Basil Patterdale DOB 01.2009 Guildford Kenns

Terrierrescue dogs available for homing/awaiting adoption

Basil Patterdale DOB 01.2009 Guildford Kenns

Postby Rescue Remedies » Wed May 28, 2014 8:57 pm

Originally posted Wed Jun 19, 2013 by xxlynne
Current Status: Available

Basil98.jpg

Basil needs a supportive family to offer time and tolerance to allow their new dog to settle. NB Our Rescue asks owners to maintain dogs on lead in public spaces and manage encounters, as dog law changes place dog's lives at greater risk. Basil needs a terrier-aware family who are happy to retain him on an extender lead with his little muzzle on as he can get flustered with intrusive dogs or strangers. Basil needs to be an only pet with no children, with sensitive family to his needs. His fosterers will give a full handover. A terrier-proof garden without stepping stones, and exit management around the front door and gate is required, as with any Patterdale.

Video: Basil Out on a Walk
Video: Basil Still on His Walk!

Known background: Basil was found stray/abandoned & unclaimed within a council pound. Terrierrescue stepped forwards to offer a Rescue place and save Basil's life. Terrierrescue was asked to take Basil, as he will suit a Patterdale home who 'gets' the 'working-type' terrier mindset. Basil is neutered, chipped and vax'd. He is currently in boarding kennels and foster weekends in Guildford.

Advert Basil is a great Patterdale who is alert, studious and intent. He walks well on a lead and needs a low dog density area to be able to relax and enjoy the hedgerow. "Basil spent the weekend out of kennels and was such fun and great company as always. He met up with his spaniel friend who has a calming presence on Basil and helps him greet other dogs well. He still hasn't quite grasped play time yet with other dogs but gave his best attempt with a friendly pug. Basil sometimes gets a bit over excited but is always alert and responds well to his commands. A firm "enough" gets him back listening and he really does love his commands. He walks very well to "heel" and "wait" and then "ok" when he comes to a busy road stops him in his track and also works a treat when harnessing him up or feed time. After busy day times out and about sniffing and exploring the commons he had a well deserved break in the pub. He loves the attention he gets and he does get a lot, people mistake this little boy for a puppy on so many occasions, its easy to see why with his happy go lucky character and bundles of energy"

Basil is a ?6 year old Patterdale with a fawn fleck to his black-brown coat. He has a little scarring on his muzzle where he has at some point 'gone to ground'and would do again if let off lead: Terrier = terra firma! An extender lead will keep Basil safe, yet allow him to enjoy the smells of his walk. Basil has no road sense. He is easy to handle and has no edge to him but care is required around small furries, puppies running up to him, etc. Basil is a Patterdale down to his paw tips.

Visit Basil's thread for daily updates, lots of pictures and videos. Please click to submit Online Application We will match you with a dog that suits your lifestyle, please remain open we successfully home 350 dogs per annum. We work fast to secure our dogs their loving homes.

***PLEASE HELP: We have to ask for suggested min. donation £175 at the time of adoption, to support so many dogs in kennels. We have no state sponsorship and exist on the goodwill of the public and our supporters. Rescue Remedies offers their dogs back up for life.
Basil29.jpg

See Basil's Thread Below. Watch his progress through our Rescue
Original Referral Details:Jun 18, 2013: Note from Dog warden: "Lynne, Have this boy. He is a 3 year old neutered male Patterdale. Ok with some dogs not ok with others. He's great with people but "we will never home him as he is a Patterdale so the powers above are talking about PTSing. (Put to Sleep)" He's already to go! Let me know your thoughts can you take? Mx "

We are going to take Basil as soon as we have a space
ImageImage
Rescue Remedies

Re: Basil Patterdale DOB 01.2009 Farnham Foster

Postby Rescue Remedies » Wed May 28, 2014 8:58 pm

Dawn and Graham travelled from Norfolk today to safely deliver Basil into our care. He is a lovely waggy tailed Patterdale and we are swooning.
Rescue Remedies

Postby Rescue Remedies » Wed May 28, 2014 8:58 pm

Basil greeted me in the same way as he greets everyone with a waggy bottom and joyful smile. We had a little walk and he settled in a travel crate and sped forwards to stop to pick up more dogs then on to the vets for vaccination. He was a joy in the vets, the briefest of concerns in his eyes as they met mine whilst Dan the vet put in the injection.

He was a quiet as can be in the crate travelling back and enjoyed the Walkers room whilst I was with other dogs. He travelled as my front passenger from the time we left the second kennels. We shared lunch and cuddles. Oh how I love this boy! Basil then met Rollo very nicely at Chessington as we were putting them both into kennels, he was a little too focused but was settling in his presence. He had a lovely meeting with Buster his next door neighbour!
Rescue Remedies

Postby Rescue Remedies » Wed May 28, 2014 8:59 pm

I had the pleasure of walking Basil this morning. He is kennelled next to Buster and when I took Buster out, Basil looked so excited I had to take him next. He is a gorgeous dog, even better than his photos. He was easy to walk and very responsive. When I stopped to offer him a treat, he thought it was cuddle time and tried to get as close to me as possible. I tried to take some photos, but he was so close at times - well almost in my lap - that it made it difficult. Please find space for this little chap in your life, he will not disappoint and deserves a forever home.

Gently taking a treat out of my hand

Looking good!

Rescue Remedies

Postby Rescue Remedies » Wed May 28, 2014 8:59 pm

Met Jane, a new walker,at the kennels today and we took the lovely Basil out. He is such a great little dog. We went on a slightly different route and he loved having the opportunity to check out the sights and smells. He met a couple of dogs on the way and just wanted to play with them. He is so sweet and affectionate. We sat down and asked him to sit for a treat, but he just wanted cuddles from both of us and did the lovely one ear up, the other down pose for us. He really deserves to be in a forever home, and to be given the chance to be a terrier!! He is a little treasure. :D

Cuddles with Jane

Rescue Remedies

Postby Rescue Remedies » Wed May 28, 2014 9:00 pm

Sue and I took Basil and Rollo for a walk together this afternoon. He was a little jittery initially around Rollo but they walked nicely together through the woods, at a small distance, and passed a couple of labs off lead too. Basil is a proper little scamp, buzzing and sniffing his way around. He loves cuddles and gets especially affectionate when put back into his kennel, jumping into my lap for a little extra attention. He's a handsome little chap and would no doubt thrive in a terrier friendly environment with that all important love and attention.
Hopefully Sue caught a shot of Basil having a nice dip in the stream but with Rollo not too far away we had a problem trying to catch anything that wasn't blurred as they scurried around. :dog:
Rescue Remedies

Postby Rescue Remedies » Wed May 28, 2014 9:00 pm

I managed to capture a photo of Basil on Kim's knee:

And this was the best shot of him in the stream, all the others were blurred!

Rescue Remedies

Postby Rescue Remedies » Wed May 28, 2014 9:01 pm

I walked Basil today, whilst new walker Bessie walked Rollo. We kept the dogs at a respectful distance, and ensured that we had water with us at is was very hot today. Rollo was his usual vocal self leaving kennels and Basil tried a little whine once or twice! Half way round the walk we stopped for a welcome water break and took the opportunity to capture a couple of photos. Basil also showed me that he likes to have his tummy tickled. They were both very good on the lead, even when a cyclist passed by. There were a couple of 'off lead' dogs, but they did not approach Basil and Rollo. On the way back to kennels, we let them visit the stream. Both of them went paddling, although I think Rollo would have gone for a full swim if we had allowed it. Once back at kennels, we took the dogs into adjoining grass runs to let them off the lead. Basil loved being off lead, and came back to me when I whistled. He also sat nicely for a treat and I feel he would be easy to train with food. I finally captured the one ear up, one ear down pose. When I sat down he moved in for cuddles and rolled over for further tummy tickles. He really deserves a terrier aware home. Someone is missing out on an adorable little chap.

In the stream

That pose with the ears!!

Sitting for a treat.

In the grass run.
Rescue Remedies

Postby Rescue Remedies » Wed May 28, 2014 9:02 pm

I was the terrier walker on Saturday at the kennels and thoroughly enjoyed the experience!! Little Basil is a great bundle of fun, into everything on his walk, notices the birds, the bunnies and has to sniff everything - but very very quickly. Once back home in his bed, he then wanted to kiss me and cuddle me, just such an affectionate boy. He will be great in a home, I can imagine him being the best companion, loving lots of cuddles and snuggles and then when out on a walk a really great partner, just wants to get on with the job in hand. Love this little boy Basil :love4:
Rescue Remedies

Postby Rescue Remedies » Wed May 28, 2014 9:03 pm

Met Basil today - how adorable :D
and Rachel fell in love with him straight away:

very easy to walk and i finally managed to get a cuddle myself:

A joy to walk :D
Rescue Remedies

Postby Rescue Remedies » Wed May 28, 2014 9:04 pm

Basil is a dog lovers dream boy. The most affectionate dog I've ever met :-) Took me a few minutes to get his harness on as all he wanted was a belly tickle. Enjoyed his walk. Took him to the paddock afterwards to have a little run. Threw the ball - he looked at me as though I was daft!!! However, one game he loved was throw the treat. His tail was wagging while he searched for and found his treats. Lovely boy. Xx
Rescue Remedies

Postby Rescue Remedies » Wed May 28, 2014 9:06 pm

Basil was great today walking with new walker Amy :D

Loved doing his terrier stuff along the lanes

But made sure he had time for fuss, treats and cuddles :D

Basil's a top little terrier :D
Rescue Remedies

Next

Return to 3. TERRIERRESCUE / RESCUE REMEDIES