let me know your thoughts can you take? Mx"

Basil1.jpg

Basil10.jpg

BazilAug.jpg

Basil22.jpg

Basil5.jpg
Rescue Remedies

Re: Basil Patterdale DOB 01.2009 Farnham Foster

Basil greeted me in the same way as he greets everyone with a waggy bottom and joyful smile. We had a little walk and he settled in a travel crate and sped forwards to stop to pick up more dogs then on to the vets for vaccination. He was a joy in the vets, the briefest of concerns in his eyes as they met mine whilst Dan the vet put in the injection.

He was a quiet as can be in the crate travelling back and enjoyed the Walkers room whilst I was with other dogs. He travelled as my front passenger from the time we left the second kennels. We shared lunch and cuddles. Oh how I love this boy! Basil then met Rollo very nicely at Chessington as we were putting them both into kennels, he was a little too focused but was settling in his presence. He had a lovely meeting with Buster his next door neighbour!
Rescue Remedies

I had the pleasure of walking Basil this morning. He is kennelled next to Buster and when I took Buster out, Basil looked so excited I had to take him next. He is a gorgeous dog, even better than his photos. He was easy to walk and very responsive. When I stopped to offer him a treat, he thought it was cuddle time and tried to get as close to me as possible. I tried to take some photos, but he was so close at times - well almost in my lap - that it made it difficult. Please find space for this little chap in your life, he will not disappoint and deserves a forever home.
Rescue Remedies

Met Jane, a new walker,at the kennels today and we took the lovely Basil out. He is such a great little dog. We went on a slightly different route and he loved having the opportunity to check out the sights and smells. He met a couple of dogs on the way and just wanted to play with them. He is so sweet and affectionate. We sat down and asked him to sit for a treat, but he just wanted cuddles from both of us and did the lovely one ear up, the other down pose for us. He really deserves to be in a forever home, and to be given the chance to be a terrier!! He is a little treasure. :D

Cuddles with Jane

Rescue Remedies

Sue and I took Basil and Rollo for a walk together this afternoon. He was a little jittery initially around Rollo but they walked nicely together through the woods, at a small distance, and passed a couple of labs off lead too. Basil is a proper little scamp, buzzing and sniffing his way around. He loves cuddles and gets especially affectionate when put back into his kennel, jumping into my lap for a little extra attention. He's a handsome little chap and would no doubt thrive in a terrier friendly environment with that all important love and attention.
Hopefully Sue caught a shot of Basil having a nice dip in the stream but with Rollo not too far away we had a problem trying to catch anything that wasn't blurred as they scurried around. :dog:
Rescue Remedies

I walked Basil today, whilst new walker Bessie walked Rollo. We kept the dogs at a respectful distance, and ensured that we had water with us at is was very hot today. Rollo was his usual vocal self leaving kennels and Basil tried a little whine once or twice! Half way round the walk we stopped for a welcome water break and took the opportunity to capture a couple of photos. Basil also showed me that he likes to have his tummy tickled. They were both very good on the lead, even when a cyclist passed by. There were a couple of 'off lead' dogs, but they did not approach Basil and Rollo. On the way back to kennels, we let them visit the stream. Both of them went paddling, although I think Rollo would have gone for a full swim if we had allowed it. Once back at kennels, we took the dogs into adjoining grass runs to let them off the lead. Basil loved being off lead, and came back to me when I whistled. He also sat nicely for a treat and I feel he would be easy to train with food. I finally captured the one ear up, one ear down pose. When I sat down he moved in for cuddles and rolled over for further tummy tickles. He really deserves a terrier aware home. Someone is missing out on an adorable little chap.
Rescue Remedies

I was the terrier walker on Saturday at the kennels and thoroughly enjoyed the experience!! Little Basil is a great bundle of fun, into everything on his walk, notices the birds, the bunnies and has to sniff everything - but very very quickly. Once back home in his bed, he then wanted to kiss me and cuddle me, just such an affectionate boy. He will be great in a home, I can imagine him being the best companion, loving lots of cuddles and snuggles and then when out on a walk a really great partner, just wants to get on with the job in hand. Love this little boy Basil :love4:
Rescue Remedies

Met Basil today - how adorable :D
Rachel fell in love with him straight away. Very easy to walk and i finally managed to get a cuddle myself.
Rescue Remedies

Re: Basil Patterdale DOB 01.2019 Farnham Foster

Basil is a dog lovers dream boy. The most affectionate dog I've ever met :-) Took me a few minutes to get his harness on as all he wanted was a belly tickle. Enjoyed his walk. Took him to the paddock afterwards to have a little run. Threw the ball - he looked at me as though I was daft!!! However, one game he loved was throw the treat. His tail was wagging while he searched for and found his treats. Lovely boy. Xx
Rescue Remedies

Basil was great today walking with new walker Amy :D
Loved doing his terrier stuff along the lanes but made sure he had time for fuss, treats and cuddles :D
Basil's a top little terrier :D

Return to “Dog Rainbow Bridge”